2022 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2022 Draft Thread

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Wells took over recruiting in 1994 as far as i can tell, so 4 premiership in 29years. Jackson took over in 2006, so so far has 3 premierships in 17 years. both great records.

quick count to me suggests Wells had 8 top 10 picks (including Clarke) in those 28 years, while Jackson has had 6 (including Gibcus), Wells also had Scarlett, Hawkins and Ablett who i think probably would have all gone top 10, and in Hawkins case pick 1 or 2.

Geesook lost one they should have won when a 100kg Stewy Dew rang rings around them in the last Qtr...................hahahah

Reactions: 1 user

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Forget Wells.

A good debate would be Jackson vs Clarke.
2016 was a brilliant draft, the Balta draft one can short of a six pack and the last couple a bit early to say. I reckon Clarke has had a pretty good hand, 5 picks in the top 30 happens once in a blue moon, I still contend it was too flanker heavy & that may still come back to bite. Next year there's only a second rounder to play with unless we buy in, not sure we have too much trading capital so it will be interesting.

Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
The only injustice in all this is we didn't win 4 cups, our best H&A year was the year we dropped the bundle against Collingwood, but that aside the years 2017-2020 were possibly the most dominant in Richmond's history, Hartley did his bit but none of those cups would have materialised without Jackson at the helm. Hyperbole won't do it, show me the numbers & I'll play ball but the Wells mythology needs to be exposed. Great list manager but only average when it comes to drafting youngsters, much like Greg Miller, his best days are behind him.

Even if you were wrong, youde be right.

Who *smile* cares about some geelong *smile*?

Reactions: 2 users

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Even if you were wrong, youde be right.

Who *smile* cares about some geelong *smile*?
I guess if you want a good retirement village with bovine facilities then Geelong is the place to be.

• Haha

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Oleg is still kicking too, that's been an ok pick, still an outside chance to hit triple figures.

As far as the rookie draft is concerned, no club has ever had 4 centurions in one draft, Soldo hitting triple figures would make this a record.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Oleg is still kicking too, that's been an ok pick, still an outside chance to hit triple figures.

As far as the rookie draft is concerned, no club has ever had 4 centurions in one draft, Soldo hitting triple figures would make this a record.
No doubt we are the kings of the rookie draft.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
It's all a bit blurred as well and comparing them is not as easy as what Bullus has tried to make it i.e. Until very recently Wells was List Mgr as well as recruiting so was in charge of trades and overall list management (Essentially Hartleys and Clarke's role combined) for many of those years.

Frank has only ever had recruiting as his portfolio.

Bully also stopped at 2016 but Wells has added Kelly (who he turned into what 3 x 1st round picks), Atkins, Holmes, De Koning, Clark (got pick 22), Close plus a heap of other untried kids (mainly 21' crop) since that time. Plus trading for Cameron, Touhy, Stanley, Smith, Stengle and others.

Because of the greater reach of his position and that he's been so bloody good at it, he's had the major say in building a list that has seen them keep contending every year for 2 decades.

And Frank was an outstanding (but purely recruiting) stalwart for our club.

Apples and oranges to an extent.

Great trading to get 3 decent picks for Kelly. That advantage was spent on Cameron, which gave them the 2022 premiership. Kelly out, Cameron in = flag. Nice

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Have read Conca instead of Heppell in here a few times now. Forget the Dyson, Prestia or Lynch were still available!

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
Great trading to get 3 decent picks for Kelly. That advantage was spent on Cameron, which gave them the 2022 premiership. Kelly out, Cameron in = flag. Nice
Only because we tripped ourselves up.
Another PF loss for the cats otherwise.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Can Hayley Reid just nominate for the rookie draft?
That's a brilliant plan, no one would have any clue why Harley didn't nominate, she could then make an entrance at the Brownlow wearing a stunning tutu with some yellow and black chiffon bows shaped like a lucky seven.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Great point, I should've added that. It's an all time piece of business. Man's a genius.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Great point, I should've added that. It's an all time piece of business. Man's a genius.
He's a great list manager, this is great trading, but comparable to the Deledio trade, the Tambling trade, the Vickery trade................I'm very content with Hartley in this role, he extracts maximum value 90% of the time.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
He's a great list manager, this is great trading, but comparable to the Deledio trade, the Tambling trade, the Vickery trade................I'm very content with Hartley in this role, he extracts maximum value 90% of the time.
Vickery wasn't traded, they didn't re-sign him. You can paint it how you want but it wasn't a trade.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Vickery wasn't traded, they didn't re-sign him. You can paint it how you want but it wasn't a trade.
It was excellent business, buffering his Hawks contract so we were able to stitch up higher compo, most on here raised an eyebrow when a second rounder was delivered, thank Hartley.

Reactions: 1 user