Connors | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Connors

Re: Conners

hartigan does not put his head over the ball????

are you watching the same hartigan? the knock on hartigan is his kicking. he is one of the toughest players on the list, but its his kicking that lets him down

Back on Connors, I am gob smacked by the pasting some people have gave him on the Coburg board.

For years we have bemoaned the fact that we lack any enforcers or anyone with a bit of mongrel in them and then Connors shows attitude, swagger and a bit of mongrel and he gets howled down. You cannot have your cake and eat it too.

I am %100 in favour of this kid and his style. If you don't like him don't complain about our guys getting ragged doll and looked down upon without dishing it back.

Doolz85 said:
hartigan does not put his head over the ball????

are you watching the same hartigan? the knock on hartigan is his kicking. he is one of the toughest players on the list, but its his kicking that lets him down

Agreed, I dont think it's his hardness that's been an issue, more his disposal (and maybe attitude?)

SCOOP said:
Back on Connors, I am gob smacked by the pasting some people have gave him on the Coburg board.

For years we have bemoaned the fact that we lack any enforcers or anyone with a bit of mongrel in them and then Connors shows attitude, swagger and a bit of mongrel and he gets howled down. You cannot have your cake and eat it too.

I am %100 in favour of this kid and his style. If you don't like him don't complain about our guys getting ragged doll and looked down upon without dishing it back.

Good post Pooper.

jb03 said:
SCOOP said:

Good post Pooper.

Connors copped a week for his actions didn't he?

There's aggression and then there's aggression.

Whilst I'm all for Dan showing some mongrel, belting people in front of the umps ain't smart.
That's for boofheads.

He isn't much good to us spending time on the sidelines.

Tigers of Old said:
jb03 said:
SCOOP said:

Good post Pooper.

Whilst I'm all for Dan showing some mongrel, belting people in front of the umps ain't smart.
That's for boofheads.

Gotta agree - it's just not smart - the best players are aggressive at the ball instead. Not cheap shot takers. Hopefully lesson learned!

Tigers of Old said:
jb03 said:
SCOOP said:

Good post Pooper.

That's for boofheads.

You're getting soft on us Tooheys! IF you want the aggro aggressive type you have to live with their down sides.

Tigers of Old said:
jb03 said:
SCOOP said:

i just hope we can develop 3 or 4 more boofheads who can actually get the pill and kick it well.

Good post Pooper.

That's for boofheads.

The kids 18. I'm prepared to give him a break. If in 5 years he has, at the age of 23, enough control of his naturally aggressive personality, much like King has, then he's going to be a gun.

jb03 said:
You're getting soft on us Tooheys! IF you want the aggro aggressive type you have to live with their down sides.

Soft? LOL whatever jackson browne.

In case you didn't realise this ain't the 1970s anymore.
You can't just thump blokes and get away with it. :boxing
Loose cannons went out in the dark ages mate.

Anyway I hope he keeps his fire, just channels it in the right directions. 8)

the claw said:
i just hope we can develop 3 or 4 more boofheads who can actually get the pill and kick it well.

Hi claw

Agree, nice to see the agro. Have no problem with him being aggressive on the field. The only concern I have, which I voiced on the Coburg thread, is if he can't control himself off the field.

He is young, I shall cut him some slack. Hopefully he is more intelligent than one T. Zantuck. Hopefully his mates aren't complete idiots going to get him into trouble.

I suppose you don't need to be a saint to be a good footballer, you just have to look at W. Carey and B. Cousins. Unfortunately I think our club can do without the distraction ATM.

Hopefully the rumors and just examples of youthful exuberance. It frustrates me that we may have found a real player but he is not going to take it seriously enough to get the most out of himself. That makes me really mad.

For the record I really like what I have seen of the boy so far and I am really look forward to seeing him in the seniors sooner rather than later. Both he and Casserley get me very excited, but they both seem to be having trouble getting themselves into the team for different reasons.

Where are all the posts regarding the dozens of suspensions other Richmond players have received over the years and the moaning thereof - many of those suspensions being more than one piddly week ?

Exactly,

Cant believe the many posts dissing young Connors. Our senior players struggle to find it within themselves to fly the flag & protect the young players when they get thrown around & niggled every week.

Here we have a player that not just does that, but actually STARTS the aggression & hurt. So what if he throws an elbow or knee late in a pack & gets a week or two here & there.

I see nothing but positives from Dans actions.

The lads 18 years old & wants to live a little. Big deal if he gets out for a beer on weekends. Who cares if he's an arrogant so & so. Leysy dont & hopefully Wallet dont either.

Redford said:
Where are all the posts regarding the dozens of suspensions other Richmond players have received over the years and the moaning thereof - many of those suspensions being more than one piddly week ?
As I said in the Coburg thread Reddog were was the outcry when JON got a week.

Watch the game last night and gee he looks good.

Was also impressed by Danny's and Sarge's efforts

WesternTiger said:
Redford said:
As I said in the Coburg thread Reddog were was the outcry when JON got a week.

Watch the game last night and gee he looks good.

Was also impressed by Danny's and Sarge's efforts

They go hard at it those Coburg kids. Always good to watch. Value for money every time you watch a Coburg game.

Leysy Days said:

Good to see there's no shortage of backslappers around here. ;D
I'm all for controlled aggression but how anyone can condone undisciplined behaviour in the modern game is beyond me.
I'm sure if he's continually giving away 50m penalties or getting suspended regularly by the club and the tribunal you'll all change you tune pretty quickly.
Sure the lad's only 18 and there's plenty of time for him to 'mature' but without knowing all the details it seems there's a pattern of behaviour that needs to be not quashed but harnessed.

I can't wait to see Dan play and I want to see the aggro but I don't want a liability who loses it through frustration etc.
Hopefully he can focus his aggression for the good of the team.

Tigers of Old said:
Leysy Days said:

I'm all for controlled aggression but how anyone can condone undisciplined behaviour in the modern game is beyond me.
I'm sure if he's continually giving away 50m penalties or getting suspended regularly by the club and the tribunal you'll all change you tune pretty quickly.
Sure the lad's only 18 and there's plenty of time for him to 'mature' but without knowing all the details it seems there's a pattern of behaviour that needs to be not quashed but harnessed.

I can't wait to see Dan play and I want to see the aggro but I don't want a liability who loses it through frustration etc.
Good post ToO. Dan looks the goods but indiscriminate flinging of an elbow is nothing to be proud of and doesnt further anyones cause (his, Coburgs or Richmonds). As you say, hopefully at 18 he's learnt a good lesson.

Connors is a great prospect
Fantastic on field attitude, excellent kick.
Hard at it, got some mongrel.

What more do we want?

Pick him and leave him there.

I'd rather be playing a dozen kids like Connors, than a dozen Howatts!

Tigers of Old said:
Leysy Days said:

Where is he continually giving away 50m or continually getting suspended TOO.
Maybe we should have a word in JON's ear as well then.

There's also nothing wrong with giving a free-kick or two away by giving a sly elbow or knee or slinging them late into the ground & making the player "earn" it.

If it makes the opposition look over their shoulder for the rest of the match, good on them.