Zak Jones | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Zak Jones

IanG said:
For once I'm with zips, I actually don't think he would be regarded as well if he'd gone to a better club. His disposal is not great. OTOH maybe he would have received better development. His commitment and desire can't be questioned though.

Agree, battler of the highest order, would be 6th or 7th best mid at any other club - but that's what you get playing for the worst midfield in two decades. It reminds me of Richmond in the early nineties when guys like Chris Bond & Andrew McKellar were our 'star' performers.

bullus_hit said:
Agree, battler of the highest order, would be 6th or 7th best mid at any other club - but that's what you get playing for the worst midfield in two decades. It reminds me of Richmond in the early nineties when guys like Chris Bond & Andrew McKellar were our 'star' performers.

I think you mean Allan? And no, he was no "star".

FWIW Jack Billings said Jones was the best player he played against all year. Last year he said it was Wines.

bullus_hit said:
Yep, Allan McKellar, a dour trier but nothing more. Very similar to Jones.
Must just be me, but I'd rate a Nathan Jones as similar to a Daniel Jackson. Would never confuse them with an elite player, nor would I rank or deride them with the trier tag. Put either of them in a halfway decent team n they're core fabric players. Nothing wrong with their onfield integrity whatsoever.

TigerMasochist said:
Must just be me, but I'd rate a Nathan Jones as similar to a Daniel Jackson. Would never confuse them with an elite player, nor would I rank or deride them with the trier tag. Put either of them in a halfway decent team n they're core fabric players. Nothing wrong with their onfield integrity whatsoever.

Just not a fan of his kicking TM, at times it seems like he's booting a bag of wheat down a paddock. Brave, no question, but definitely shades of yester year when we had a bunch of battlers slogging it out.

Good to see Zak picked up by the Swans. Fits their recruiting pattern. IMO he'll be top 10 from this draft, no sweat

bullus_hit said:
Just not a fan of his kicking TM, at times it seems like he's booting a bag of wheat down a paddock. Brave, no question, but definitely shades of yester year when we had a bunch of battlers slogging it out.

Sometimes Bullus I think players in struggling teams look up after busting a gut & see no movement.
How often were Tigers derided for poor disposal when there were just no options, no runners going past just opposition players massing for the turnover, so they tried for the miracle kick or bombed it.

Not saying Jones is elite but i think he's a bit better than a battler. That's my take for what it's worth.

And Zak should do well at the Swans.

bullus_hit said:
Fair enough Bully, pretty sure not many around have been big fans of Jacko's foot skills either. For me it's all about where a player fits into a team n how well he fills the role his ability dictates he should be providing. Players like Jacko n Jones will always struggle if required to be their teams front line quality,they simply don't have the pure talent, but throw them into the second line as support for the elite and they can develop into formidable weapons.

This Is Anfield said:
And Zak should do well at the Swans.

Perfect club to go to, lucky boy is Zac, I think he'll relish Sydney's style, should do very well indeed.

Swans have done very well here. Stumped Geelong a little with there next pick.

Will be an excellent pickup.

Leysy Days said:

He'll love the SCG, tailored made for his bash and crash style, and to have the masters of assault & battery surrounding him, couldn't ask for more.

The issue for kids up there is Sydney arent big on playing them, but he's got the wherewithal to bang the door down. Bargain for them.

bullus_hit said:
He'll love the SCG, tailored made for his bash and crash style, and to have the masters of assault & battery surrounding him, couldn't ask for more.

He could be another Paul Kelly. Spewing we don't pick him. Would've been nice to see a player in yellow & black sheppard for once

Leysy Days said:
The issue for kids up there is Sydney arent big on playing them, but he's got the wherewithal to bang the door down. Bargain for them.

There's a spot in the backline Leysy, Rampe is decent but certainly upgradable. He's a backman first and foremost, and a damn good one at that.

Leysy Days said:

Yeah Geelong had to go back to the table to discuss. It was the first break in quick picks.

Not sure Sydney is the best spot for him. Will take time and do a reasonable apprenticship.

Jed Lamb walked away this year due too limited opportunity.