Alex Rance | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Alex Rance

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
the reduced list for 2021 and beyond would also be a factor, both for Alex and the club.
This year might be the last opportunity

Stig

Tiger Superstar
Mar 2, 2020
Right now his academy, gym etc. is closed. He's got no income like many. I'd be amazed if he wasn't considering it.
I thought exactly the same . Did the signing rounds re his recent book launch . Cash flow would be now starting to run thin with both academy sites closed .Where I thought there was zero chance 3 months ago . Would think it’s a 20% chance now . Especially with the concept of reduced lists moving forward

Reactions: 1 user

zgod

Tiger Legend
Feb 25, 2008
I thought exactly the same . Did the signing rounds re his recent book launch . Cash flow would be now starting to run thin with both academy sites closed .Where I thought there was zero chance 3 months ago . Would think it’s a 20% chance now . Especially with the concept of reduced lists moving forward
Dont think its about the cash with Rancey

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
I love the Trossman as much as anyone he's been one of my absolute faves since he arrived.

But its got to the time to move on now he's gone and I cant see him coming back I'd be staggered if he did.

But like Lloyd Christmas .............................................. any chance is still a chance but I'm no longer holding out.

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Well, he's still on the list, a contracted player. I don't think it's wishful thinking (like you said, we're ok without him) but if he really wants to come back and can convince the group he's genuine, then why wouldn't we? It's just a discussion by the way, I don't personally think it will happen, but it's worth a chat.
I agree that we would be mad not to take him back into the fold if we could and it was with a full playing group agreement but somehow I think Alex has fell out of love with the footy pressures so is going to move onto over things.

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
I agree that we would be mad not to take him back into the fold if we could and it was with a full playing group agreement but somehow I think Alex has fell out of love with the footy pressures so is going to move onto over things.
Yep, there's also a reasonable argument that re-contracting anyone in their 30's is going to be impossible if list sizes reduce, and probably unwise even if they don't. So if we get back playing this year then maybe, but otherwise 100% no thanks.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Yep, there's also a reasonable argument that re-contracting anyone in their 30's is going to be impossible if list sizes reduce, and probably unwise even if they don't. So if we get back playing this year then maybe, but otherwise 100% no thanks.

But Rance isn't just "anyone".

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
EXACTLY.

In this current footy free climate, I've been watching a stack of recent games. Especially 2017.

Sir Rancealot is a freak. A genuine superstar. I'd take him back in a heartbeat.
Sure, he's Rance, superstar for sure - but let's keep in mind he's played half a game in the last 17 months. If he wants to come back this year, great - he's already on the list. But if there's no footy this year? Would you give a contract to a 33 year old who hasn't played footy in 2 1/2 years - even Rance?

Mycotchinrules

That's just like, your opinion, man
Mar 17, 2014
Sure, he's Rance, superstar for sure - but let's keep in mind he's played half a game in the last 17 months. If he wants to come back this year, great - he's already on the list. But if there's no footy this year? Would you give a contract to a 33 year old who hasn't played footy in 2 1/2 years - even Rance?
Yeah I would give him a contract for sure. He's the best defender I've seen play, and I'd roll the dice.

There's very few players that I'd consider that for, and it could certainly fail (like Benny Cousins did for us, or Carey for the crows, etc)

zgod

Tiger Legend
Feb 25, 2008
It’s goes along long way you will find
Of course but a smart bloke like Alex would have no doubt been wise with his money prior.
The vibe he gave off was on of someone wanting to explore his faith and life.
Money is and was no driving force hence him leaving a substantial amount on the table when he walked.
He ain't coming back.

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
Yeah I would give him a contract for sure. He's the best defender I've seen play, and I'd roll the dice.

There's very few players that I'd consider that for, and it could certainly fail (like Benny Cousins did for us, or Carey for the crows, etc)
Hmm. I thought we did pretty well out of Cousins. What was your expectation?

Reactions: 2 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
I think we did well out of him but not so well towards him.
The club was a great environment during what can now be seen was an early point in his addiction history.
Always felt we should have kept him at the club at the end of his playing career.
Many will disagree but I rather thought that should have been part of the deal.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
No question in my mind that we wouldn't have won these flags had we not recruited Cousins, his influence on Dustin was significant.

Music to my ears BR.

I was always, and remain, a firm fan of Cuz.

yeah, he is addicted,

but so are plenty of us.

Mycotchinrules

That's just like, your opinion, man
Mar 17, 2014
That's a fair call but I think you'll find he is a difficult bloke to pin down and the offer to stay and work was there is he wanted it.

No question in my mind that we wouldn't have won these flags had we not recruited Cousins, his influence on Dustin was significant.
I'm a fan of Benny Cuz, and was stoked to get him to the tiges. But I reckon you're slightly overstating his impact. He retired in 2010.

The biggest influence on Dusty, only my opinion, has been Cotch and there's a few articles on the influence Emma Murray has had on him also.

The first article that comes up when I Google Cousins and Dustin Martin is how Dusty had to block Ben's calls, as he wanted to sell an old footy jumper for cash.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I'm sure Dustin will release a book when he is done. Not spilling any secrets to say he was a bit loose in his early days and Cousins was well equipped to guide someone through that, both as someone with the respect to give advice to ease up, but also how to handle something when you stuff up!

The whole assumption that someone who is addicted, been in jail, made significant mistakes, is automatically going to be a bad influence is pretty simplistic IMHO.

For every time some *smile* suggested I do something dumb when I was a young bloke,

I reckon there was 10 blokes who had already done those dumb things, suggesting that I shouldnt do them

I simply cant imagine Cuz not singing The House of The Rising Sun to Dusty regularly.

Some people dont ever manage to overcome their demons, but the vast majority would develop useful insight into their demons that they can share.