Connors | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Connors

Re: Conners

tigertim said:
Tigers of Old said:
Leysy Days said:
I see nothing but positives from Dans actions.

Good to see there's no shortage of backslappers around here. ;D
I'm all for controlled aggression but how anyone can condone undisciplined behaviour in the modern game is beyond me.
I'm sure if he's continually giving away 50m penalties or getting suspended regularly by the club and the tribunal you'll all change you tune pretty quickly.
Sure the lad's only 18 and there's plenty of time for him to 'mature' but without knowing all the details it seems there's a pattern of behaviour that needs to be not quashed but harnessed.

I can't wait to see Dan play and I want to see the aggro but I don't want a liability who loses it through frustration etc.
Hopefully he can focus his aggression for the good of the team.
Good post ToO. Dan looks the goods but indiscriminate flinging of an elbow is nothing to be proud of and doesnt further anyones cause (his, Coburgs or Richmonds). As you say, hopefully at 18 he's learnt a good lesson.

On the field, Leysy certainly doesn't.

Leysy Days said:
There's also nothing wrong with giving a free-kick or two away by giving a sly elbow or knee or slinging them late into the ground & making the player "earn" it.

If it makes the opposition look over their shoulder for the rest of the match, good on them.

Leysy, you are spot on.
I cannot believe how clever you are

Michael said:
Leysy Days said:
There's also nothing wrong with giving a free-kick or two away by giving a sly elbow or knee or slinging them late into the ground & making the player "earn" it.

If it makes the opposition look over their shoulder for the rest of the match, good on them.

Leysy, you are spot on.
I cannot believe how clever you are

He knows Michael, he knows.

Watched the Coburg game last night.Sh!t what a cow paddock ;D Connor's is gunna be a beauty.How fast was that elbow he threw?

More 'Connors' less 'Howats' and all will be well.

evo said:
More 'Connors' less 'Howats' and all will be well.

Another very clever comment
The brains floating around this place astound me at times

Leysy Days said:
Tigers of Old said:
Leysy Days said:

I'm all for controlled aggression but how anyone can condone undisciplined behaviour in the modern game is beyond me.
I'm sure if he's continually giving away 50m penalties or getting suspended regularly by the club and the tribunal you'll all change you tune pretty quickly.
Sure the lad's only 18 and there's plenty of time for him to 'mature' but without knowing all the details it seems there's a pattern of behaviour that needs to be not quashed but harnessed.

I can't wait to see Dan play and I want to see the aggro but I don't want a liability who loses it through frustration etc.

Where is he continually giving away 50m or continually getting suspended TOO.
Maybe we should have a word in JON's ear as well then.

But Leysy, what happens the next match when the player flinging the elbow has been rubbed out? Get someone else to fling another elbow? What about the week after? and the week after?

tigertim said:
Leysy Days said:
Tigers of Old said:
Leysy Days said:

Where is he continually giving away 50m or continually getting suspended TOO.
Maybe we should have a word in JON's ear as well then.

But Leysy, what happens the next match when the player flinging the elbow has been rubbed out? Get someone else to fling another elbow? What about the week after? and the week after?

Tim Brooke-Taylor,

Notice I also said sly.
The good exponents know when to niggle, pinch, grab & get under opponents skin without getting done.
If we can hurt opponents & get them looking over there shoulder by arriving late at packs, rubbing opponents heads in the turf, starting altercations & being overtly physical at the ball etc then leysys all for it.

This is the aggression & nastiness we have lacked so often in our players for however many years & if it means getting a week or two here & there well, then so be it.

Leysys sick of watching our kids & getting intimdated whilst our soft experienced nancy boys stand around with their frilly pink dresses on ready to got to the ballet.

At last we have a player that looks like possesses a mean streak.
Lets embrace him & any other lads lads that have it.

Oh, & get more of em'. ;)

Leysy Days said:

He's our second. King is already doing all that for us in the Seniors, but he can't do it alone. He needs help.

Baloo said:
Leysy Days said:

He's our second. King is already doing all that for us in the Seniors, but he can't do it alone. He needs help.

Exactly.

& isn't it farcical that a rookie in his 1st season is the ONE player that has this mindset.

Players like Bowden x 2, Tivendale, Pettifer, Gaspar, Johnson etc should look at him in disgust at themselves at the fight this lad shows on the field.

Leysy, I agree in terms of controlled aggression, no doubt about that. What I don't agree with is just indiscriminate elbows/fists/etc that get a player rubbed out. ps always love the 3rd person reference!

Tigers of Old said:
Speculation is he's been told he won't play for the seniors this year.
Shame if true.

Yeah was threatened with that, but I dont think they followed through and implemented it. Must've pulled him into line.

Leysy Days said:
Notice I also said sly.
The good exponents know when to niggle, pinch, grab & get under opponents skin without getting done.
If we can hurt opponents & get them looking over there shoulder by arriving late at packs, rubbing opponents heads in the turf, starting altercations & being overtly physical at the ball etc then leysys all for it.

Controlled aggression in other words.

No argument with that.

But with Connors, people have to accept that his aggression is going to overstep that mark from time to time.

When this happens, supporters that otherwise want his type are now jumping up and down telling him to pull his head in & the club should pull him into line etc.

You cant have it both ways.

Exactly TOOheys Old, it's not.

Leys'd ave' thought by somes reactions he shot Bambi.

From what I can see it was only a couple of posters who had a crack at him for his behavior on the park.

Hopefully if he's as tough as some think he is, young Dan's got the balls to be able to withstand a little criticism of his actions.

As I have said before it's more the commitment to becoming the best that he can that I'd be more concerned about at this stage based on the speculation.

He sounds like a beaut prospect so hopefully it all comes to fruition.

He is a steal so late.

I still think that if injuries don't hold back all the kids we picked in the 2006 draft, the group will have a better then average shot of making the grade.

The Francis Jackson era of player selection bodes well.