Game Day - Geelong V Richmond | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day - Geelong V Richmond

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
Here is a neutral opinion with a little humour - by Titus O'Reily
Geelong (89) v Richmond (86)

What a classic game! We had Tom Stewart purposely taking out Dion Prestia and then taking a crucial mark to secure the game.

It’s a feel-good story we can all get behind.

There was a lot of talk out of Geelong about how Stewart had ‘owned up to his error’ and that it was ‘poor execution’.

Error? It didn’t look like an error.

Poor execution? I would say he executed it perfectly. If you wanted to take out one of the opposition’s key players, that’s exactly how you’d do it.

And owning up to it? What else was he going to do? There were 60,000 witnesses, and it was caught on camera.

It was one of the most blatant, open-and-shut cases I’ve seen in ages.

There’s been talk of bringing in red cards in response to the incident, but I can’t support that.

I’ve said it before on the issue of red cards; the only card an AFL player should ever be shown is a drink card.

The main reason I oppose it, is that the AFL won’t stop at a red card.

They’d soon have a yellow card, then a blue card and a purple card.

Plus, would you want to give Razor Ray the ability to send one of your players off? Never.

Aside from the unpleasantness, this was a cracking game with huge momentum shifts which came right down to the wire.

In the end, I thought the difference was the Tigers were probably a midfielder short when it counted, and obviously Geelong’s win has a massive asterisk next to it which you should bring up with Cats fans all week.

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I hope the red card issue is brought up yet again later in the season, when Gill has to read out 3 votes T Stewart, making everyone feel uncomfortable knowing that he took out a player during the game, and he will certainly get the 3 votes as he was the Best (but certainly not the fairest) on the ground.

Reactions: 1 user

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
I hope the red card issue is brought up yet again later in the season, when Gill has to read out 3 votes T Stewart, making everyone feel uncomfortable knowing that he took out a player during the game, and he will certainly get the 3 votes as he was the Best (but certainly not the fairest) on the ground.
They gave Buddy the BOG medal V us after he'd hit Cotchy in the head off the ball. Nobody batted an eyelid, except a few thousand parents of junior players.

Reactions: 3 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
In the end, I thought the difference was the Tigers were probably a midfielder short when it counted, and obviously Geelong’s win has a massive asterisk next to it which you should bring up with Cats fans all week.
Nicely done. Thats the bottom line, Dion plays the whole game we win.

Reactions: 1 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
ok - so to the game itself.

we fell into geelongs trap early by playing slow. We tried to maintain possession and didn't play on and link up by hand anywhere near enough. Geelong will dissect you if you allow the game to be played like that.

We made a few positional changes in the second half but more importantly raised the tempo. Geelongs achilles heal is fast high pressure football. We lifted and geelong had no answer to our run.

We lost the game in the last quarter by trying to be too cute with some of our delivery from our back half. Clarke, Rioli, Jack and I think Short made some crucial mistakes. Some poor decisions were made - we should have gone long to lock the ball in our fwd line late in the game.

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
I’ve got a few take aways from the Saturday and Sunday games V Cats

They are assembling younger guys and plenty of them look ok, Dangerfield & Selwood are old news at Geelong now

They are moving the ball faster at times and it did hurt us , but come the second half did we pressure them out of that or did they regress to their old style of chip chip chip

I’d say a bit of both , but know your enemy and if we strike them in the finals theres a good chance they might hold that new style for longer , so we have to be ready for it !!!

Both sides have promising looking younger guys in the VFL , now we know they won’t all make it but I’d say both clubs will get enough talent out of their VFL sides to keep them around the top 8 for years to come

At the AFL level we are building to 2019/2020 look & feel

Dusty is lurking dangerously , can see him striking form at the right time , he looks fit and well, just needs a block of 4 or 5 games

We need to find a away to give Bakers body a rest ahead of finals , a fresh Baker will be a weapon

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

we fell into geelongs trap early by playing slow. We tried to maintain possession and didn't play on and link up by hand anywhere near enough. Geelong will dissect you if you allow the game to be played like that.

We made a few positional changes in the second half but more importantly raised the tempo. Geelongs achilles heal is fast high pressure football. We lifted and geelong had no answer to our run.

We lost the game in the last quarter by trying to be too cute with some of our delivery from our back half. Clarke, Rioli, Jack and I think Short made some crucial mistakes. Some poor decisions were made - we should have gone long to lock the ball in our fwd line late in the game.
Short has to wake up at times because he makes stupid decisions especially with those hang time bombs. In the last minute, he could've simply grabbed the ball and lobbed it with a handpass to 3 loose players to kick the sealer but instead he just kicked it from the air straight to the thug.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I look forward to playing them again, hopefully none of our players get knocked out in the next clash.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I look forward to playing them again, hopefully none of our players get knocked out in the next clash.
Maybe reading between the lines on when Dimma said that meant we will do it to them. I hope so, because we owe them one.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

I thought when we were behind with about 5 minutes to go, we seemed to panic a bit, as if there was 30 seconds left. We had 5 mins but were rushing our disposals. You take the Lynch handball from the Shane Warne stand wing over the top that was cut off. He'd just taken a mark out of our defence and could have taken his time to make the right decision but rushed it and it was turned over. Jack did similar, give the easy handball to MRJ on the members wing boundary but decided to take on the tackler and was caught HTB and therefore turned it over.
Was it Rioli going into our F50 who bombed the ball in long when we had a player loose in the pocket (directly in front of him - might have been Shai).

A lot of rushed disposals that with a bit more patience we might have killed that game. I'd expect the coaches to be reviewing this with the boys this week, we were our own worst enemies in that last quarter. I'm not sure how many inside 50's we had (a fair few, probably matched the Cats) but we scored poorly from them.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I thought when we were behind with about 5 minutes to go, we seemed to panic a bit, as if there was 30 seconds left. We had 5 mins but were rushing our disposals. You take the Lynch handball from the Shane Warne stand wing over the top that was cut off. He'd just taken a mark out of our defence and could have taken his time to make the right decision but rushed it and it was turned over. Jack did similar, give the easy handball to MRJ on the members wing boundary but decided to take on the tackler and was caught HTB and therefore turned it over.
Was it Rioli going into our F50 who bombed the ball in long when we had a player loose in the pocket (directly in front of him - might have been Shai).

A lot of rushed disposals that with a bit more patience we might have killed that game. I'd expect the coaches to be reviewing this with the boys this week, we were our own worst enemies in that last quarter. I'm not sure how many inside 50's we had (a fair few, probably matched the Cats) but we scored poorly from them.
If Rio had more run in his legs he would've caught and tackled Stengle to prevent that bomb he kicked to their goalsquare.

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
Reiwoldt only rucked before Soldo was subbed on.
Thanks joelbowden03.

Yes you are right.
Looks like the Asahis and Mountain goats were speaking after all.

I think I had a flashback to the Carlscum game when Jackmond was rucking in last quarter. (and they almost won)

The ruck set up is a huge problem for us.
Nankenstein has been great but when he spells our second ruck has been getting smashed.
Sides just walk it out.
Ivan's cousin Ivan is a shadow of former self post Porkins cheating shove.
Just can't cover the ground the big lug.
Big problem at the moment.

As others have stated I think Marlyspoon is a better option than Jack.
Especially if he gets the glazed eye look going.

What did Pagan say: You don't use a Ferrari to plough a field! (or something similar).

Jack = Forward Line Roaming only.

Reactions: 4 users

Mycotchinrules

That's just like, your opinion, man
Mar 17, 2014

Spot on Harry.

When we got on the outside and ran, we absolutely torched them. They had no answer.

Rioli killed us with errors in the last, but not his fault. He was cooked. Mainly because we were a rotation down without Dion and Soldo was a headscratcher as sub.

I stand by it though, 3 impartial possibly more experienced and less corrupt umpires and we win that comfortably.

Reactions: 2 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne

What a classic game! We had Tom Stewart purposely taking out Dion Prestia and then taking a crucial mark to secure the game.

There was a lot of talk out of Geelong about how Stewart had ‘owned up to his error’ and that it was ‘poor execution’.

Poor execution? I would say he executed it perfectly. If you wanted to take out one of the opposition’s key players, that’s exactly how you’d do it.

And owning up to it? What else was he going to do? There were 60,000 witnesses, and it was caught on camera.

There’s been talk of bringing in red cards in response to the incident, but I can’t support that.

I’ve said it before on the issue of red cards; the only card an AFL player should ever be shown is a drink card.

Plus, would you want to give Razor Ray the ability to send one of your players off? Never.

Aside from the unpleasantness, this was a cracking game with huge momentum shifts which came right down to the wire.

Career-best from Titus.

Reactions: 4 users

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003

Excellent post, Mole!

I think Titus however doesn't know Richmond supporters too well.
The last line he says "Cats fans all week" should be changed to "Cats fans for decades".

Tiger fans ain't that forgiving, Titus.
Unlike your Range rover driving, Hotham venturing, Tartan rug, Chardonnay quaffing set!

Reactions: 3 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Just noticed on AFL360 that Pricky's orgasm after the game wasn't just his first one but the second one. Was he banging on the side window or door (left of the TV, right of him) facing Dimma's box?