Zak Jones | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Zak Jones

Giardiasis said:
What does one-paced mean?

I interpret not being 'one paced' as having the speed to break away from a contested situation by having a separation gear. It's not the same (in my mind) as being an outside burner.

To me, Conca and Flossy are both one paced, they get through contested situation with skill, strength and ball use. Ellis has a bit of speed if he has a run up, but he is not dynamic over the first 5 meters either. Cotchin was one paced this year, not so the rest of his career. Dusty is still explosive, but that partly because he is one of the hardest players in the AFL to tackle so it makes him look faster than he is.

On Jones, I don't see AFL level burning speed, but I’d defer to people who have seen him play live. If they believe he has sufficient toe I’d take that. I’d also be interested in his 20 meter time.

Col.W.Kurtz said:
I interpret not being 'one paced' as having the speed to break away from a contested situation by having a separation gear. It's not the same (in my mind) as being an outside burner.

To me, Conca and Flossy are both one paced, they get through contested situation with skill, strength and ball use. Ellis has a bit of speed if he has a run up, but he is not dynamic over the first 5 meters either. Cotchin was one paced this year, not so the rest of his career. Dusty is still explosive, but that partly because he is one of the hardest players in the AFL to tackle so it makes him look faster than he is.

On Jones, I don't see AFL level burning speed, but I’d defer to people who have seen him play live. If they believe he has sufficient toe I’d take that. I’d also be interested in his 20 meter time.

He was top 26% in the repeat sprints, but is slow out of the blocks over 5 metres, definitely an indication of being one paced.

Tony Braxton-Hicks said:
Would he be cut from he same cloth as Scott Selwood?

I don't think he's got as many midfield runs on the board as Scott, to me he's a natural defender who is dour but can run off his man and become a bit of a play maker. His finish to the TAC season saw him elevated to prime mover (something which he took to like a duck to water) but that doesn't necessarily make him a shoe-in for midfield duties. With his strong overhead marking and his outstanding tackling pressure, I think he'll make a name for himself in the role of rebounding back flanker in the Michael Hibberd mould.

bullus_hit said:
I don't think he's got as many midfield runs on the board as Scott, to me he's a natural defender who is dour but can run off his man and become a bit of a play maker. His finish to the TAC season saw him elevated to prime mover (something which he took to like a duck to water) but that doesn't necessarily make him a shoe-in for midfield duties. With his strong overhead marking and his outstanding tackling pressure, I think he'll make a name for himself in the role of rebounding back flanker in the Michael Hibberd mould.
I think you are underselling him by labelling him in the mould of Hibberd. He has a greater scope for improvement than just a rebounding half back flanker.

Smoking Aces said:
I think you are underselling him by labelling him in the mould of Hibberd. He has a greater scope for improvement than just a rebounding half back flanker.

Or it could be that you're underselling the role of a rebounding half back flank. I would say the same thing about Scharenberg but that doesn't mean I don't rate him, I just weigh up the skill-set and make a prediction as to where they would be best suited. Zak Jones is a lovely intercept mark, he has shown he can perform shut-down jobs, as well as peeling of his man. He can tackle and win a truckload of contested ball, and his long kicking game definitely suits the role of defender.

He could well become a midfielder but there's still some way to go, he doesn't possess a huge burst of speed as has been discussed, he probably lacks a bit of finesse in tight, he has had very limited exposure in the middle and he's yet to produce a 30 disposal match in his TAC career. All this could change of course, but he has the same midfield possibilities as Lennon, Bontempelli & some of the other more speculative selections.

bullus_hit said:
All this could change of course, but he has the same midfield possibilities as Lennon, Bontempelli & some of the other more speculative selections.

Yep one thing is for sure. History tells us no player's a bonafide guarantee to do anything.

He looks pretty good. I just feel that we need to focus on our pressing need of a smaller forward who can pinch hit in the middle rather than a backman who might do well in the middle. I'd really like to see us concentrate on an Acres or Lennon if we're not going to go a performed midfielder.

bullus_hit said:
He was top 26% in the repeat sprints, but is slow out of the blocks over 5 metres, definitely an indication of being one paced.

Leysy wouldnt hold much weight on how the 5m times translate to on-field pace. Its just too short to get an accurate guide, surely.

You miss the kick by even .2 of a second & your done. Longer distances, yes a different matter.

Anyway, good to see this kid being mentioned in the area's he should ILO. i.e. around our pick.

Been watching some tapes of late & wondering how this kid was never mentioned for our selection. Said as much a few days ago. Good to see him mentioned in dispatches with us of late.

Leysy Days said:
Leysy wouldnt hold much weight on how the 5m times translate to on-field pace. Its just too short to get an accurate guide, surely.

You miss the kick by even .2 of a second & your done. Longer distances, yes a different matter.

It's certainly something that can be improved, a good strength and conditioning regime can make all the difference. But if we're setting benchmarks on the pace front, then someone like Freeman stands a much better chance of becoming that explosive player that you may be alluding to.

think you're underrating freeman a bit

along with taylor and perhaps hartung, reckon he's the best fit for our midfield

we need line breakers

Leysy Days said:
No, massive pass on Freeman for Leysy Bully.

Freeman is certainly a risk, I wouldn't be game enough to select him either. He can run hot and cold too, something which rings alarm bells for an inside mid. But in saying that, his speed & endurance combination is as rare as hens teeth. If he can find his way to a solid club then Dangerfield could be the benchmark, Collingwood, Carlton or Geelong might be able to bring the best out in him, Brisbane or Melbourne would probably be a death sentence.

Ripplestick said:
Anyone have Zak's draft camp testing results? cheers.

He didn't do all of the tests

5mtr 1.19 39% 10mtr 1.89 45% 20mtr 3.13 38% Agility 8.64 46% Repeat Sprints 24.87 74% 3km 10:46 66%
He tested in the bottom 20% for the jumping tests.

Leysy Days said:
No, massive pass on Freeman for Leysy Bully.
And me too.

bullus_hit said:
Freeman is certainly a risk, I wouldn't be game enough to select him either. He can run hot and cold too, something which rings alarm bells for an inside mid. But in saying that, his speed & endurance combination is as rare as hens teeth. If he can find his way to a solid club then Dangerfield could be the benchmark, Collingwood, Carlton or Geelong might be able to bring the best out in him, Brisbane or Melbourne would probably be a death sentence.
Let Melbourne have him.

Harry said:
think you're underrating freeman a bit

along with taylor and perhaps hartung, reckon he's the best fit for our midfield

we need line breakers
Freeman can potentially be a perfect fit. But currently that's all it really is...potential. Though I'd be excited to see what Choco could do with him.

bullus_hit said:
Salem is a cut above those guys, Lennon is ok but don't expect 65metre hoofs on his non preferred and Jones is fairly reliant on his right boot which may catch him out to a degree.

Ta Bully. I think youve got to play moneyball in the first round and one-sidedness means you dont get a gig, unless your buddy franklin. Pass on ZJ at 12 for me. Equally happy with Salem or Lennon.