Woke politics discussion | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Woke politics discussion

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
If anyone dares bring this group politics thinking into the footy topics they are off PRE.

We know everyone working for the AFL exec is a corrupt cheating Richmond hating dumb *smile*.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
It would be true to type for Piers Morgan to bring in the most hysterical, over the top, emotional unbalanced with low debating skills LGBTIQetc "expert" he could find onto his show though.
Yep, and then others use it to further minimise and marginalise a movement that was borne out of the racist oppression of, and violence towards, blacks in America in the 60s and beyond.

Reactions: 1 user

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I was at a 50th birthday party 3 weeks ago. One mate is engaged and his misso is heavily pregnant (due next week). This mate is a partner at an accountancy firm, so he’s not short of a dollar and the discussion was about private schools they had been looking into. There were 5 of us there, but I wasn’t really part of the discussion. I was on the periphery listening in.

He’s not a believer and not a religious person in the slightest. But he said he would rather enrol his child in a religious school than a school that pushes the “woke gender identity agenda.” He added his kid can make their own judgement call about religion when he/she is ready (I wonder if he sees the irony that he doesn’t yet know the sex of the child?).

I’ll be honest with you… as someone who is of the view that religion is harmful for children, his comments floored me. But I chose to bite my tongue and stay out of the conversation.

I’m not a father, so deciding which school to enrol my kid is not a decision I will never need to make. So, let me ask others out there… is he right? Is the whole gender identity discussion in schools really that toxic? Or (as I suspect), its being exaggerated by conservatives?

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I was at a 50th birthday party 3 weeks ago. One mate is engaged and his misso is heavily pregnant (due next week). This mate is a partner at an accountancy firm, so he’s not short of a dollar and the discussion was about private schools they had been looking into. There were 5 of us there, but I wasn’t really part of the discussion. I was on the periphery listening in.

He’s not a believer and not a religious person in the slightest. But he said he would rather enrol his child in a religious school than a school that pushes the “woke gender identity agenda.” He added his kid can make their own judgement call about religion when he/she is ready (I wonder if he sees the irony that he doesn’t yet know the sex of the child?).

I’ll be honest with you… as someone who is of the view that religion is harmful for children, his comments floored me. But I chose to bite my tongue and stay out of the conversation.

I’m not a father, so deciding which school to enrol my kid is not a decision I will never need to make. So, let me ask others out there… is he right? Is the whole gender identity discussion in schools really that toxic? Or (as I suspect), its being exaggerated by conservatives?

Exaggerated by conservatives.

My daughter is a teacher, barely mentions anything about this, lots of other things to deal with.

DS

Reactions: 2 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Whilst most are generally of a conservative nature, not all private schools have an issue with the gender identity issue Ian.
In fact some are embracing gender & cultural diversity as a point of difference, despite the religious framework of the school.
The school my son went to for example was considerably more progressive than conservative.
They encouraged children to be proud of who they were, rather than try to conform to traditional thinking. Some would even say it's gone too far the other way.
That said the school's philosophy had a big influence on our decision to send our son there.

From our limited schooling experience in both public & private sectors, there are good public schools & good private schools, just as their are bad public & private schools.
Those who wish to pigeon hole & tar both sectors with the same brush do a disservice to both schooling processes. Frustratingly this happens a lot.

Each parent just needs to do the research as to what schooling environment is best for their child & what they can afford.

From my POV, choosing a Private School for our son had far less to do with religion (we are not religious at all) than it did the facilities, support networks & opportunities the school provided to get the best out of our son's education.
Having seen both sides of the coin, unfortunately the public school system is not at the level it was when we were growing up as Governments have stripped finances from the public system over decades. Believe me when I say I'm a supporter of state schooling but in many cases the support systems are not there in the public sector now.

Ultimately though there's no guarantees about any school environment.
Probably 80% of it comes down to parenting & what sort of child you have.
Schools can only influence so much.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
The kids at my school are making us more aware of gender identity, not the other way around.

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
The kids at my school are making us more aware of gender identity, not the other way around.
That just feeds into all of the above.

If there is an agenda in schools, then it will filter through the students and back to home. If there isn't, then the kids are probably getting a mind...ful from socials.

I say this as a parent who had a child that announced they were identifying as non-binary, as a 13 year old.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne

I feel sorry for those kids.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
That just feeds into all of the above.

If there is an agenda in schools, then it will filter through the students and back to home. If there isn't, then the kids are probably getting a mind...ful from socials.

I say this as a parent who had a child that announced they were identifying as non-binary, as a 13 year old.
Not sure of your point?

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
Wokes out of the woodwork thick & fast thumbing down 1st Australian Armoured Regiment marching from Torrens Parade Ground to St Peters Cathedral with two Abrams Battle Tanks & a Padre yesterday. The poor old Padre he got a shellacking as well.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Were Brigadier Linda Reynolds (Retd) or Major General Kathryn Campbell (Retd) there?

1688973496440.png

• Love
  • Wow

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Wokes out of the woodwork thick & fast thumbing down 1st Australian Armoured Regiment marching from Torrens Parade Ground to St Peters Cathedral with two Abrams Battle Tanks & a Padre yesterday. The poor old Padre he got a shellacking as well.
Can someone translate this for me?

• Haha

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
The latest of today's Australian men. Army Captain Jesse Noble allowed to wear Womens Army uniform. Found out he is non-binary. In my day men were men,boys boys,girls girls & ladies ladies. These days you dont know who they are. Look at em on the football field these days with their flowing ladies mullets & nobs.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
The latest of today's Australian men. Army Captain Jesse Noble allowed to wear Womens Army uniform. Found out he is non-binary. In my day men were men,boys boys,girls girls & ladies ladies. These days you dont know who they are. Look at em on the football field these days with their flowing ladies mullets & nobs.
*smile* me dead

• Haha