Alex Rance | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Alex Rance

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
The VFL has a bye in the final round? Thats a joke, right?

Nope, there are byes every round due to having odd number teams but a handful of rounds 3 teams have byes and 2 rounds (including the last) 5 teams have a bye including the Tigers.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Given he's only running straight lines and the club have said Julian Feller (spelling?) will make the decision about Rance returning, I'm 100% comfortable the club has empowered the right people to make the decision. Screw it up and we're Rance-less for most of 2020 too.

I can't believe we'll take the highest risk option for the club, those things considered.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I know Goldsack played after 6 months last year in a final but hasn't played an AFL game in 2019. Just isn't the same player.
For a start Tross is a far better player than Nutsack every day of the week.
But there's also the possible scenario that Tross may also be nowhere near the player he used to be next year, therefore all the more reason if he ticks all the medico boxes and gets the necessary game time leading up. That he gets an opportunity to play finals this year. Could also be that Tross may decide after this year ends that he's done enough within footy n fulfills other aspects of his life. Why would the club deny itself the quality of one final fling from a champion player or deny the player that same opportunity if he's done all the necessary to be right to play.

Reactions: 1 user

mad_tiggy911

Tiger Legend
Mar 30, 2009
I'm just worried it'll be too late for him to regain touch.

He was ordinary towards the end of last year and in round 1.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
For a start Tross is a far better player than Nutsack every day of the week.
But there's also the possible scenario that Tross may also be nowhere near the player he used to be next year, therefore all the more reason if he ticks all the medico boxes and gets the necessary game time leading up. That he gets an opportunity to play finals this year. Could also be that Tross may decide after this year ends that he's done enough within footy n fulfills other aspects of his life. Why would the club deny itself the quality of one final fling from a champion player or deny the player that same opportunity if he's done all the necessary to be right to play.

Sure if he's right to play but what history is there if a player being right to play after a knee reco (non LARS ) within 5 months? There have been regular examples of 9-10 months but not 5. People are dreaming, he just won't be physical ready, he won't be mentally ready to trust his body, he's not Superman,as close as I've seen to Superman but he is human and his k ee needs as much time as the next to graft properly and build confidence to play elite level AFL finals footy. Why would you risk it? Maybe if he doesn't want to continue next year but is that factual or just something you've dreamed up? First time I've heard this idea.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
You blokes do as you please,

But I'll be keeping the fairy tale script running in my head right up until the Thursday night before the GF.

Ive edited it a bit. In the latest version, he blankets McGovern in a forward pocket and doesn't have a single possession, but McGovern doesn't take a single mark. McGovernonly runs in straight lines, so the MC decide Alex can reincarnate Capt. Blood.

History credits with Alex with the unprecedented tally of smalls goals (Rioli, Castagna and Markov kick 12 between them), and Richmond fans refer to him as Vice Captain Blood until the end of time.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Latest Grimes interview on SEN didn't fill me with any confidence Easy. Dyl said it was unlikely they'd risk him & that the backline had been forced to change their roles so much to cover & that they were starting to get settled now. That said he could be looking to take the media pressure off but if i was a betting man I'd say they'll be eyeing 2020.

Reactions: 3 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
As a punter, I find its a bit of a no brainer that if he is 90% fit, they try him out in a VFL final if need be.

the risk/benefit analysis stacks up.

the risk is that his knee goes and he misses 2020. I would think that if the docs say he can have a crack, then the risk of his knee going would be very low. Even if it did, we've shown that without him, our game evolves, we bring in new talent, and win games. So I judge the risk of a try in the VFL as LOW/MEDIUM. If he were to come back in an AFL final, there is an added risk of him going down early, and us playing a man down and our structure going. So if he couldn't test it in a VFL game, I would grade the risk of a senior return after H&A as HIGH

the benefit is clear. the side running out with their colossally courageous, inspirational leader (and possibly without Jayden Short) wins premiership No.12. The benefit is graded as VERY HIGH.

Obviously, the MC would be having this conversation, which is why we are too.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Latest Grimes interview on SEN didn't fill me with any confidence Easy. Dyl said it was unlikely they'd risk him & that the backline had been forced to change their roles so much to cover & that they were starting to get settled now. That said he could be looking to take the media pressure off but if i was a betting man I'd say they'll be eyeing 2020.

I suspect Grimes would likely say that in any case. Why give the game away?

But in any case I'm in the camp that would prefer to see Rance wait till next year.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

See I heard it differently. I latched onto the 'he is training as if he could run out this week'.

I also think that he wouldn't resume the role he played in 2018.

I envisage the back 6 would stick to their structure (with Grimes deepest etc), and Rance would take on, say Shorts role.

I understand the other perspective, but I don't think there is the margin for a conservative approach in footy.

even the best side needs to roll the dice to take a flag home.

it can be 70 years between chances. It could be a once in a lifetime chance for little Poppy Reiwoldt or Trent Cotchin Jr. to sing the song on the last Saturday in September.

go for it.

Reactions: 1 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
See I heard it differently. I latched onto the 'he is training as if he could run out this week'.

I also think that he wouldn't resume the role he played in 2018.

I envisage the back 6 would stick to their structure (with Grimes deepest etc), and Rance would take on, say Shorts role.

I understand the other perspective, but I don't think there is the margin for a conservative approach in footy.

even the best side needs to roll the dice to take a flag home.

it can be 70 years between chances. It could be a once in a lifetime chance for little Poppy Reiwoldt or Trent Cotchin Jr. to sing the song on the last Saturday in September.

go for it.

True however there's also the chance it could backfire & not just because there's the risk of aggravating the injury again.
Firstly he won't be match hardened heading into the toughest games of the season.
Secondly the defence is settled. These players have been playing their roles all season without him.
Rance is an absolute champion & if it was the Rance we know & trust pre injury, I wouldn't give selecting him a second thought.
However recovery from knee injuries take time even when declared fit to play his intercept game (the one Floss & Grimes have been playing), is one that relies on peak athleticism.
We saw in finals last season that going in with great players underdone can hurt you no matter what their credentials. If Alex is 10% off he has also been shown to be a liability.
I guess what I am saying is sometimes the conservative approach might be the best roll of the dice. Anyways in Dimma we trust.

Reactions: 3 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017

Have to give him a lobotomy and remove the fearlessness.

• Haha

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
True however there's also the chance it could backfire & not just because there's the risk of aggravating the injury again.
Firstly he won't be match hardened heading into the toughest games of the season.
Secondly the defence is settled. These players have been playing their roles all season without him.
Rance is an absolute champion & if it was the Rance we know & trust pre injury, I wouldn't give selecting him a second thought.
However recovery from knee injuries take time even when declared fit to play his intercept game (the one Floss & Grimes have been playing), is one that relies on peak athleticism.
We saw in finals last season that going in with great players underdone can hurt you no matter what their credentials. If Alex is 10% off he has also been shown to be a liability.
I guess what I am saying is sometimes the conservative approach might be the best roll of the dice. Anyways in Dimma we trust.

Yeah. im being silly with the fairy tale scripts.

I wouldn't pick him first up for an AFL final, but I wouldn't hesitate to give him an AFL H&A, or a VFL final if he and Dimma pressured the docs into stamping a crack

and if he got through that, its all on.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
But I'll be keeping the fairy tale script running in my head right up until the Thursday night before the GF.

I love a good fairy tale as much as the next new age guy but in the end that's all it is,a fairy tale.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I love a good fairy tale as the next new age guy but in the end that's all it is,a fairy tale.

2017 was a fairy tale. Sydney Stack is a fairy tale. Trent Cotchin Jr. is a fairy tale.

they come true all the time.