Dayle Garlett | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dayle Garlett

Realistically, Hawthorn was one of the few clubs in a position to take a chance on him.

I don't think they erred, the talent was there, it just doesn't look like it will work out.

Streak said:
Realistically, Hawthorn was one of the few clubs in a position to take a chance on him.

I don't think they erred, the talent was there, it just doesn't look like it will work out.
There was a fair push by some to grab him, funny how alleged 'runs on the board' gives a club a pass. We'd be slammed for lack of due diligence if we went for Garlett.

Yeah, I was a big proponent of getting him, seems I may have been wrong. But who knows, maybe things might have been different at RFC?

tigertim said:
Yeah, I was a big proponent of getting him, seems I may have been wrong. But who knows, maybe things might have been different at RFC?

Yep, it would have been more proof that we can't handle indigenous kids and that we don't have the professionalism to deal with difficult kids, like say The Hawks can.

tigertim said:
But who knows, maybe things might have been different at RFC?

Different in that he would have been out the door two weeks after we drafted him.

Really would have liked to have seen what Troy Taylor would have turned out like after several pre seasons and some development, reckon he had the tools to have a big impact and I'm still disappointed that one didn't work out.

spook said:
Stephen Oliver?

pretty sure he played U/age state cricket for Vic as well. One of those freaks.

On garlett. Going by Hodges assessment, all those who said 'dont touch with a barge pole' (not me, i wouldve rookied him 2012) can almost claim correctness.

tigertim said:

Chocco may have made a difference with this kid. Maybe.

sad really. after being overlooked in all drafts in 2012 he did and said all the right things last year. The passion and determination was there yet, as with a growing list of indigenous players the AFL requirements, moving to Melbourne will prevent this talent showing his skill at the highest level.

Im not sure what can be done here, maybe change the age to drafting indigenous players to 21/22??? allowing them a few more years to mature into men? Zone?? in the way you can only play in the state your from??

Maybe the AFL can allow an Indigenous draft, for the first 2 years these players are outside the salary cap allowing teams to take more "risks" and get these very talented kids into the system??

No real silver bullet here...

From what I hear from people who would know is, he is fine at training. His performances on the track have been very good for a first year player. Some of the things he has done in match practice has been breath taking. Staggeringly good.

But, the problems start with his downtime. He has no network here, is nervous around the city and when he gets on his own, he wants to go home. The Haws are trying to get him enrolled in some courses and help him build a career outside of football. More problems there because he doesn't have the life skills or know how of how to be a adult (i.e paying bills, washing, ironing) & on top of all that he hasn't had the best education.

The Hawks still think he will be a long term player and are in the fortunate position of being able to carry him with such a strong list. If his name was Mitch Robinson, there wouldn't be the focus that there is. These are common problems that Aboriginal lads have in Melbourne. There is certainly no panic around him or his behaviour. It's quite the other way, the Hawks are impressed at how upfront and open he is being.

SCOOP said:
From what I hear from people who would know is, he is fine at training. His performances on the track have been very good for a first year player. Some of the things he has done in match practice has been breath taking. Staggeringly good.

But, the problems start with his downtime. He has no network here, is nervous around the city and when he gets on his own, he wants to go home. The Haws are trying to get him enrolled in some courses and help him build a career outside of football. More problems there because he doesn't have the life skills or know how of how to be a adult (i.e paying bills, washing, ironing) & on top of all that he hasn't had the best education.

The Hawks still think he will be a long term player and are in the fortunate position of being able to carry him with such a strong list. If his name was Mitch Robinson, there wouldn't be the focus that there is. These are common problems that Aboriginal lads have in Melbourne. There is certainly no panic around him or his behaviour. It's quite the other way, the Hawks are impressed at how upfront and open he is being.
If this is true then surely playing footy would only be assisting him? Why take away the one thing he can do well/enjoys?

tigerlandishome said:
They are also gonna get burned big time.
I tried to warn people. My knowledge of Dayle's issues come direct from knowing family. I have a lot of contact with members of his family. This situation with him coming back here to Perth was always going to happen.

SCOOP said:

Almost thought you were talking about early Dusty there Scooper. It's a massive transition for most kids to make from talented junior to AFL player, if a kid also has to come from a broken or disadvantaged background with totally new surroundings thrown in as well the situation can become nearly impossible.
Good luck to the Hawks, if they can grow Dayle through his issues ( always the most difficult part ) n he becomes a player they'll have done well.

TigerMasochist said:
Almost thought you were talking about early Dusty there Scooper. It's a massive transition for most kids to make from talented junior to AFL player, if a kid also has to come from a broken or disadvantaged background with totally new surroundings thrown in as well the situation can become nearly impossible.
Good luck to the Hawks, if they can grow Dayle through his issues ( always the most difficult part ) n he becomes a player they'll have done well.

The bloke who told me actually used Dusty's name. It's not that different. I'll give you something for nothing, Brendan Whitecross was terribly homesick when he came down from Queensland. Really bad. The Hawks had to make sure he was having dinner with a family most nights early to make sure he felt comfortable. He went home several times on unscheduled visits to Brisbane to help him. Ship him off Monday, come back Thursday. It's not different at all. Nick Stevens struggled at Port the first six months before the footy started. Garlett is no certainly to make it but the problems he is going through are not different to any bloke who relocates states.

TigerForce said:
Any assistance from Cyril when it comes to mentoring?
There's another who had massive problems transitioning into life in the big smoke away from home n family. Cyril and a cousin both came down and attended boarding school while developing as junior players, his cuz wound up going back home but family put a heap of work into keeping Cyril here. Longy often put time into keeping Cyril in Melb for his own good.

TigerMasochist said:
There's another who had massive problems transitioning into life in the big smoke away from home n family. Cyril and a cousin both came down and attended boarding school while developing as junior players, his cuz wound up going back home but family put a heap of work into keeping Cyril here. Longy often put time into keeping Cyril in Melb for his own good.

Now that he's settled after 5 years in Melbourne, he'd make a perfect and realistic mentor for Garlett to learn from.

Tiger Pops said:
Maybe the AFL can allow an Indigenous draft, for the first 2 years these players are outside the salary cap allowing teams to take more "risks" and get these very talented kids into the system??

No real silver bullet here...

I reckon thats a helluva great idea POPS. reduce the risk to clubs and get more indigenous players in the system, cause the upside, from player/club/fan point of veiw is huge.

Weve got veterans and rookie lists. I reckon, in an AFL context, an indigenous list, with appropriate allowances for difference, is a top idea.

you should email it to demetricon Benny

TigerMasochist said:

Not untrue, but I'd be surprised if Cyrils settling in was any tougher than a lot of players, black and white. Cyril's family is solid, he had Maurice and Long as close role models, solid Mum and aunts. Don't know what DG's situation is family-wise.

tigersnake said:
Not untrue, but I'd be surprised if Cyrils settling in was any tougher than a lot of players, black and white. Cyril's family is solid, he had Maurice and Long as close role models, solid Mum and aunts. Don't know what DG's situation is family-wise.

plus, as TM said, Cyril had a footy scholarship at Scotch. Footy prep school. pretty fair induction into white fella life in the big smoke.