Alex Rance | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Alex Rance

Don’t Argue

Tiger Superstar
Jun 22, 2019
If Tross gets his knee right I'm happy for him to chase a finals berth.
He could pop it again first game back same as any player might during a game.
He could play through and have a strong influence on our finals campaign, perhaps helping score our second flag in three years.
He could just as easily pop his knee again during pre season training or in the first few rounds next year if he waits and delays his comeback. Could miss out on a flag this year n then have to decide whether to start all over again with no guarantee of another finals or flag chance in 2020 or 2021 while he rehabs all over again. When he'll be even older n closer to retirement.

What’s a party without champagne?
What’s a BBQ without the sausages?
What’s a Premiership without Rancey.
If he’s cleared medically, he plays. No ifs, no buts nor blaming him if results don’t go our way. He is part of the team fabric and deserves his place if he’s 70% right to go.
I'll reiterate, I'm against it. I reckon we can win it without him, but if we don't, my god he will be required for next years last chance.

I’m thinking about what Rancey might want.
A legend of the RFC comes before my personal opinion
Totally agree.
He was fully fit last year when he was destroyed by Degoey in last years preliminary.

It was a stupid comment the first time you said it

Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
No not true. The biological process for grafting takes in excess of 12 months so Rance would be at greater risk of re-injuring playing this year than waiting until next year.
Johnson, Menzel, Scharenberg, Wren, Schwartz, Patton, NicNat, Lever, a couple of Liberatore's n a heap of other multiple knee jobs say Hi.

You can do a knee n never do another, you can do repeat knees even after having more than the recommended time off. If Tross can tick the medico boxes n be fit before the finals he might as well have a crack. Could easily spend the rest of his life wondering " what if " otherwise.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Johnson, Menzel, Scharenberg, Wren, Schwartz, Patton, NicNat, Lever, a couple of Liberatore's n a heap of other multiple knee jobs say Hi.

You can do a knee n never do another, you can do repeat knees even after having more than the recommended time off. If Tross can tick the medico boxes n be fit before the finals he might as well have a crack. Could easily spend the rest of his life wondering " what if " otherwise.

Yes of course many players have come back within 11 or 12 months, how many of those players mentioned within 5 or 6?

He won't be ticked off by the medicos. 5 months simply isn't long enough. Not many 30yo's have come back just as well as before after knee recos let alone any player come back and play so soon. I know Goldsack played after 6 months last year in a final but hasn't played an AFL game in 2019. Just isn't the same player.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
I wasn't referring to the difference between 12 months and 24 months, I was referring to coming back well prior to 12 months, the risk is much greater as the ligament hasn't had time to strengthen for extreme pressure . I disagree about it being common for players to play again within 6 months, how many players have come back from knee recos to play AFL footy with ongoing success? None.

Tigers won't risk Rance this season, too much of a risk for virtually no gain. Just have to look at Lynch to see how long it's taken to get back to required fitness and gain confidence.

I completely understand the care we all have to Rance. However, you’re making a number of claims based on gut feel. Rest assured, the club will go by the latest scientific evidence, so what you’re assuming will not apply if he’s selected.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
I completely understand the care we all have to Rance. However, you’re making a number of claims based on gut feel. Rest assured, the club will go by the latest scientific evidence, so what you’re assuming will not apply if he’s selected.

Not gut feel, based on the fact that no one comes back so soon at AFL level. Being a 360 degree game, AFL is very strenuous on the knee. I'm interested in what scientific evidence you are referring to that has AFL players back playing in less than 6 months. Do you have any links? I've never heard of it happening despite you claiming it is common. Examples please. I wish as much as anyone it was possible.

Last edited:

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida

Even if his knee is good, he has some serious conditioning to make up for, and a big break from playing takes time to get your eye back in (ask Tom Lynch). I think it would be mad to bring any player back from a knee injury for finals if they haven't then had time for the equivalent of a pre-season and a few reserves games to get match fitness. Playing guys who aren't ready in the finals has screwed us enough times in the recent past for us to have learned our lesson I hope.

Plus, win or lose this year, we're a big chance next year, and I'd like to have him for that tilt, fully fit and firing.

Reactions: 4 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Yes of course many players have come back within 11 or 12 months, how many of those players mentioned within 5 or 6?

He won't be ticked off by the medicos. 5 months simply isn't long enough. Not many 30yo's have come back just as well as before after knee recos let alone any player come back and play so soon. I know Goldsack played after 6 months last year in a final but hasn't played an AFL game in 2019. Just isn't the same player.

I agree. Rance is a Richmond legend and can do no wrong in my eyes, but he hasn't been part of the journey this season. Timelines are too short. It's not fair to Rance to bring him in underdone, and to also drop someone out of the backline who's play and contribution got us as far as we are going this season. It's a risk to winning, to Rance, and to the backline chemistry of this season. Rance is a big boy and will understand that team always comes first.

Reactions: 2 users

Jetboy

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 6, 2010
Melbourne.....sometimes Broome
We can have discussions, arguments, scientific opinions, medical reports, etc etc.... all of which can be valid, or just plain full of rubbish. However, the bottom line is, no one can comprehensively conclude as to the exact risk of Rance coming back to play finals.

Don’t get me wrong, I, like most of us, love the guy, and can’t wait to have him back on the park.....however, fitness aside, I’d still be very cautious about playing him, say, first up in a final......it’s taken the good part of the season to re work the backline ...the current crop are now working together well in sync, belief, and trust. We have our mojo back, and to put a player back into the fold, especially after missing virtually the entire season, could possibly inflict major damage to the apple cart.

Having said that, if the unthinkable happens, and that flog Cox gets BOG this week, then I’ll be the first to lobby the club to due everything possible to get Rance back for finals

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
Cox isn't Rance's job. We now have extra tall power – a genuine second ruck in Chol – so if Hardwick can't deploy Chol and Soldo (or Nank) to block the space in front of Cox then it's on his head.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
We can have discussions, arguments, scientific opinions, medical reports, etc etc.... all of which can be valid, or just plain full of rubbish. However, the bottom line is, no one can comprehensively conclude as to the exact risk of Rance coming back to play finals.

Don’t get me wrong, I, like most of us, love the guy, and can’t wait to have him back on the park.....however, fitness aside, I’d still be very cautious about playing him, say, first up in a final......it’s taken the good part of the season to re work the backline ...the current crop are now working together well in sync, belief, and trust. We have our mojo back, and to put a player back into the fold, especially after missing virtually the entire season, could possibly inflict major damage to the apple cart.

Having said that, if the unthinkable happens, and that flog Cox gets BOG this week, then I’ll be the first to lobby the club to due everything possible to get Rance back for finals

Like everyone else I want Alex back when he is good to go ...... however I don't want him back if due to being underdone he becomes a liability with teams running off him.

Whether it was just a diversionary tactic last year when asked a question as to Tom Lynch potentially coming to us and what his opinion was, he said something along the lines of ....

So long as it doesn't upset the apple cart.

I'm hoping he and the club factor that in, if and when decision day comes.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Like everyone else I want Alex back when he is good to go ...... however I don't want him back if due to being underdone he becomes a liability with teams running off him.

You'd hate him to go down early and leave us one short in a final, and structurally unsound.

A lot hanging on the surgeon's advice.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
You'd hate him to go down early and leave us one short in a final, and structurally unsound.

A lot hanging on the surgeon's advice.

Last game of the season Round 23 makes it exactly 5 month since the operation. It would be a brave surgeon to give the go ahead. Just can't see it.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
If he plays a game in the VFL he deserves to come back in. If not, then no.

If playing VFL it would have to be Round 20 against Essendon 17th August. Round 21 is a bye for the Tigers. Or then the first final August 30th which is a week off for AFL and then he'd be primed for September 7 or 8 first AFL final.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Cox isn't Rance's job. We now have extra tall power – a genuine second ruck in Chol – so if Hardwick can't deploy Chol and Soldo (or Nank) to block the space in front of Cox then it's on his head.

I cant see us changing our structure greatly just to combat Cox- such as getting our ruck to sit behind play all day. they would want a back up plan in case Cox repeats his prelim effort but history suggests that is highly unlikely.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008

we havent actually settled our backline yet.
the core of Dave, Grimes, Broad, Vlastuin and Houli are there.
Short was there til he was moved the wing for a half then shuffled back.
ShEdwards was there, until he moved up the ground recently, before returning to defence this week.
Stack was there until the last few weeks,
Baker played his first AFL game as a defender last week.
We are still trying to figure out who the best 2 are to fit around that core.

IF Rance is cleared to play, they wont hesitate to play him due to team balance- it will be fitness concerns that would stop him getting picked.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
ShEdwards was there, until he moved up the ground recently, before returning to defence this week.

Disagree. The backline has been very settled last few weeks with that core. Sure there is one spot left that we've played around with but our backline has been very stingy last 4 games and seem to be working extremely well together. Undoubtedly a fit and able Rance would slot straight in but it is a fair comment that with structural changes it an take a little while to gel.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

IF Rance is cleared to play, they wont hesitate to play him due to team balance- it will be fitness concerns that would stop him getting picked.

Get what you are saying Brodders, there is always some flux. I guess my main objection is how could could Rance going straight into a final from zero game time, and I see the risk to him and to the game result as too high if he goes down.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
If playing VFL it would have to be Round 20 against Essendon 17th August. Round 21 is a bye for the Tigers. Or then the first final August 30th which is a week off for AFL and then he'd be primed for September 7 or 8 first AFL final.

The VFL has a bye in the final round? Thats a joke, right?