Brisbane v Richmond September 1 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Brisbane v Richmond September 1

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Well chl7 just confirmed that Geelong requested the Saturday night twilight so it easier for their fans and finishing on top their request was granted, (so my sarcasm is Geelong fact).

Hmm - were we given the same option in 2018 when we were scheduled to play the hawks on the Thursday night? - that was a pain getting to Melb to watch live on a Thursday night.

Reactions: 3 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
They will throw everything at us.

They have and will continue to cop criticism till match day.

It’s on their turf and yes we have a good record there and won a GF on their ground.

Our record in Elimination Finals under Hardwick is 0-3. Two we left at HT only to lose in the last and one we got blown off the park by PA.

I’m nervous as but excited we are playing finals after last year. Going to be tough to win it outside the top 4.

Can’t wait for next Thursday!

Going to be some unlucky payers who will miss out on selection.
Eh, Bears are on their knees.
They look tired and slow.
1Q might be tight, but second half we’ll run away with it.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
The last five weeks we have conceded an average of 72 points per game, while scoring 107 ourselves. We played Freo, Brisbane, Port, Hawthorn, Essendon. Two bottom half of the 8 sides, three non-finalists.

In the same time, Geelong has conceded 66 per game and scored 112. Three of those games were at Goombah Stadium. Played Port, Dogs, Saints, Suns, Eagles. Four non-finalists and the team that fell into 8th.

Melbourne: For 93, Against 75. (Dogs, Freo, Pies, Blues, Bears.) Five top-9 sides.

Sydney: For 104, Against 67. (Crows, GWS, Norf, Pies, Saints.) One finalist.

Collingwood: For 78, Against 80. (Bummers, Port, Dees, Swans, Blues.) Two top-4 sides.

Freo: For 69, Against 66. (Us, Dees, Dogs, Eagles, GWS.) Three top-8 sides.

Brisbane: For 92, Against 94. (Suns, Us, Blues, Saints, Dees.) Two top-8 sides.

Dogs: For 81, Against 82. (Dees, Cats, Freo, GWS, Hawks.) 1st, 2nd, 5th.

Who comes out of that looking the best, all things considered? Melbourne? Then Collingwood, us and Geelong in some order? (we and the Cats both played Port away and they played the Suns away too.) Dogs don't look as bad considering their draw, and Sydney you could argue were flattered by theirs.

Our defence has been better the last month or so. Fourth for fewest points conceded in the last five rounds, and second for scoring. David King would like those numbers.

Reactions: 6 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Well chl7 just confirmed that Geelong requested the Saturday night twilight so it easier for their fans and finishing on top their request was granted, (so my sarcasm is Geelong fact).
No worries that sounds fair. Geelong get whatever they want. I’m sure we requested the Thursday night game against Hawthorn in 2018 when we finished 2 games clear on top……….

I don’t dispute what you say; just that it is absolutely stupid of the AFL and it has severely limited the ability of Richmond fans to attend a game 2000km away.

Oh but we have to look after the Geelong fans who must travel 75km; even when the majority of them who go to the game probably live in Melbourne. What a load of *smile*. Geelong fans are softc0cks and the AFL are corrupt cheating pricks.

tha8ball

Tiger Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Oh East Melbourne!
The last five weeks we have conceded an average of 72 points per game, while scoring 107 ourselves. We played Freo, Brisbane, Port, Hawthorn, Essendon. Two bottom half of the 8 sides, three non-finalists.

In the same time, Geelong has conceded 66 per game and scored 112. Three of those games were at Goombah Stadium. Played Port, Dogs, Saints, Suns, Eagles. Four non-finalists and the team that fell into 8th.

Melbourne: For 93, Against 75. (Dogs, Freo, Pies, Blues, Bears.) Five top-9 sides.

Collingwood: For 78, Against 80. (Bummers, Port, Dees, Swans, Blues.) Two top-4 sides.

Who comes out of that looking the best, all things considered? Melbourne? Then Collingwood, us and Geelong in some order? (we and the Cats both played Port away and they played the Suns away too.) Dogs don't look as bad considering their draw, and Sydney you could argue were flattered by theirs.

Our defence has been better the last month or so. Fourth for fewest points conceded in the last five rounds, and second for scoring. David King would like those numbers.
We have also managed to do it without our best defender and captain for 3.5 out of those 5 games.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Brisbane has won the right to a home final . They cannot play on Friday or Saturday due to the Riverfire festival. Thus the late release of the scheduling last night
Isn't the riverfire pyro on Sat night? Friday night, Saturday day or Sunday not an option?

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
We finished 7th. Rightly so, we dont get much of a choice.

Finish 1st and you deserve a choice. Pretty obvious the Cats want their fans there which is why neither Thursday nor Friday was ever going to be the choice - they'd be as wary of the Pies crowd support after the fan numbers we have had against them these last few yrs.

I for one, am rapt we plays finals. Even just the one game.

But IMO, our defence is way too leaky to be a real threat - and by defence, I dont mean just the backline. Its the mids transitioning back (unable to run back and defend). that is part of the problem. I hope Jack Graham gets up b/c he's a defending mid and we need that.

Reactions: 2 users

Jake

Tiger Superstar
Apr 2, 2005
Isn't the riverfire pyro on Sat night? Friday night, Saturday day or Sunday not an option?

Thursday night football, just because NRL have games on that night (mates up here hate it), it isn't necessary good. Western Bulldogs had to go W.A. to play on a Thurday night in 2016 and we all know how that ended. The AFL isn't going to change it, so we have to go with it.

Reactions: 1 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
My worry is that we have won our flags based on tight defence. That has fallen away in 2022.

Yes we have scored heavily this year, but finals tend to be low-scoring pressure cookers.

Are we Geelong in the late 80s early 90s at the moment? All sizzle and no sausage?

We need to tighten up somewhere. I wanted to see it against Essendon and to an extent it was there. We kept them to 10 goals but you just get the sense we are susceptible down back.

You know Prestia and Cotchin will step up and stiffen the midfield against Brisbane, but I worry about Cameron, McCarthy, Bailey, etc.

Should be an interesting game.

Good point. But I will note that clearances was our biggest concern going into the 2020 finals and we cleaned that up.

I would also argue that we have defended better in recent weeks without Grimes (it pains me to say this, but its true). as @spook said ^^^ our points against average in 2022 is 80.9. the past 5 weeks have been 72.8.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012

Some good numbers Spook but I am only partially reassured.

On a purely instinctive level I am jittery AF whenever the ball is kicked into our D50.

Once was a time I’d just look for Rance or Astbury.

Hopefully Balta can be our Colossus this September.

Reactions: 1 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Zorko what a Grub.
Called out to an opposition player 10 yrs his junior "I hope your mum dies'
Not sure he wouldve walked off the ground if he said that in the 70's or 80's or even the 90's
I'm shocked that Gilligan didn't take it further but his name isn't Pickett or Greene.
The sooner he leaves the game the better.
My all time worse footballer I've seen I'm 45 yrs.

• Angry

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Absolutely brilliant
I knew we were going ok but Hardwick is a master.
He is like a horse trainer in the Melbourne cup he trains us cherry ripe for the Big Race.
Hardwick learnt alot from 2018.

Reactions: 1 user

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Absolutely brilliant
I knew we were going ok but Hardwick is a master.
He is like a horse trainer in the Melbourne cup he trains us cherry ripe for the Big Race.
Hardwick learnt alot from 2018.
I've been calling him Bart Hardwick for years, ziffens.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
Zorko what a Grub.
Called out to an opposition player 10 yrs his junior "I hope your mum dies'
Not sure he wouldve walked off the ground if he said that in the 70's or 80's or even the 90's
I'm shocked that Gilligan didn't take it further but his name isn't Pickett or Greene.
The sooner he leaves the game the better.
My all time worse footballer I've seen I'm 45 yrs.
He would not had said it in those eras. You used to get grassed just for being an influential player let alone a bottom feeder like Dorko.

Reactions: 2 users