Dayle Garlett | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dayle Garlett

tigergollywog said:
plus, as TM said, Cyril had a footy scholarship at Scotch. Footy prep school. pretty fair induction into white fella life in the big smoke.

Jay Kennedy-Harris is another who had a stable upbringing, all these things are critical in determining a player's adaptability. As for Garlett, I think Hawthorn were well & truly vindicated to take the punt but in the end you win some & lose some.

bullus_hit said:
Jay Kennedy-Harris is another who had a stable upbringing, all these things are critical in determining a player's adaptability. As for Garlett, I think Hawthorn were well & truly vindicated to take the punt but in the end you win some & lose some.

Interesting. JKH looks the goods. I'd suggest theres a problem with our game rather than blackfellas upbringing (not denying there are endemic problems with some black fellas upbringings). Thats why I like POPS suggestion

POINT A everybody loves watching an indigenous bloke going about their business on a footy field
POINT B even though they are over represented on AFL lists, anecdotally, indigenous (remote) blokes struggle in the big smoke (id like to see some multivariant numbers comparing rural/urban and black/white in terms of recruited/play 100 games ratios. I know L2R2R is good, but could he provide us with those numbers???)
POINT C The AFL could make systemic change to alleviate B and promote A.

bullus_hit said:

furthermore, I dont want to get all semantic on you Bully, but wouldnt 50-100 games provide vindication? How are the Hawks vindicated?

Who was the ex-RFC player who then went to the Hawks but still couldn't get his head straight ? Or is it because we had him first that the Hawks could wave their magic wand ?

Streak said:
Realistically, Hawthorn was one of the few clubs in a position to take a chance on him.

I don't think they erred, the talent was there, it just doesn't look like it will work out.

Not sure from the earlier posts if my comment here is being misconstrued or not.

To clarify, I believe Hawthorn were in the position to take a chance on him because of the quality of their team and the depth of their list. Nothing more.

They could afford to spend a relatively high pick on him. I am sure that other clubs would have given him a chance later in the draft, but Hawthorn had the luxury of being able to use a second round pick on a speculative proposition.

Baloo said:
Who was the ex-RFC player who then went to the Hawks but still couldn't get his head straight ? Or is it because we had him first that the Hawks could wave their magic wand ?

Indigenous? carl peterson. Looked a million bucks for a fortnight. It seems clear to me hawks have something that brings best out of black fellas that maybe we could learn from. Ironic, given they were the last AFL club to list a black fella (i believe).

tigergollywog said:
furthermore, I dont want to get all semantic on you Bully, but wouldnt 50-100 games provide vindication? How are the Hawks vindicated?

Probably a poor choice of words but they were always in the best position to get the best out of a troubled soul. They also hedged their bets by picking another line breaker in Hartung, so the Garlett selection was never going to be a make or break scenario. I guess it's similar to our Troy Taylor pick, I've never castigated the club for picking him because his talent was undeniable. Sometimes it can come off and sometimes it can end in tears. At this stage Garlett's career is hanging by a thread but it aint over until the fat lady sings.

bullus_hit said:
Probably a poor choice of words but they were always in the best position to get the best out of a troubled soul. They also hedged their bets by picking another line breaker in Hartung, so the Garlett selection was never going to be a make or break scenario. I guess it's similar to our Troy Taylor pick, I've never castigated the club for picking him because his talent was undeniable. Sometimes it can come off and sometimes it can end in tears. At this stage Garlett's career is hanging by a thread but it aint over until the fat lady sings.

fair enough too.

Garlett has officially quit , homesickness and demands of afl
Reasons for it. I was one of afew who wanted him badly at richmond obviosly in hindsight
Im gladd we didnt hate seeing talent wasted .

Must be a full on gig and a huge decision for a 19YO to pass up $70K etc. Hope the kid enjoys his footy and makes a living in WAFL

Shows once again how overwhelming the requirements of AFL can be. Kids had a crack n found the regime beyond him, hope he enjoys himself living a more normal lifestyle back with friends n family.
He's not the first n definitely won't be the last to get chewed up n spat out by the relentless grind of AFL. With the amount of more mature age players filtering back into the system nowadays, who knows he might even have another look as an older player in a few years.

tigertim said:
Yep, dont think this will be the last we see of him on an AFL list.

I don't know, he would have to do something exceptional in the state leagues to be even considered. As far as maturity is concerned, we're probably talking 5 years of growing up, past his used by date in the eyes of many recruiters.

bullus_hit said:
I don't know, he would have to do something exceptional in the state leagues to be even considered. As far as maturity is concerned, we're probably talking 5 years of growing up, past his used by date in the eyes of many recruiters.
as he's only 20 I could well see him in 2, 3, 4, 5 heck even 6 or 7 years down the track getting another chance. Obviously he'd have to have good state league form and assuming he gets married and settles down with his own family he may be more comfortable, especially if WE or Freo picked him and he stays in Perth. Who knows.

bullus_hit said:
Agree. He has burnt the Hawks who now go through the year a player down on their list. Had 'buyer beware' written on him previous and despite apparent immense talent even local clubs would be extremely wary.

I don't blame Gartlett for having a go or giving it away, but 'he'll be back' seems nonsensical right now.