Welcome Will Martyn | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Will Martyn

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Another 30 plus possession game in the VFL yesterday. He consistently finds the footy at that level. With our season shot I would like to see him get another game this week.

Reactions: 3 users

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
Has the right attitude and approach on field but just doesn't have the tools to make it unfortunately. Hope I'm proven wrong

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Give him the right role. Let him play on ball as a clearance and stoppage accumulator. Think he may surprise.

Reactions: 2 users

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
One of the few players in yesterday's game who looked a level above.

Reactions: 1 user

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Can anyone be *smile* providing stats on the success, or otherwise,

of unmatched Academy blokes?

I cant think of one.
what is success? staying on the list for 6 years of the greatest dynasty known to mankind? if so, i can give you 1.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
From what I've seen of him in the vfl reckon he's got the skillset that will most likely transition into AFL of all our young mids. I like his hardness and urgency in and around packs. Hopefully has the mind also and that his debut was merely stage fright.

Reactions: 6 users

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
He was putrid in his first game, but i can remember thinking the same of Mark Coughlan's first game, and except for injury would have went down as one of our best mids of the last 30 years.

Reactions: 3 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
From what I've seen of him in the vfl reckon he's got the skillset that will most likely transition into AFL of all our young mids. I like his hardness and urgency in and around packs. Hopefully has the mind also and that his debut was merely stage fright.

That's good news then and good on him if he does get another crack this year. It would be good if he got to the pre-season with a better memory than he probably has now of his performance at AFL level. I can't remember much of it except him being run down at one stage because he just wasn't aware of the tackler.

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
Is speed, spatial awareness & fast thinking/decision making something which can be developed? If not he will not make it

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Like him more each time I see him, has a bit of classy Miles about him , might not be a star , however I think he can be a very important cog in our midfield, I see Dow similar with more tricks, but a much lighter body, Dow may have to work on been a tad more outside for the time been. Forgetting our aging stars , it’s not a bad start MartYN, Dow and Bolton , definitely need to ad to it , however imho it’s not a bad start

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
what is success? staying on the list for 6 years of the greatest dynasty known to mankind? if so, i can give you 1.

lets say 100 games.

how many unmatched Academy players have played 100?

I cant think of any

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Is speed, spatial awareness & fast thinking/decision making something which can be developed?

you can accelerate the mind and improve spatial awareness, but WADA's test tubes will go fluorescent, and the AFL will be forced to do nothing for years

decision making and speed improvement are related IMO. its easier to make a good decision when you have more time. An 18yo could be trained to improve 5% I reckon???

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Is speed, spatial awareness & fast thinking/decision making something which can be developed? If not he will not make it
Yes, yes and yes but they need to be specifically trained. On the speed, you need to train maximal speed which equates to short bursts of high intensity efforts with large rest breaks. Couple this with a strength program and speed will most certainly improve. But by its nature improvements are measured in very small increments.

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
You cant teach spatial awareness but you can improve decision making under pressure which will lead to quicker responses. Brain training is a thing as much as muscle memory is.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
A pure inside mid does not need to be quick except those first few steps to burst from stoppages. That can be taught

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
A pure inside mid does not need to be quick except those first few steps to burst from stoppages. That can be taught
Correct. Inside mid needs speedy hands and a quick kick.
Foot speed is rated further down the list

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Inside mids still need to be able to cover the ground.

Especially under our setup where they need to transition defensively.

It's why we've shied away from playing anyone slow in there.

It;s the big question mark on RCD for Leysy. Hopefully it improves with fitness.