Zak Jones | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Zak Jones

I don't think we will go with Zak as he has only produced one season when they watch these guys over several to assess them. Salem or Lennon will be in the frame nothing surer.

GEDS1 said:
I don't think we will go with Zak as he has only produced one season when they watch these guys over several to assess them. Salem or Lennon will be in the frame nothing surer.

It's very likely neither will be available, and seems Zak may be our next choice.

Here's Kristian Pisano's write up on him, hope he doesn't mind me sharing, it's a good insight

ZAK JONES
Height: 183cm, Weight: 76kg, DOB: 15/3/1995
Recruited from: Dandenong Stingrays

His end to the season had me all-in and I think he convinced everyone that he’ll be a beast of an inside midfielder within no time just like his brother, Nathan.

He’s a high-character guy who has battled a case of not really being noticed having not managed to play a game for the Stingrays in 2012. He was stuck in the back-pocket for most of the season in which he did admirably, then won Vic Country’s MVP award in the National Championships and now he’s become a legitimate midfielder all through work rate, desire and the willingness to improve. It probably doesn’t hurt having a brother like Nathan Jones who probably knows the hardships of footy all too well.

Jones’ apprenticeship in the backline has probably done him the world of good as a footballer. He is intent on not letting his opponent get a kick and people says he’s one of the best at saying a few cheeky words out on the field. He is very manic and just throws himself at everything, much in the mould of Mitch Robinson and Steve Morris. It gets to borderline crazy levels, but it just shows how much he loves being out there and he’d do anything to win. I always have time for these guys.

Jones played much of the season off half-back for the Stingrays where he was very good and he played the same role in the Champs, winning himself the MVP for Vic Country averaging 17 disposals (8 contested) at 76% efficiency. Around mid-season he moved to the midfield where he reached over 20 disposals in five of his last eight games. Jones’ efficiency is absolutely outstanding considering the weight of his disposals that are contested. He won an elite amount of contested possessions yet he still operated at 72% disposal efficiency during the TAC Cup season. He showed it was no fluke in the Champs. He also averaged an elite six tackles per game. For me, Zak Jones’ preliminary final performance against the Calder Cannons was possibly my favourite game by any prospective draftee this season. Jones won 28 disposals (20 contested by my count, but could be slightly wrong) at 86% efficiency, with 10 tackles and 10 clearances. It was an epic performance, he was brilliant. I have no doubt if we saw this production for an entire season (Jones actually playing in the midfield) he’d be a top ten pick, or he would’ve at least been top ten in this one (I was very close).

Zak has a couple of things over his brother; I think he’s a better kick and he’s also a bit quicker. Zak isn’t quick by any means, but he does have a little burst and he loves to tuck the ball under the arm and have a dash. I think he really enjoys it when he gets a bit of space. Clubs only have one recorded beep test by Jones, and that was in the pre-season in which he ran a 13.3. He didn’t do the beep test at the Combine, but I’m guessing he would’ve improved that result considerably. He was top 26% in the repeat sprints and also top 34% in the 3km time trial.

Despite the high efficiency stats, most of Jones’ kicks are long. It’s the one issue I have when he’s out in space. It’s not ‘bombs away’ like Crouch, he’s calculated and is actually aiming at someone, but it’s just not always the right option. It has nothing to do with his kicking, and saying he has poor disposal is lazy, because when he lowers the eyes he will hit the target and his kicking style is good. He doesn’t have great penetration on his kicks and I think around 50m is his limit, but I’m not recruiting him to be the next Ben Graham.

Inside the contest Jones is brilliant to watch. He won’t quit until he has the ball. You’ll often think the umpire is about to call for the ball at a stoppage and suddenly Jones has scrapped his way out of there and the play has suddenly opened up. The scary thing is, he is still a bit slight, but I think he’ll end up in the same build as Nathan, and he’s also got a couple of centimetres on him already.

I must admit, I’m taking Jones here on the back of some games at the back-end of the year where he showed that he could be a very good midfielder in the AFL. It was only some, that’s the problem, and it was through no fault of his own. I’m backing my gut on this one though, and that’s what this is all about. Zak Jones will be a very, very good footballer and I am supremely confident of that.

It's fair to say he would want to be a better kick than his bro who is a supreme butcher. Still think he is a reach and if Lennon was available we would be taking him not Zak.

On Emma Q's Q&A with Boyd, Billings and Aish question was asked of Billings who was the best player you played on during TAC cup and Carnival and Billings said Wines last year and this year Zak Jones !

GEDS1 said:
On Emma Q's Q&A with Boyd, Billings and Aish question was asked of Billings who was the best player you played on during TAC cup and Carnival and Billings said Wines last year and this year Zak Jones !

Yes I read that and it sparked my interest.

Aish is soft as butter so it makes sense that he hates competitive beasts.

Having Jones mentioned in the same breath as Wines though is a great think for Jones

No idea whether Zak would be a reach at pick 12 level, but his big bro Nathan is one of my favourite opp players who should have been captaining the Dees when Needles took over.
Nathan's not the sweetest or prettiest player by any stretch of the imagination but for me he stood tall every time all those around him were crumbling. Just constantly put the hand up, barged in n fought every inch of the games, no matter how crap his team mates were going or how quickly they surrendered.
If young Zak plays with a bit more skill n half his brothers on field integrity some club will get a pretty decent player.

TigerMasochist said:
No idea whether Zak would be a reach at pick 12 level, but his big bro Nathan is one of my favourite opp players who should have been captaining the Dees when Needles took over.
Nathan's not the sweetest or prettiest player by any stretch of the imagination but for me he stood tall every time all those around him were crumbling. Just constantly put the hand up, barged in n fought every inch of the games, no matter how crap his team mates were going or how quickly they surrendered.
If young Zak plays with a bit more skill n half his brothers on field integrity some club will get a pretty decent player.

Totally agree on Nathan Jones - often wonder how he would be viewed if he had been drafted by Collingwood, Hawthorn or Geelong say.

This Is Anfield said:
Totally agree on Nathan Jones - often wonder how he would be viewed if he had been drafted by Collingwood, Hawthorn or Geelong say.

His a battler in a very ordinary team
Silivia was the one to get from the dees. Spud but very good footballer

zippadeee said:
His a battler in a very ordinary team
Silivia was the one to get from the dees. Spud but very good footballer

Think he's a bit better than a battler myself - Jones gives 100% all the time, Sylvia when he feels like it.
I know which one I'd rather have at my club.

This Is Anfield said:
Think he's a bit better than a battler myself - Jones gives 100% all the time, Sylvia when he feels like it.

Rupert beatheas

GEDS1 said:

No doubt ZJ's stocks are rising late. He reads like nick vlastuin version 2.0! Encouraging that he plays big in big games in the champs. Thats a measure I rate highly. with only 2 more sleeps, I still hope we take Lennon/Salem/Acres if they are there, but if we take ZJ, I'll be jumping out of my skin to see a maniac in a tiger jumper just the same.

tigergollywog said:
No doubt ZJ's stocks are rising late. He reads like nick vlastuin version 2.0! Encouraging that he plays big in big games in the champs. Thats a measure I rate highly. with only 2 more sleeps, I still hope we take Lennon/Salem/Acres if they are there, but if we take ZJ, I'll be jumping out of my skin to see a maniac in a tiger jumper just the same.

Apparently his another Mitch Robinson

This Is Anfield said:
- Jones gives 100% all the time, Sylvia when he feels like it.
Not a hard choice. A bald, brawling battle truck or a plastic nissan sylvia.
Rabble of a club over the last few years but Jones was one of very few that constantly put the hand up n just kept giving, no matter what the circumstance. Got a lot of respect for any one who's as honest as he's been.

if young zak has nathans attitude i would take him i in aheart beat nathan jones has a heart of a lion

This Is Anfield said:

For once I'm with zips, I actually don't think he would be regarded as well if he'd gone to a better club. His disposal is not great. OTOH maybe he would have received better development. His commitment and desire can't be questioned though.

Uneducated opinion based purely on the highlight videos - just don't see it with Z Jones. Don't like that kicking action at all. Anyway, FJ has the runs on the board.

Got a feeling Salem ( melb or pies) and Lennon (pies wce) will both be gone by our pick and this we will end up with jones. I hope I'm wrong as I think we really need one of the above two more for our nedds