FYI 2019 Grand Final - RFC Priority Groups/AFL Grand Final Ticketing | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

FYI 2019 Grand Final - RFC Priority Groups/AFL Grand Final Ticketing

Maybe they don't want to deter new members starting out. Bit of a downer if you go to every game and can't see the most important one. However I think the system in place now rewards the most loyal members (in theory). It's not something we've had to worry about for a long time.

These were the numbers in early 2015.

hvRxKSS.jpg

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/finals/finals-faq

based on that, you would think gold isn't any more than about 20,000 in 2019.

My confirmation email had been flagged as spam by bigpond - I had to go into their webmail and found it in junk. It was instantly sent. There actually is not a junk mail option on my iPhone for this account which is why I had to go onto webmail.
Same with me Bigpond...........

Reactions: 1 user
The Grand Final is a joke. Everyday supporters suffer whilst the greed of the AFL cater for corporates, supposed VIP's and non participating clubs. We all know this needs to change. Unfortunately not everyone will get a ticket. I've been paying for the guarantee since it was a 'cash non refundable payment'.

It pi$$ed me off in 2017 when a huge volume of people were offered Maurice Rioli memberships via text after the St Kilda thumping in Round 16. We were I think on 36 points and in a battle with Port, Melb and St Kilda all on the same points to stay there abouts.

Several of my family members were overlooked who were supposedly on 'waiting lists'. The club did later apologise for the oversight as they simply wanted to sell the remaining membership types for the 17 season with the hope that these new members would roll it over in 2018. I don't even think after that game the club believed what would eventuate.

I love the fact we have over 100K members, I love the fact for the past 3 years we have a post on here about registering for a GF ticket, don't get me wrong its *smile* fantastic. But so many RFC and opponent members miss out because every year because of the AFL allocation schedule which then the clubs have to adjust their priorities.

2017 - There was P1 Guaranteed, P2 was Platinum and Gold, P3 was Silver
2018-2019 - The platinum was split into its own category and silver removed.

This happened because Platinum members missed out over Gold in the ballot, which has now been corrected based on consecutive years of membership.

As someone said, Prelim is for the fans. Hopefully all tiger fans with a barcode get online and buy up, if the RFC area is exhausted, then buy tickets in the opposition area like we did against Geelong in 2017. Lets get a 70/30 split and drown them the hell out.

I hope everyone can enjoy the next few weeks regardless of any ticketing outcomes. Support them from home, at work or many of the finals events RFC will organise should we make the GF.

Let's roar together from wherever we are.

Reactions: 5 users
I registered for priority 3 tonight, but have little to no hope of scoring a ticket.
More frustrating is the fact that I’m only one year off being a Platinum member!!

Do we have any say over what category seat we get? I might need all year to pay it off
Given they have an option to NOT accept a standing room ticket shows they have the technical capacity to allow other ways to indicate preference. Eg you could say I will take cAt 3 seat or worse. Or I prefer cAt 3 but if they aren't available I want Cat 1 or 2 in preference to 4 or lower.
As I imagine most would say any category I don't think it would lead to any problems.
What is also unknown is how the seats are allocated. First out of the "barrel" get best Cat 1 seat and so on. Or some other AFL mandated corrupt process?

Reactions: 1 users
I don’t understand the clubs reluctance to share these figures. Lack of transparency is never good.. it always raises the issue of what are the hiding.
The club controls what categories of membership fall into tier 1 and how many people are in each of thos groups. Except for the couple of hundred 50 year plus Yellow and Black members all other categories are purely financially driven. quite simply if you have the moolah RFC will guarantee you a GF seat. That is a fact, whether it's the best way to go or not is the debate.

Given the club knows how many years you have been a member there is no need for categories. You register and the computer just starts with the 95 year old 70 year member and works it way down through the years of membership until all are gone.

The club controls what categories of membership fall into tier 1 and how many people are in each of thos groups. Except for the couple of hundred 50 year plus Yellow and Black members all other categories are purely financially driven. quite simply if you have the moolah RFC will guarantee you a GF seat. That is a fact, whether it's the best way to go or not is the debate.

I appreciate that you can pay premium price to guarantee a grand final ticket.

If I am platinum member what chance do i get in the ballot? is is 1 in 5, 1 in 10? similarly for gold members. That information would assist me in determining whether or not to upscale to a premium membership or not. The less chance I have in the platinum or gold ballots, the more likely I would pay the premium.

Given the club knows how many years you have been a member there is no need for categories. You register and the computer just starts with the 95 year old 70 year member and works it way down through the years of membership until all are gone.

yep, IMO, the top 3 prerequisites for earning a GF ticket should be:

1. years of membership.
2. amount of games you have attended that specific season (i know overseas and interstate members will disagree with this, but there has to be a bigger reward for attending games).
3. level of membership

i hear stories all the time about the top tier "legends" membership at Collingwood. many of these members don't bother turning up to games leaving their seats empty all year. but they all turn up this time of the year. Collingwood is certainly not the "working class club" anymore under Eddie's regime.

I appreciate that you can pay premium price to guarantee a grand final ticket.

If I am platinum member what chance do i get in the ballot? is is 1 in 5, 1 in 10? similarly for gold members. That information would assist me in determining whether or not to upscale to a premium membership or not. The less chance I have in the platinum or gold ballots, the more likely I would pay the premium.

I would say platinum members will definitely get a ticket. I move to platinum myself next year, but will remain in the MRC as my mate is still gold.

Reactions: 1 user
Looking at collingwood's ballot result last year. there were approx 6,000 successful ballot applications and only about 80 unsuccessful!

Similar result for 2016 sydney applicants:

in 2017 Richmond had 67 pages of successful applicants but 47 pages of unsuccessful. So only 58% of orders were successful.

Last edited:
Yeah I don’t know how to interpret those ICE

Promising that only 80 odd missed out but then I would have thought more than 6500 members would get a ticket unless they didn’t include those with a guaranteed ticket on that list.

Do the pies give more of their allocation to corporates perhaps.

Looking at collingwood's ballot result last year. there were approx 6,000 successful ballot applications and only about 80 unsuccessful!

when you say "6,000 ballot applications," you're basically saying priority 2 and 3 combined? because priority 1 are guaranteed and technically not in a random ballot, correct? which would suggest Collingwood had 11,000 priority 1 members in 2018. this doesn't mean Richmond have the same amount of course, but it would be around the ballpark.

Yeah I don’t know how to interpret those ICE

Promising that only 80 odd missed out but then I would have thought more than 6500 members would get a ticket unless they didn’t include those with a guaranteed ticket on that list.

Do the pies give more of their allocation to corporates perhaps.

I reckon guranteed ticket holders are not part of the successful/unsuccessful ballot lists. I agree it seems like a low number to enter the ballot...

I have re-read and it appears there were 6,500 successful orders (up to 8 members in each order). Still encouraging that only 80 orders were unsuccessful.

West Coast had many more unsuccessful (about 20% unsuccessful)

It seems a reserved seat for West Coast does not come with a guarantee GF ticket, so they may have much less GF guarantee ticket allocation, therefore a higher proportion of their members have to enter the ballot.

Last edited:
yep, IMO, the top 3 prerequisites for earning a GF ticket should be:

2. amount of games you have attended that specific season (i know overseas and interstate members will disagree with this, but there has to be a bigger reward for attending games).
Yep, you are right we will disagree. You get a benefit of having a membership and cost the club for doing so. That is your reward.
Interstate and OS members are actually paying the club for nothing in return.
Accordingly you can argue that they are more deserving of a ticket. The two games I attended in Melbourne this year, 1 I paid for and the other I used our memberships but paid to upgrade.

2019 Toyota AFL Grand Final Prices

AdultConcession
Category 1$422.00$359.00
Category 2$412.00$350.00
Category 3$381.00$324.00
Category 4$350.00$298.00
Category 5$309.00$263.00
Category 6$258.00$219.00
Category 7$185.00$157.00
Restricted View/Standing$155.00$132.00

2019 Toyota AFL Grand Final Prices

AdultConcession
Category 1$422.00$359.00
Category 2$412.00$350.00
Category 3$381.00$324.00
Category 4$350.00$298.00
Category 5$309.00$263.00
Category 6$258.00$219.00
Category 7$185.00$157.00
Restricted View/Standing$155.00$132.00

ouch. Add in the cost of last minute flights for 3 to get back to Australia for the match and I think I need to take out a second mortgage. Might be the first time I hope I don't get allocated Cat 1 tickets.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users