2022 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2022 Draft Thread

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Broad was a 2015 draftee, I think Clarke has done well with Baker, that pick had a lot of new age bling, we need more of those gems coming through. Cumberland another good pick, totally different style to Jackson, particularly in the rookie draft. We used to milk the state leagues more, I wonder if it's more to do with the mid season draft scooping up all the main talent, that makes a fair bit of sense. The problem Clarke now faces is he's effectively the last line of defence for sourcing a key forward, I would hope he's got someone up the sleeve this year, need to get this show rolling immediately.
I am sure there is a plan there for a key forward. Our list management strategy has never only been for the now.

Reactions: 2 users

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
I just feel that the draft capital is better on selecting a player that suits our style of play. The more damaging disposal, more kicking rather than sideways handballing, and therefore more territory taken will suit our game style a lot more than Mitchell, and you are paying for that and as Smoking says the ability to play Martin and Bolton in that mid forward role. Having these 2 rolling through the midfield could mean that both Bolton and Martin could kick 40 goals each next year if they stay fit. Add that to goals from Lynch, Jack and Cumbo and our forward line looks so potent. I also think having players that play similar styles to Cotch and Prestia means we can rotate those inside mids in a better way than we managed this year (through games as much as between games) and get the most out of them.

The trade capital may look high on an individual player basis but I think the overall benefit we will get across the team will more than outweigh that.

The risks and issues with the lack of quality young talls is absolutely an issue but it may be difficult to address both requirements and IMO the midfield quality is the most important area to address to keep us in the Premiership window whilst we have the quality that we do in our lineup.

Quoted for truth.

Like we've said many times, no idea why Mitchell and the Crouch Potato keep getting brought up as viable options.

They simply don't play our style of football. And we nearly always take players whether draft or trade that will suit that.

Can pretty much guarantee Blair would have had a line through them for years.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Quoted for truth.

Like we've said many times, no idea why Mitchell and the Crouch Potato keep getting brought up as viable options.

They simply don't play our style of football. And we nearly always take players whether draft or trade that will suit that.

Can pretty much guarantee Blair would have had a line through them for years.
Taranto will probably give you a similar return if set in the midfield, I don't see any standout features that makes him better than Mitchell.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Taranto will probably give you a similar return if set in the midfield, I don't see any standout features that makes him better than Mitchell.

They might give a similar return on a stat sheet.

Be will be miles apart on where at actually counts - making the team better on the field.

Ask yourself why Mitchell is being shopped on the cheap but no one is interested.

Reactions: 5 users

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
They might give a similar return on a stat sheet.

Be will be miles apart on where at actually counts - making the team better on the field.

Ask yourself why Mitchell is being shopped on the cheap but no one is interested.
Collingwood interested.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
How u feel about our off season thus far if we keep 30? is the draft plan then to go tall at 30 & rookie a back up ruck or DFA if any are worth looking at?
I think Lemmey is a good player to get, not sure he lasts with a mid forties pick, I think there's a better chance for Knobel in that range.

Reactions: 1 user

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
That may be an area in which Taranto is superior but is it worth the extra draft capital? I'm not so sure, I sure feel uneasy about losing 12, 19, 31 & a future first. If we happen to have a rotten run next year the pain will be immense, it simply has to be finals next year, failure to do so will sting & it will be hard to justify these outlays. But on the bright side, if we finish top 4 then the cost won't be extravagant, so much hinging on our 2023 season, the stakes couldn't be higher.
I'd add that if we manage to get a decent KPF in the next yr or 2 via FA then these moves are genius. a flag in that time no1 will be talking about the outlay, as per J.Cameron now. Getting Lynch was a multi yr project so we'd have to have someone we are working towards getting now i'd imagine.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Bully of course missing the finals would be a disaster. It would be a disaster even without getting these two players.

But you have to admit the inclusion of Taranto and Hopper makes us look ten fold more even and dangerous. A glaring weakness is solved, plus it allows our two biggest weapons in Martin and Bolton to play at that mid/forward role where they are most damaging.
ditto short & baker being able to play their preferred roles

Reactions: 1 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Broad was a 2015 draftee, I think Clarke has done well with Baker, that pick had a lot of new age bling, we need more of those gems coming through. Cumberland another good pick, totally different style to Jackson, particularly in the rookie draft. We used to milk the state leagues more, I wonder if it's more to do with the mid season draft scooping up all the main talent, that makes a fair bit of sense. The problem Clarke now faces is he's effectively the last line of defence for sourcing a key forward, I would hope he's got someone up the sleeve this year, need to get this show rolling immediately.
I may have posted this previously but when talkng on 360 about his extension Jack mentioned we'll be looking to draft a key fwd.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
This thread is going to be boring this year. Blair has just traded us out of this draft. First pick in the 80s

We‘ve paid Marty Clarke and his team good dollars to watch players the other teams are getting this year

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
The problem is the fact we need a couple of young forwards, that issue needs to be addressed & I fail to see how we can draft one next year with our current hand.
Gunna guesstimate the obvious and you're meaning key forwards Bully, as we're well set up for small to mediums, Dusty, Shai, Moju, Cummerbund, Georgie n Clarko

Lynchman's still gunna be the number one key forward for a few years n Jaaack'll most likely be cooked by the end of next year. Streamed a few VFL games this year n while there's always a large step up to seniors, Delilah looked very competent at full forward when he wasn't rucking. Bauer bird played some decent forward footy for a mid season draftee n theoretically should have more to give off a full pre season. Both Funky n Biggie have been used forward at times during this season, probably more in a suck it n see role than anything. Next year n possibly a few more they are still going to be learning behind Lynchman n Jaaack so perhaps the key forward positions might not be quite as dire as you are thinking. Balta n Gibber are another couple of talls who've been fudged around the forward mix with some moments of impact.

Reactions: 1 user

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Collingwood interested.

Are they? Nothing has come from the Pies. Only media.

If your open to listening, Leysy will explain why your theory on targetting Mitchell and Crouch Potato is not aligned (or up with) those currently employed at our club (and nearly, if not all, clubs in the country).

You say Mitchell can deliver what Taranto can next year and keep pumping out stats and such. On just stats he might, but that is only one part of the game. The other is true impact on the scoreboard. Then the other is when your side doesn't have the ball, which you need to watch football to understand.

Transition two-way running is everything now. Richmond, Geelong now, Collingwood, Sydney etc - You can't have purely stoppage to stoppage midfielders in your system. They need to get back and help, then sprint forward and do the same. Hence the Potato and Mitchell are on the outer at their clubs. Conversely Meatball is world class at that balance.

Taranto (and full disclosure would have preferred Dunkley), is an endurance beast. For a big guy he keeps running. Full running numbers are hard to get but in 2021 he averaged 14.36km a game. All our elite runners Graham (14.06) Broad (13.86) Lablett (13.63) Short (13.61) were behind him. Think about that - Leysy has no doubt that was near the number 1 thing that sold Blair and Co's to him.

He's a modern footballer who also has the other massive advantage over Mitchell - size/strength at a stoppage. His physical qualities to block opposition walking out from any type of stoppage is far above Mitchell's.

If the game was played on Footywire Leysy would agree with you BH. But guess what, it ain't.

Leysy's not holding his breathe, but maybe some of that resonates why you're thinking isn't aligned with our (and most) clubs on slow inside mids and is either blinkered, out of date, or both.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users