Who will be our next Captain? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Who will be our next Captain?

One of the hardest questions for us to answer.
Shouldn’t be grimes or Nank, in my opinion. Not Lynch, dusty, broad, vlaustuin. They are all 30 or over next year.

Out their option, but Rioli?

Almost feel like next years captain will only be elected because they have to. There is no stand out options.

Ideally a youngish captain. Unfortunately, we are lacking great strong-willed, extroverted/charismatic leaders to support a new/youngish captain...so probably someone like an experienced Lynch as skipper for 2024-25.

Our current list seems very introverted/shy.

When Cotch took over he had great support. Newman, Lids, Chapman...then throw in emerging leaders in Ivan, Jack R, Rance, Grigg, Shed...etc.

Martin in 2024
*smile* off the co Captains.
It was a dad decision then and a worse one now.
Grimes has been delist material for most of this year and Nakas not far behind.
What is the club doing?? The best player in the last 25yrs. Give him the job
Toby Greene Style

Reactions: 1 user
Email, mail, ring, GIVE THE CAPTAINCY TO DUSTY
Do not give the captaincy to Dusty. He doesn’t want or need the responsibility or the media pressure that comes with it. Just let him be his superstar self.
The one that is not being mentioned a lot is Short. I think he is a decent chance.
If I was picking a new captain now it would be Tommy Lynch but that is a short term pick. I would add Short, Rioli, Baker and Taranto to a leadership group. But the reality is we don’t know the personalities within the club and what sort of leaders they really are.

Reactions: 1 users
We really want a captain who can grow in the role as Yze grows into his role, thus someone who can be captain for at least 4 years. Still Taranto for me

I‘d like it to be Bakes, but whoever it is, let’s just have one. This co captain stuff doesn’t work for us.

Reactions: 2 users
Dusty captain is the obvious choice.

Not if he doesn't want it though.

There's far more to it than just on game day. Far more media, corporate functions, public speaking etcetera.

I'd imagine his game day output would be far greater without the responsibility of Captaincy.

If we give it to Dusty then have co-captains, onfield Martin will do the job as well as anyone, offield give the media duties to someone like Lynch. This is a totally workable scenario and won't be burdensome on either.

Reactions: 1 users
You don't know that and you are taking a guess unless your name is Ralph.
Dusty has made it clear that he does not want to engage with the media, unless you have living under a rock that has been obvious.
It’s impossible to be the skipper of an AFL team and not engage with the media.
It’s the same reason Buddy has never had a leadership position.

Bad state of affairs when we can’t find one that stands out. Some would be okay but we don’t need okay. Big contrast to 2017 with Cotch, Jack and Rancey.