2023 Women's World Cup | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2023 Women's World Cup

Maybe they will have to risk Sam Kerr against Canada. Always figured Nigeria would be tough, they are soccer mad and have a huge population, should be better in the men's too but too often fall short.
Ranked 40th compared to us at 10th. Terrible performance and too slow.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Have to beat Canada at AAMI next Monday night. Get the Tiger Army there for pumping up the team.....

Reactions: 1 users
We've hit the knockout stage a little early. Will need to win against Canada.

• Sad
Matilda’s had all the right stats but no goals to show for it. Nigeria are drilled well, saw them against Canada, they flooded the defence and then slung an attack to steel a few goals. Matilda’s will find Canada hard if they don’t get forwards back into the lineup.

Kennedy's goal could be critical as a draw v Canada will be enough to qualify on goals scored. That said, Canada were well worth their win v Ireland. Very slim margin for error now, especially in light of this performance.

• Sad
Disappointing performance by the Matildas; embarrassing really. The attack lacked flair; apart from the quality first goal it was very stodgy; and the defence was an absolute shemozzle. Our goalie sucked and Nigeria’s was great.

Think this team is overrated and relies too much on Sam Kerr. Were lucky to hold on against Ireland and beaten comfortably by Nigeria. Will be tough to get out of the group from here.

Last edited:
Kennedy's goal could be critical as a draw v Canada will be enough to qualify on goals scored. That said, Canada were well worth their win v Ireland. Very slim margin for error now, especially in light of this performance.
Wouldn't we need Nigeria to lose to Ireland if we draw with Canada? If we end up with the same points as Nigeria, what is the countback system?

Wouldn't we need Nigeria to lose to Ireland if we draw with Canada? If we end up with the same points as Nigeria, what is the countback system?
Yes, I'm mistaken in thinking Canada lost v Nigeria when they drew. Only a win will see Australia progress. Very tough.

Last edited:
Goals difference. If same for both nations then goals scored, currently Australia 3 Canada 2.

Rankings haven't meant much in this World Cup but Canada got better the longer the game went on v Ireland & deserve to be favourites v Australia. The girls will need to play 'above themselves' to qualify for the next stage.

Australia can't finish level on points with Canada, only ahead or behind. They can only finish on the same points as Nigeria, if Aussies draw and Nigeria lose to Haiti.

Disappointing performance by the Matildas; embarrassing really. The attack lacked flair; apart from the quality first goal it was very stodgy; and the defence was an absolute shemozzle. Our goalie sucked and Nigeria’s was great.

Think this team is overrated and relies too much on Sam Kerr. Were lucky to hold on against Ireland and beaten comfortably by Nigeria. Will be tough to get out of the group from here.
Agree. Beneath all the hype and promotion, just don't think they are that good. Especially without Kerr and Mary Fowler, stock/standard team. A lot of players with average skills and poor passing which causes a heap of turnovers and a lot of missed passes, missed attacking opportunities.

We were so slow - the number of times a Nigerian players flew past us in a couple of steps - they played the perfect game tactically - sat back in defence and got us on the rebound with pace.

I think our coach was as slow as the players - 2 goals down and will no subs or changes happening - I think they were expecting Kerr to just step up like she always does, but they forgot she wasn’t playing.

Agree. Beneath all the hype and promotion, just don't think they are that good. Especially without Kerr and Mary Fowler, stock/standard team. A lot of players with average skills and poor passing which causes a heap of turnovers and a lot of missed passes, missed attacking opportunities.
Yep I think there is quite a bit of hubris surrounding this team; from the media, the public and even the team itself. The fact is that overall we played poorly and got the result they deserved. All Nigerian goals were the result of terrible defending and/or goal keeping. We created chances but actually had very few shots that were on target and when they were the Nigerian goal keeper handled them with ease; she was panels above our goalie. We had 15 corners but outside the last one which was too little too late they amounted to nothing.

Gonna have to pull a very big rabbit out of the hat to beat Canada and move out of the Group stage. Hopefully they can do it as it'll be a real shame to get knocked out so early in an historic home World Cup.

Yep I think there is quite a bit of hubris surrounding this team; from the media, the public and even the team itself. The fact is that overall we played poorly and got the result they deserved. All Nigerian goals were the result of terrible defending and/or goal keeping. We created chances but actually had very few shots that were on target and when they were the Nigerian goal keeper handled them with ease; she was panels above our goalie. We had 15 corners but outside the last one which was too little too late they amounted to nothing.

Gonna have to pull a very big rabbit out of the hat to beat Canada and move out of the Group stage. Hopefully they can do it as it'll be a real shame to get knocked out so early in an historic home World Cup.
Yep I'm no soccer expert but our defending looked shambolic and just simple skill errors. Our goalie has no presence.

With that said we smashed Nigeria in general play but couldn't put it on the scoreboard and then got killed on turnover.

Giving up a goal after time has expired in the first half (so essentially the last play) is never good.

Our girls can play. They are in the FIFA Top 10 ranking for a reason. Last night it looked like nerves to me. Mentally not prepared for the game. Or it was the cringe worthy Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi performed during the Welcome to Country which rattled the team. It rattled me.