Who will be the better player? Taranto or Hopper? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Who will be the better player? Taranto or Hopper?

Who will end up the better player? Taranto or Hopper?

• Taranto

Votes: 43 44.3%
  • Hopper

Votes: 22 22.7%
  • Couldn’t give a rats

Votes: 32 33.0%

• Total voters

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
Be really interesting to revisit this thread at the end of the season.
In 2 months! It can take half a season for new recruits to gel. Prestia’s kicking was awful in his first month or two, and Caddy didn’t really find his purpose until the second half of 2017. Nank, though… :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
It's not who outperforms who between Timmeh and Hopper.

It's the flow on effect for mine of whom is going to benefit from their arrival and thus get some clearer air to enjoy.

Dion Prestia for one will benefit and most certainly our Tiger King, Shai and also our great Skippa Chimp!!

Our center clearances should be better thus our defenders will not get their pants pulled down so readily either allowing for the defence to set up better and be more effective.

That should be an across-the-board improvement!!

And thats what is most exciting.

The RFC has replaced a cooked Shane Edwards and Kane Lambert on field with high quaslity replacements not kids.

It also has put more pressure on juniors such as Sonz, Ross etc to need to lift further to get game time.

Reactions: 12 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
It's not who outperforms who between Timmeh and Hopper.

It's the flow on effect for mine of whom is going to benefit from their arrival and thus get some clearer air to enjoy.

Dion Prestia for one will benefit and most certainly our Tiger King, Shai and also our great Skippa Chimp!!

Our center clearances should be better thus our defenders will not get their pants pulled down so readily either allowing for the defence to set up better and be more effective.

That should be an across-the-board improvement!!

And thats what is most exciting.

The RFC has replaced a cooked Shane Edwards and Kane Lambert on field with high quaslity replacements not kids.

It also has put more pressure on juniors such as Sonz, Ross etc to need to lift further to get game time.
Bingo.

Meteoric Rise

Tiger Cub
Feb 6, 2020
On paper recruiting these guys is like inserting 2 x prime aged Trent and Dion level players into our mid-section. It just looks like one of the most convenient pieces of recruiting since the Hawks fixed their key defence issue in a oner by getting in Lake which paid off to the tune of tri-secutive flags.

They are not Dusty level players but Cats just won a flag without anyone anywhere near that level. So they are not going to just take a final by the throat and put it to bed with flashes of total brilliance. But they are not on that sort of coin either, and it of course allows us to spread the high level salaries a bit wider.
To me, Taranto is the sort of player we have come to expect seeing in our teams. A great runner with sound but not exceptional skills, but terrific contest to contest player.

Hopper is what we haven’t had at all. That really strong bull inside mid who maybe has a couple better than him at it in the AFL but he is up there. I am intrigued to see how well that works for us, especially against the best teams in finals. But he should be able to at very least stop us from leaking a couple of wins per season when the big bodied mids get hold of us when our midfield is under strength. At best he also keeps players like Oliver and Petracca from carving us up in finals, which could prove crucial to our chances of getting anywhere.

Though slightly different mids, I think the thread question is vexed, as they seem very similar level players. Bloody glad we got em both though. I think only bad luck or a super finals performance from 1-2 opposition players will stop us getting places this year.

Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I don't care.

Both will play important roles in our team.

We won a flag a few years ago without great centre clearance stats. It isn't just losing clearances where we were vulnerable it was the clean clearances which allowed accurate delivery to the oppo forwards.

Most likely we will improve centre clearances, and around the ground clearances, but we will also make oppo clearances more hurried, more pressured and less accurate. All 3 are very important and we should improve in all those areas.

Tarranto and Hopper is a recruiting coup, and a big coup at that.

Don't care who is better, just care that both will make a big impact, just having them there will be an impact, but I am confident the impact will be very significant.

DS

Reactions: 4 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Over the last 2 years our biggest hole was our ability to win the ball at clearances and i hated seeing opposition so easily take the ball away from our mids and the final against brisbane and neal's dominance just highlighted that issue.
Cotchin , Bolton and Prestia tried but we just didnt have the depth specially when these boys were rotated

Hopper , Taranto , Martin , Bolton , Cotchin , Sonsie , Pickett , Graham , Short & Baker is a great mix with alot of depth talent and quality

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Both were brought to the club on big contracts to address issues at clearance.
They were beaten by the Dogs yesterday in this regard. Both have had a good game or two but also struggled a bit as well.
Off to a fairly moderate start at this point.

Reactions: 2 users

davidc0055

Tiger Matchwinner
May 23, 2011
Both were brought to the club on big contracts to address issues at clearance.
They were beaten by the Dogs yesterday in this regard. Both have had a good game or two but also struggled a bit as well.
Off to a fairly moderate start at this point.
Not just beaten, but smashed

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users