Who will be the better player? Taranto or Hopper? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Who will be the better player? Taranto or Hopper?

Who will end up the better player? Taranto or Hopper?

• Taranto

Votes: 43 44.3%
  • Hopper

Votes: 22 22.7%
  • Couldn’t give a rats

Votes: 32 33.0%

• Total voters
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Interesting stats.

I watched Hopper & Taranto very closely on the replay.

Taranto's positioning at stoppage is a bit questionable but he is very good at getting the ball which is the no.1 required trait of an inside midfielder.
It's just his disposal & decision making that's off & for every good thing he does the next passage or so seems to be a negative.
He does lack breakaway speed too. That puts many of his disposals under pressure as he struggles to get separation.
He's 4 games into a midfield role though. & clearly trying his heart out. I'm prepared to give him time & he's the best option we have currently.
I don't see him as a big problem & gets a tick.

Hopper? I'm a little less uncertain by at this point.
Against the Bullies I really didn't like his positioning at stoppage. Always seemed behind his opponent.
At times he goes to ground too often & like TT also lacks a bit of toe. I also don't particularly like his movement from contest to contest & question his workrate a little. He was coming back from injury so gets some slack there but it was noticeable & I've seen it before now too.
His kicking is also a bit suspect & misses many targets under no pressure.

We had Cotchin, TT, Prestia, Graham, Nank & Hopper all going through the middle. They're pretty one paced & samey as a collective.
When Bolton went in we looked more dynamic in that second term. I'd be looking to inject more of Dow, Sonsie & Pickett in there. We need pace when the ball hits the deck & separation as mentioned.

Hopper was great against Adelaide though so again I hope to see an improved performance against the Swans this week.

I hope both lads start to find their feet. They're still a work in progress for sure.

Reactions: 4 users

Tigga94

Tiger Rookie
Apr 2, 2023
Interesting stats.

Taranto's positioning at stoppage is a bit questionable but he is very good at getting the ball which is the no.1 required trait of an inside midfielder.
It's just his disposal & decision making that's off & for every good thing he does the next passage or so seems to be a negative.
He does lack breakaway speed too. That puts many of his disposals under pressure as he struggles to get separation.
He's 4 games into a midfield role though. & clearly trying his heart out. I'm prepared to give him time & he's the best option we have currently.

Against the Bullies I really didn't like his positioning at stoppage. Always seemed behind his opponent.
At times he goes to ground too often & like TT also lacks a bit of toe. I also don't particularly like his movement from contest to contest & question his workrate a little. He was coming back from injury so gets some slack there but it was noticeable & I've seen it before now too.

We had Cotchin, TT, Prestia, Graham, Nank & Hopper all going through the middle. They're pretty one paced & samey as a collective.
When Bolton went in we looked more dynamic in that second term. I'd be looking to inject more of Dow, Sonsie & Pickett in there. We need pace when the ball hits the deck & separation as mentioned.

Hopper was great against Adelaide though so again I hope to see an improved performance against the Swans this week.

I hope both lads start to find their feet. They're still a work in progress for sure.
Both going well. Don’t listen to Kane to much.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
You can imagine how much these 2 would've been briefed by Balmey or Dimma about the media.

Reactions: 1 user

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Interesting stats.

Ha they are just coming at the RFC from every angle, as they see the RFC is listing and taking on water faster than the Titanic and are swarming like a pack of gleeful hyenas trying to drill a few more holes in the side to maximise the damage.

Reactions: 2 users

Tig3

🐯
Nov 21, 2022
Both were brought to the club on big contracts to address issues at clearance.
They were beaten by the Dogs yesterday in this regard. Both have had a good game or two but also struggled a bit as well.
Off to a fairly moderate start at this point.
It must be said, they have been better than Prestia. Need a spike in performance from the meatball! Although it is an adjustment phase for Dion as well with a new look midfield

Last edited:

Tig3

🐯
Nov 21, 2022
Interesting stats.

Hopper’s kicking is alright, he’s actually a decent user by foot. Taranto is more of a hack kicker out of the packs and doesn’t lower the eyes as much, but if he keeps it within his limitations he’ll be a gun for us. Just needs to show some more composure. The more we see them the better they will get for us. I think we’re going to take a bit of time to find that right mix in the midfield, and it’ll also differ when facing different sides. Swans have some grunt in Parker and Mills but plenty of speed in the midfield so hopefully we plan accordingly, would love to see Shai spend a heap of time in there. Also Short would complement our current mix too, even if he floats in and out of the midfield, so he’s a big loss

Last edited:

mad_tiggy911

Tiger Legend
Mar 30, 2009
Yep. Must mix the midfield set ups with pace and flare. Bolton, Pickett, Sons etc. We’re too slow through there atm.

davidc0055

Tiger Matchwinner
May 23, 2011
I'm scared to look whenever either of them has the ball in the clear

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
I've found Timmy to be very underwhelming so far. Not what I was expecting.

Jacob has been good though.

Reactions: 2 users

Mantikorr

Tiger Superstar
Apr 26, 2006
Hopper is and always will be a better player than Taranto

Taranto's kicking is atrocious

Reactions: 1 users

asian tetley

Tiger Superstar
Jul 5, 2012
Hopper is and always will be a better player than Taranto

Taranto's kicking is atrocious
Our recruiting department/ list management team have been a bit slack in recruiting players with foot skills.
Hard to fathom why that would be.