Brisbane v Richmond September 1 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Brisbane v Richmond September 1

BluesBloke

Tiger Superstar
Mar 15, 2012
This pre-finals bye is rubbish. Keen to just have the next lot of games played after yesterday.

The only positive in the pre-finals bye is it helps out grassroots footy.

But then the AFL has delivered an uppercut to local leagues anyway by putting arguably the first week's highest drawing match at 4.30 on a Saturday, clashing with local finals. Clubs hosting finals need the money desperately after the last two years. Gil might jump on the radio and spruik how well 'the game' is going, but 'the game' extends well beyond the corporate product. He might like to travel 40 minutes out of the city to see how well it's really going. And let's not forget the country comps. They've missed the mark here with the scheduling.

Anyway, I digress.

Think the Tigers will do this one, I haven't rated Brisbane for the last few years amid all the hype and I think their number is up next Thursday night. They'll be found out for the pretenders they are - again. Richmond by 30.

• Love
Reactions: 17 users

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
As an aside, ive been on the road this year, trying to get a handle on australia

My main learning is this;

geelong supporters all across the nation,

are complete c *smile* s

I could have told you that Ezy without even leaving my house.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
We're the guinea pig, because channel seven want to turn Thursday night's into watching footy (they don't care about crowds at the ground), and the Tiger Army is so large (even if many do attend the game) that the tv network is guaranteed a ratings success.
Don't like it myself, but the footy world is going to be vastly different for footy fans after the next broadcast rights are signed off.
The corrupt AFL is taking footy down the NFL path.

Yep. 4 games every Saturday on pay TV. None on FTA. People are gonna lose their shizen when it all comes out.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users

Stig

Tiger Superstar
Mar 2, 2020
Considering the first Saturday game at the G is a twighlight game at 4.35pm, we could also have played Saturday afternoon at the Gabba with a 1pm start.
It’s definitely a broadcast thing. Not geared at all to supporters
Brisbane has won the right to a home final . They cannot play on Friday or Saturday due to the Riverfire festival. Thus the late release of the scheduling last night

Reactions: 3 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
This pre-finals bye is rubbish. Keen to just have the next lot of games played after yesterday.

The only positive in the pre-finals bye is it helps out grassroots footy.

But then the AFL has delivered an uppercut to local leagues anyway by putting arguably the first week's highest drawing match at 4.30 on a Saturday, clashing with local finals. Clubs hosting finals need the money desperately after the last two years. Gil might jump on the radio and spruik how well 'the game' is going, but 'the game' extends well beyond the corporate product. He might like to travel 40 minutes out of the city to see how well it's really going. And let's not forget the country comps. They've missed the mark here with the scheduling.

Anyway, I digress.

Think the Tigers will do this one, I haven't rated Brisbane for the last few years amid all the hype and I think their number is up next Thursday night. They'll be found out for the pretenders they are - again. Richmond by 30.
The problem with not having a bye is the AFL would then be restricted with the game scheduling because of turnaround times. (not defending it btw). Richmond would only have a 5 day turnaround for Thursday night, Collingwood and the swans couldn't play on Thursday or Friday etc.
Their insistence of having a Thursday night game and no Sunday game makes it really difficult not to have a bye now.

Reactions: 1 user

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
They do but there is a balance. The game has been built around fans at the footy, the tribal element of the crowd, the noise and all the rest of what is involved.
There is a line not to be stepped over where the game is about TV and the attraction of the fans to actually attend games is too diminished. That is not just about those people but membership, sponsorships and everything that comes with a members club.
Agree. Was responding to a comment that implied attendance was the primary concern.
And the AFL needs to balance the interests of 8 clubs, TV and itself in week 1
Not saying they got it all right but it's not as simple as saying RFC must play Friday night or sat.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
In some ways this is a good thing (@TrialByVideo provided a good example ^^^ when they didn’t make a song and dance over wearing the clash jumper in the 2017 GF). But every now and then there comes a time where the club needs to stand up for itself and the supporters.

The shocking umpiring bias is one example. And another example is being forced to play an interstate final on a Thursday night, denying supporters an opportunity to attend.

Let’s not forget that this comes on top of being forced to play consecutive home games on a Thursday night earlier in the season. why the F*** are we always the AFL's guinea pig for thursday night? :mad:
Answe to last question is surely obvious?

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Brisbane has won the right to a home final . They cannot play on Friday or Saturday due to the Riverfire festival. Thus the late release of the scheduling last night
They will have something to do for the weekend then after we take them apart on Thursday night

Reactions: 2 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Yeah I get the slight sarcasm in your post but this whole Geelong people don't go to the MCG Thursday night is complete rubbish. They would have as many supporters in Melbourne as they do in Geelong. No one can even attempt to make a valid argument that their supporter group would be anywhere near disadvantaged by some of them having to travel 75km as opposed to Richmond supporters having to travel 2000km for a Thursday night game.

Logic and equity would dictate that Geelong v Pies is Thursday and we play a Friday or preferably Saturday game. But as we know that never comes into it when the AFL has a chance to *smile* Richmond over.

Well chl7 just confirmed that Geelong requested the Saturday night twilight so it easier for their fans and finishing on top their request was granted, (so my sarcasm is Geelong fact).

Reactions: 1 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
My worry is that we have won our flags based on tight defence. That has fallen away in 2022.

Yes we have scored heavily this year, but finals tend to be low-scoring pressure cookers.

Are we Geelong in the late 80s early 90s at the moment? All sizzle and no sausage?

We need to tighten up somewhere. I wanted to see it against Essendon and to an extent it was there. We kept them to 10 goals but you just get the sense we are susceptible down back.

You know Prestia and Cotchin will step up and stiffen the midfield against Brisbane, but I worry about Cameron, McCarthy, Bailey, etc.

Should be an interesting game.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
My worry is that we have won our flags based on tight defence. That has fallen away in 2022.

Yes we have scored heavily this year, but finals tend to be low-scoring pressure cookers.

Are we Geelong in the late 80s early 90s at the moment? All sizzle and no sausage?

We need to tighten up somewhere. I wanted to see it against Essendon and to an extent it was there. We kept them to 10 goals but you just get the sense we are susceptible down back.

You know Prestia and Cotchin will step up and stiffen the midfield against Brisbane, but I worry about Cameron, McCarthy, Bailey, etc.

Yeah it'll take some time to glue together especially with future young ones along with Gibbo and we can say Balta.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
They will throw everything at us.

They have and will continue to cop criticism till match day.

It’s on their turf and yes we have a good record there and won a GF on their ground.

Our record in Elimination Finals under Hardwick is 0-3. Two we led at HT only to lose in the last and one we got blown off the park by PA.

I’m nervous as but excited we are playing finals after last year. Going to be tough to win it outside the top 4.

Can’t wait for next Thursday!

Going to be some unlucky payers who will miss out on selection.

Last edited:

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Well chl7 just confirmed that Geelong requested the Saturday night twilight so it easier for their fans and finishing on top their request was granted, (so my sarcasm is Geelong fact).
I knew it was the case. Doesn't anyone recall the QF 17 hullabaloo from Geelong?

Reactions: 1 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights

No data but this year the backline seems susceptible to dissaray for longish intervals with. several entries over a few minutes where we lose structure and composure. even for a while in 2nd it happened v Ess. That's why Grimes out is a concern even though these collapses also occurred when he was playing.