Changes V Carlton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes V Carlton

Can't read anything into the Essendon game.
Essendon is a rabble.
The Collingwood game (Round 11) is the interesting one.
Collingwood held them goalless in the third quarter.
Cameron, assisted by Cox, destroyed De Koning in the ruck.
Walsh and Hewett dominated possessions.

Reactions: 1 user
I know we're not a clearance team but the number of times we got the hit out and they waltzed away was concerning. Blues midfield will rip us a new one next week unless we apply more pressure at stoppages
Soldo was definitely the main culprit, beautiful palm downs to Port mids on numerous occasions.

Yes, mIller has been great but in the seniors, the times he has played he was easily outmaneuvered in contests.
Don't get wrong his last 5 weeks have been great in the ressies. Time will tell if he can replicate that in the seniors.

Huh? Tarrant kept Mckay to 1 goal in round 1, and Curnow got doughnuts (1 goal between them)

You're carrying on like Tarrant is some spud. He has been a very good backman for over a decade.
Id go again with Tarrant on McKay and Balta on Curnow. Grimes on SOS

Tarrant is not quick but geez he is strong one-on-one, doesn't get pushed around easy and his overhead marking is getting back to how it was when he played at North.
I agree with your observations concerning Ben Millers recent form but
as for Tarrant are you missing the plainly obvious?

Over head marking back to his best… Strong one on one….
Mmmmmm.

I named my changes before I realised McKay was back, with the plan to play Balta as second ruck. But we'll need him down back, can't put Gibcus on a flying Curnow after the last two games.

B: Grimes Tarrant Vlastuin
HB: Baker Balta DRioli
C: McIntosh Pickett Broad
HF: Bolton Martin Short
F: Clarke Lynch Riewoldt
R: Nankervis Cotchin Prestia
I: Gibcus Lambert Graham MRioli
S: Edwards

In: Lynch Lambert MRioli
Out: Soldo Ralphsmith Edwards

Jack (or Broad) can play second ruck against Silvagni, surely. Try Broad on the wing, Pickett in the guts. We need more oomph at centre clearances and we want to run them off their feet.
I would play Pickett in the ruck when up against Silvagni. Knee straight into the rib cage.

But one things for sure we need to replace Soldo for an extra runner.

Reactions: 3 users
Soldo had six contested possessions.
Collingwood's ruck duo of Cameron/Cox annihilated De Koning, one of the chief reasons they won.
We are playing two rucks.
Their lack of a proper ruck is their weak point.
The only concern is the Carlton mids, Walsh and Hewett.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Room for optimism v Carlton

Last time v Carlton we were missing
Vlastuin lambert and Mcintosh
And Riewoldt and Prestia were injured early

No wonder we were run down late

Meanwhile they’ve lost weitering McGovern Williams McDonald

Reactions: 3 users
Tarrant improved markedly (no pun intended) in the second half, but remains the odd man out.
In: Lynch
Out: Tarrant
Lambert does not come in, remains the sub.
Essendon is a nothing team, tonight's result is meaningless.
Fine weather for Thursday, so Bolton should recover his form in good playing conditions.
Bolton should be told to stop lairising and remember it's a team game. That pathetic attempt at a dribble kick from the top of the square was a (smiling) disgrace. Concentrate and stop being so casual about disposal.

In: Lynch, Lambert (Interch.), Bauer (Interch.)
Out: Soldo, Tarrant, Edwards
M.sub: Edwards

Balta replaces Tarrant and when Jack or Tom relieve Nank in the ruck then Bauer comes on to relieve either of them up forward.
Haven't seen enough of Miller to put him in but just love those hands of Bauer who's in form and not fazed when asked to step up to the VFL so I'm sure he'll have no fear stepping up to AFL.
He took some good grabs in very poor lighting conditions on Wednesday night so imagine what he could do on the G. Can't wait.
The boy kicks pretty well too.
Yeah, ok it probably won't happen this week but it won't be long.

I agree with your observations concerning Ben Millers recent form but
as for Tarrant are you missing the plainly obvious?

Over head marking back to his best… Strong one on one….
Mmmmmm.

I didn't say back to his best, I said> his overhead marking is getting back to how it was when he played at North. Meaning taking strong contested marks.
He is strong one on one, but like all backmen, he can be out marked but I would take Tarrant over gibcus who is still a kid and miller to take on McKay

Bolton should be told to stop lairising and remember it's a team game. That pathetic attempt at a dribble kick from the top of the square was a (smiling) disgrace. Concentrate and stop being so casual about disposal.

You can add Riewoldt to that discussion too, did a dribble kick when a simple drop punt would've got him the goal. I couldn't believe he tried a dribble when it wasn't needed, and agreed same as Bolton, it wasn't neccassary.
Hopefully next week they both kick multiple goals.

Reactions: 4 users

And their No 1 ruckman Pittonet. Looking likely that Cerra will also miss with hamstring tightness.

Bummers could have beaten them last night. In the 3rd and last Bummers had plenty of inside 50 opportunities they just didn't have the class to make them count.

Blues midfield is strong. Cerra may miss though. Keep McKay and Curnow well held and they are nothing

You seriously reckon Hardwick is jeopardising our season to get Edwards to 300??

A much more likely scenario is Hardwick and the MC know how good Edwards can be and are giving him every chance to find form close to that.
In honour of our Richmond man culture he's giving a club champion n triple premiership player the chance to get to 300 games on his terms n with some dignity. We all know how good Shedda can be when he's fit n on song, but sadly he's looking like the wall has found him unexpectedly n he's staggering to the line.
A dozen games in after a full pre season is a hell of a long time at elite level to be scratching for form n not finding it. Perhaps a few weeks as a medical sub where he may only be required to play a half game or two helps ease the load n freshens him up for one last hurrah late in the year.

Shedda, Lamblett, Cotchinator, Jaaack, Dusty all fit n on song is awesome, but that much premium talent each just a few % off all together gets chewed up n spat out by any hungry half decent team.

I thought Edwards was good on Thursday.

Tough, hard at it, and had some good involvements. The handball to Rioli for his goal was a thing of beauty. TV made it look simple, but it was pure vision and touch.

He's not being gifted games. He's better than anything we have at VFL level, even at half power.

Reactions: 6 users
Bummers could have beaten them last night. In the 3rd and last Bummers had plenty of inside 50 opportunities they just didn't have the class to make them count.

Blues midfield is strong. Cerra may miss though. Keep McKay and Curnow well held and they are nothing
I expect the umps to have a big say in how Curnow and McKay go
The number of easy frees they get is unbelievable

Reactions: 1 users
I expect the umps to have a big say in how Curnow and McKay go
The number of easy frees they get is unbelievable

What irks me is, that we never see Lynch and Jack get the easy free's that these two get, especially McKay.