Woke politics discussion | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Woke politics discussion

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
When you hear people complaining about the AFL's rules/laws of the game now being too "woke", you know the word has lost all it's meaning and anyone still using it just loses all credibility.
Yep, *smile* ridiculous from Robinson, as most of what he says is.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Yep, *smile* ridiculous from Robinson, as most of what he says is.
Yeh, it continues his pattern of spewing random nonsense.

Mince must be questioning if the damage to his "credibility" is worth it.

I don't watch the show often but I never fail to be surprised at just how incoherent Robinson is.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Is this the right thread for this name change?

Moreland is now called Merri-bek. Good to see an indigenous name to one of our suburbs but this one I don't like much. Hyphened? There's already a Merri (train station) on the Mernda line.

Was this really necessary? What about people with that surname? I'll assume one of our posters, Coburg Tiger, would know/live in that region.

glantone

dog at the footy, punt rd end
Jun 5, 2007
HAHAHAHA!!!! Very good Harry. Very funny!!! Thanks for sharing that. Humour is a great way to disempower the absurd, the fanatical, the idealogues of every persuasion.

Reactions: 1 user

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Is this the right wing version of woke?

Sounds like books have been cancelled.
There is no "right wing version of "woke".
WOKE: aware of and actively attentive to important facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice)

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Is this the right wing version of woke?

Sounds like books have been cancelled.

It's how right wingers keep warm, by burning books. They have always been the most supportive of restricting texts they don't agree with, of classifying everything they can as somehow a state secret (I thought the people were sovereign in a democracy, how can there be secrets from the sovereign?), etc.

There is a very telling line in that article:

I’m furious that there has been talk of putting guns in teachers’ hands, but I’m not trusted enough to put a book in a child’s hand.

What a mess the USA is.

DS

Last edited:

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
WOKE: aware of and actively attentive to important facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice)

I have my own definition of the word "woke."

Woke = Awake.

To me it really is that simple and i don’t consider being labelled "woke"an insult in the slightest.

The right has misappropriated the term "woke" as a way of disempowering those fighting for racial equality.
and every time someone misuses the term they are contributing to that disempowerment.

But does it disempower somone or just make people who misuse it look stupid?

Moreland is now called Merri-bek. Good to see an indigenous name to one of our suburbs but this one I don't like much. Hyphened? There's already a Merri (train station) on the Mernda line.

Was this really necessary? What about people with that surname? I'll assume one of our posters, Coburg Tiger, would know/live in that region.

I'm a Moreland ratepayer and supported the change. It’s a council and a level of government needs to be above negative aspects of history. We still have the road, train station, pub and Post Office named after Moreland. So Moreland isn't being wiped (or cancelled as some people like to put it) from history.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I'm a Moreland ratepayer and supported the change. It’s a council and a level of government needs to be above negative aspects of history. We still have the road, train station, pub and Post Office named after Moreland. So Moreland isn't being wiped (or cancelled as some people like to put it) from history.
Yeah I noticed those Bin. I thought you were an Altona boy for life. :))

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Woke has some positive concepts attached to it that are needed but in some areas it just goes too far.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
You can take the westie out of the boy, etc.

Is Essedon considered west? probably not by the local toffs :))
First you were a southwesterner and now you're a northwesterner. Bummerland is northwest too.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Its gonna be pretty funny,

When Dutton and Sky News cry

'Cancel Culture!'

When we dont print Charles, whose been king for 10 minutes,

On the $5 note :rotfl1

Im gonna watch SkyNews tonight, just for fun

• Haha

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
my father said " son , there are two sorts of people in this world , those that are woke and those that want to be woke"

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
talking with my son , a truck driver and has a partner who identifies as Indigenous
she's from NSW South Coast and has plenty of contact with her grandy parents and extended family

he normally doesn't have a woke bone in his body

and approaching Australia Day we had the conversation about the day and how to refer to them

and when I said black fellas / white fellas or Aboriginal if being more formal , he was no no no , has to be First Australians

my first reaction is don't be so woke , and seriously , you !!!
and then with time to think , he has to circulate in that community and has to respect the handle they choose

the over the top woke we all hate

a work morning tea , a handful of people are tasked with organising and the expected crowd , about 120
one guy comes in like a ballerina, shouting "its all got to be Halal , everything on the table has to be halal "
"I want this to be inclusive, they have to be eat anything on the table"

Woke might of started meaning people sensitive to the issues of marginalised people

but the contemporary version is people like that have hijacked it

dramatic , completely disingenuous, attention seekers

and IIRC he had some excuse for not organising any food , halal or otherwise

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Woke has some positive concepts attached to it that are needed but in some areas it just goes too far.
You could replace "woke" with environmentalists, animal rights activists, capitalists, women's right activists, religious groups, or pretty much any group of people seeking change or justice.
and sometimes what is "just too far" is middle ground in the future.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
animal rights activists

OK, you've probably got me on this one.

trophy hunters are scumbags. I'd would undoubtedly go at anyone or anything that attempted to hurt my little boy (my dog).

But veganism? that’s a bridge too far for me.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
the over the top woke we all hate

a work morning tea , a handful of people are tasked with organising and the expected crowd , about 120
one guy comes in like a ballerina, shouting "its all got to be Halal , everything on the table has to be halal "
"I want this to be inclusive, they have to be eat anything on the table"

Woke might of started meaning people sensitive to the issues of marginalised people

but the contemporary version is people like that have hijacked it

dramatic , completely disingenuous, attention seekers

and IIRC he had some excuse for not organising any food , halal or otherwise

The problem with a lot of this type of stuff, that often resorts to people hearing "they" want to cancel Christmas and what not, is that while someone might have good intentions "let them eat everything on the table", it deprives others.

I live in a country that's a good mix of Chinese, Malay and Indian cultures. They live their lives together quite peacefully and no one deprives others because of religion or culture.

At a banquet, or large food spread, there will be labels on all Halal food. Similar labels on all Vegetarian dishes. People eat what they want to eat without complaining that they are being marginalised because no one thought to order halal roast pork belly.

You travel through Malaysia, a very staunch Muslim country with muslim laws, during December and plastered everywhere in stores and malls is "Selamat Hari Natal", or Merry Christmas in Malay. They celebrate each others festivities and everyone is welcome to join in and celebrate.

So the next time you hear the "muslims" are trying to cancel Christmas or some other culture trying to cancel something else, there's a more likely chance that's it's actually some ignorant wannabe do gooder anglo saxon who is actually doing a lot more harm than good.

Reactions: 4 users