2024 Richmond Coach | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Richmond Coach

Hinkley is an interesting one. Is actually a great communicator and players generally love playing for him. Just not sure he has the mental strength to take it to the next level and win a premiership. His teams usually play some exciting footy. He has had to contend with Kochie for his whole tenure and never seemed to get the complete backing from the board. Perhaps with the whole club behind him he may take that next step.
I like Hinkley. His best may be behind him, maybe not. I think his failure to take Port to the ultimate prize is a simple matter of quality of players he's had. Dixon ain't Jack/ Lynch, Wines and Boak ain't Dusty and Cotch, Jonas ain't Rance, etc etc. Good even spread of players but without those gamebreakers you need to win flags.

Reactions: 1 users
It starts with a vision, and Benny Gale is still in charge.

I'll back anyone the club endorses following a thorough selection process.

Reactions: 7 users
I like Hinkley. His best may be behind him, maybe not. I think his failure to take Port to the ultimate prize is a simple matter of quality of players he's had. Dixon ain't Jack/ Lynch, Wines and Boak ain't Dusty and Cotch, Jonas ain't Rance, etc etc. Good even spread of players but without those gamebreakers you need to win flags.
That would be my only concern with Hinkley. Not sure he could be a dynasty coach. Looks emotionally tired and i think if he were to win a premiership not sure he would have the fight and energy to keep backing it up

Reactions: 1 user
Surely MacQualter is on trial. Guess it is up to him to plan for the future and be interesting to see what he plans with JR8 Cotch even Nank and Grimes. Suspect he will have to try and whole pile of new plans as the old is not working, Interesting heard he was on the Carlton short list before they went for Voss
Best to go with a coach the current players already know. If McQualter has credits, let's see them.

Stewart Dew? Might enjoy being back in Melbourne.
Actually think he's a pretty good coach despite the Sun$ lack of success.
Be an incredibly tough gig as proven by how many coaches they’ve gone through.

If I was having a latte with Jono I’d be saying Jono , let’s jump in the Jeep , grab Neil and go visit Fly . Seriously I’d be asking the question again and again . Now fly is way to good of a human being to break a contract , however I’d be making him the priority.

As way out as it sounds , wouldn’t be shocked if Hinkley and Dimma end up swapping jobs in 2024

Just on Simpson, could there be a more non Richmond person , classic eagle arrogance

Reactions: 2 users
Wouldn't even waste time. Id be on the plane to SA and interviewing Carr. No coincidence he was at Port when they were flying. Left and went to Freo and they improved greatly and Port stumbled. Came back to Port and they are again contending while Freo have fallen away.
Just get it done Tiges

The thing Benny said was they are looking for a coach for the next 10 years. Andy Collins is 58. It would be a Chris Fagan style of appointment. I can't see it fitting our brief.

My assessment of potential targets:

- Leppa: failed at Brisbane in a tough environment. But showed little in the main seat. Think he's a line coach
- Rutten and Teague - see Leppa
- Giansiracusa - seems a strategy guy, doesn't exude passion
- Yze - see Gia
- Caracella - I like him but have concerns about all the jobs he's been overlooked for. There must be a key deficiency somewhere
- Cameron - looked like a deer in headlights
- Hansen - worth a look
- Carr - worth a look
- Buckley - interesting watch. Part of me says, no way, part of me says worth a look
- McQualter - how many caretaker coaches have gone on to stick around, let alone winning premierships? Think he's up against it
- Burns - hasn't been around successful clubs as a coach
- Schofield - massive WAFL record and has been at a relatively successful Port over the past few years. Definitely worth a look.

Reactions: 5 users
Fair few AFL assistants with Tiger connections - Chris Newman, Matthew Knights, Shaun Grigg, Axel Foley, Troy Chaplin, Greg Stafford, Brad Miller, Andy Collins, Justin Leppitsch, Mark Williams, Rob Wiley (VFL), to add to Kane Lambert, Mini McQualter, Truck Rutten, David Teague.

Be an incredibly tough gig as proven by how many coaches they’ve gone through.

If I was having a latte with Jono I’d be saying Jono , let’s jump in the Jeep , grab Neil and go visit Fly . Seriously I’d be asking the question again and again . Now fly is way to good of a human being to break a contract , however I’d be making him the priority.

He's under contract and he's building something impressive at Collingwood. He won't come and nor should he.

Reactions: 4 users
- Caracella - I like him but have concerns about all the jobs he's been overlooked for. There must be a key deficiency somewhere
Have a previous work colleague who knew the family.
Moved to Essendon for shorter commute I believe. Did not want at all the work/life balance of the top gig.
So the deficiency is the desire to do it - and you can't overcome that. Doubt he would apply.

Wouldn't even waste time. Id be on the plane to SA and interviewing Carr. No coincidence he was at Port when they were flying. Left and went to Freo and they improved greatly and Port stumbled. Came back to Port and they are again contending while Freo have fallen away.
Just get it done Tiges
Yep the Josh Carr call is a very good one.

No to Hinkley. He's the opposite to Bart Hardwick in terms of spring prep. Breaks his two- and three-year-olds trying to win the Memsie.

And he's nearly as old as Reds.

Reactions: 1 users
Will the new coach get the leniency that Damien did….
the culture isn’t just one person, it’s the whole being throughout the club so this person will need to embrace and improve on it.
i think the club is shocked that Damien brought it forward, he himself said this probably would be his last year.
he would’ve confessed this the Benny.
so the search starts…thank god we aren’t in the situations that Carlton and Essendon most recently found themselves in with angst in the background….
we have time for a thorough review of the off field and ramifications there and also a thorough search for a better version of McCrae as he’s out there…

He's under contract and he's building something impressive at Collingwood. He won't come and nor should he.
I’m sure he won’t , however our football club has every right to ask the question and I’m sure they will , they wouldn’t be doing their due diligence if they didn’t . We have been raided both on and off field during our dynasty, not one of our pillars Dimma , Balmey included haven’t not been tried to be poached by another club

Surely MacQualter is on trial. Guess it is up to him to plan for the future and be interesting to see what he plans with JR8 Cotch even Nank and Grimes. Suspect he will have to try and whole pile of new plans as the old is not working, Interesting heard he was on the Carlton short list before they went for Voss
Imagine if he does a Paul Roos?