Who will be our next Captain? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Who will be our next Captain?

Grimes is captain, Mo. Looked pretty good on the weekend too. Back in town.
Yes, yes and I hope yes.
But in the worst case something goes wrong on Friday and Grimes has to come off. There needs to be a fallback and that appointment as a vice captain just might allow for some insight into who will be a good appointment into the future.

Not Charlie stuff, more I think Marles?

Last edited:
Yes, yes and I hope yes.
But in the worst case something goes wrong on Friday and Grimes has to come off. There needs to be a fallback and that appointment might just might allow for some insight into who will be a good appointment into the future.

Not Charlie stuff, more I think Marles?
If Grimes goes off, then we have a 3 time premiership captain on the field who could probably offer some leadership.

The same is true if Grimes stays on.

Sometimes titles are just titles.

This is a good topic. With Nank out for an extended period and Grimesy prone to a hammy, we need a prospective stand in skipper.

Shedda used to stand in for Cotch but he's gone.

You'd think it's too soon for Hopper or Taranto.

I reckon one of Bakes or Drioli makes a lot of sense. Other option is we just do what the Aussie test team have done with Steve Smith and we revert back to Cotch and look a lot better.

Reactions: 1 user
If Grimes goes off, then we have a 3 time premiership captain on the field who could probably offer some leadership.

The same is true if Grimes stays on.

Sometimes titles are just titles.
Of course, but why waste the opportunity especially when the celebration of Dan efforts in particular, is likely to provide further solidarity and further motivation to the whole group.

Of course, but why waste the opportunity especially when the celebration of Dan efforts in particular, is likely to provide further solidarity and further motivation to the whole group.
Sure, it's nice recognition.

But there's no point in saying D. Rioli is captain when Cotchin is out there.

Sure, it's nice recognition.

But there's no point in saying D. Rioli is captain when Cotchin is out there.
Don't take this the wrong way but you are living in the past. Cotch will always be the ghost who walks, but that is perfectly consistent with naming Rioli as a vice captain in the present circumstance of our leadership across the grpund, having been smashed by injury.

Baker would be a good choice as vc whilst Nank is out.

From next year on Perhaps Lynch as captain for a season or 2 then any of Tarranto Hopper or Baker after that.

Dusty, Dusty ,D-U-S-T-Y !

Give him a little more to get involved with.
( and I'd like to see him look Dangerfield in the eye at coin toss)

Dusty, Dusty ,D-U-S-T-Y !

Give him a little more to get involved with.
( and I'd like to see him look Dangerfield in the eye at coin toss)
I was about to say that there’s a little known player called Dustin Martin running around for us out there.

I would suggest we let Grimes and Nank share 1 first.
And go into games over the next 6-8 weeks without a back up.
That would be missing an opportunity to see how a Rioli or other might go as vice captain, with value for him and potentially the team, all for no good reason.

With Nank out what happens if Grimes gets injured or suspended??

Perfect time to nominate D Rioli as the Acting Captain. It’s time for the next generation of leaders to step up!