GAME DAY Tiges V Eagles | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

GAME DAY Tiges V Eagles

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Did anyone notice the graphic 7 put up in the closing part of the game., I couldn't absorb it given the tension on field but I think said if we score 84+ we have won every ? time in last 4? Seasons
Below that it's about 50 50?

( like a David King stat, that is only relevant if few or no other teams have such a demarcation as these days no coach is prepared to back their team to always prevail in a high scoring shoot out. RIP Tommy Hafey)

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
As I didn't get to watch the game, or follow it at all really... Can anyone enlighten me as to what went wrong? The only time I checked we were up by about four goals, and then...???

We played better for most of the match. We were 18 point up in the last quarter.

Then we just lost all composure 10 mins from the end, couldn't kick straight, couldn't mark a ball, couldn't think when we had the ball. WCE marked everything, we're deadly accurate in front of goal.

We threw the game away. WCE were good enough to take advantage of our melt down.

Edit: Correction, 18 points, not goals

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

14tempany

Tiger Rookie
Apr 12, 2009
I am not so negative about this game as a lot on here
For the first time this year I could see Richmond way traits - not all the time and not executed fantastically each time but they were there
I just love seeing how we pinball it around the ground up and back Superior fitness is needed to play it and to counter it
Maybe we just are not there yet with our fitness to play it all day or maybe WCE are fitter at the moment so could replicate it and then outlast it
I dont think too many teams could
Richmond always has trouble with mark kick forwards no matter their age and athletic ability ie see Hawkins, Kennedy, Dixon and McDonald and Brown
I was not surprised that Kennedy got off the leash but I was super happy that Darling and Ryan were controlled
I think the rule changes have helped mark kick forwards and I am not sure what we can do to counter that
If a team has only one then I think our team defence still works to shut off other avenues but if they have 2 or more we struggle
It is also why i am so bemused Lynch who i see as mark kick full forward cant do what Kennedy does. I am not sure if it is the delivery to him - I think this is where we can improve. And if we have 2 such players ie lynch and CCJ it would really trouble other teams like it does us

I think this game was high quality despite some of our poor kicking
Simpson agrees - he still feels Richmond is the team to beat and that there were lots of richmond things going on last night

RE the golden oldies - i think the club should caress them to finals - maybe have rests in next rounds Get them up for finals and the retire them gracefully

We cant do anything re the bultish free kickes
We could however not give away pointless 50s at critical times - it does my head in

Also why CCJ was not paid for 2 marks that were marks any day of the week was extremely unfair and it may make him second guess himself a bit after that happens

So all in all i dont think a disaster and how % was preserved

If we cant make top 4 so be it

I think we can do damage from anywhere but dont want to have to travel each final

Reactions: 4 users

Berwick boy

Tiger Superstar
Apr 27, 2004
We played better for most of the match. We were 18 goals up in the last quarter.

Then we just lost all composure 10 mins from the end, couldn't kick straight, couldn't mark a ball, couldn't think when we had the ball. WCE marked everything, we're deadly accurate in front of goal.

We threw the game away. WCE were good enough to take advantage of our melt down.
Farkkk Baloo...I wish we were 18 goals up !

• Haha

SpaceAce

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2007
The last time I was this devastated over a loss was the 2013 EF.
Still cannot reconcile how we gave up a 22 point lead in just 10 minutes!!
Shocking home town umpiring, our own brain fades, fatigue factor due to a total of 18 hours spent flying back and forth all likely contributed.

Anyway now it's a matter of aiming to finish 5th or 6th and playing a home final at the G.

Reactions: 3 users

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Leadership on the field seemed to be amiss in the last ten to fifteen minutes.
Where were the calm heads, the leaders to lead and have a positive influence over the team?
It was such an un-Richmond performance.
I'm at a loss to make sense of it or understand the reasons behind why it didn't happen.
The Tigers played sufficiently well enough during the course of the match (particularly the third quarter) to have me feeling very optimistic about the final result. I did tip them by eight points prior to the first bounce and I was sure the Eagles would have a crack at us in the final quarter. The Tigers are used to this stuff but they weren't able to execute ably enough to get the job done.
Shouldn't won. Should have gone into the bye on a high.
Time to dig deep over the next fortnight and have some honest and direct discussions and reviews about how the team is performing.
The Tigers are still my premiership favourites for this year. They're just gonna have to dig deep, very deep at times, and find a way to get the hunger, endeavour, enthusiasm and commitment rolling again.
With a pinch of luck, a change of fortunes and the desire to shape the rest of the season I believe this list can achieve the ultimate success.

Reactions: 1 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
No one see Cole BLOCKING Bolton just before Hurn marks the ball.
What the *smile* are the umpires doing?20210614_170359.jpg

• Angry
Reactions: 12 users

zgod

Tiger Legend
Feb 25, 2008
Reckon we were spent. Took our eye off the prize and started thinking about the break methinks.
Its slowly coming together.

Mantikorr

Tiger Superstar
Apr 26, 2006
Reckon we were spent. Took our eye off the prize and started thinking about the break methinks.
Its slowly coming together.
Yep, our game seems to be slowly getting there, going by the end of the game against the bombers and 3.5 quarters against the Eagles. We have players out of touch and some poor skill errors and decision making. That will clean up with more games into the stars. Need a few wins on the trot after the bye too get our confidence up

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
I think the thing that pissed me off , we played well enough to win , i know we had the late brain explosions , but the game shouldve been put to bed well before then ,

And I think it will come back to bite us latter with ladder position ,that was pissing me off as i went to bed and I had a shitty sleep ,

our other losses we were putrid , that one there were good signs we are building into some form , and we let it get away

Reactions: 4 users

Berwick boy

Tiger Superstar
Apr 27, 2004
No one see Cole BLOCKING Bolton just before Hurn marks the ball.
What the *smile* are the umpires doing?View attachment 12590
I think the thing that pissed me off , we played well enough to win , i know we had the late brain explosions , but the game shouldve been put to bed well before then ,

And I think it will come back to bite us latter with ladder position ,that was pissing me off as i went to bed and I had a shitty sleep ,

our other losses we were putrid , that one there were good signs we are building into some form , and we let it get away
This ^^^^^

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Playing Miller would have been a huge risk.
Well we have had the chance to try him out after good reviews from Clarke but if we don't want to risk him with Astbury out then Ben's cards are marked for leaving end of season so we will never know if he can make it at AFL level. Four odd years wasted

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
With everyone jerking about what a great game it was last night and how Optus Stadium is the greatest stadium ever built in the history of the world then there is nothing surer than us being scheduled another game there against the Eagles next year and every year after. That will go with our annual game against Port in Adelaide and now Brisbane are up in again we will play them at the Gabba every year.

Hocking already on the phone to Travis Auld.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
You can't look at last nights game in isolation. sent to Perth 2 weeks in a row stuffed us. Amazing effort to play as well as we did and almost pull it off. Striking Yeo back in the side also stuffed us, but that's footy. Unstoppable in the last quarter. they saw we were done and went in for the kill, Yeo in particular.

Geez that free against Pickett was hard to stomach, still snakey about it.

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I reckon the AFL jumped at the free hit covid provided them with to stick some lead in our saddlebags by sending us to perth 2 weeks in a row.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Yep, this was not a smashing, a bad loss but we got smacked by Geelong, Melbourne and South Melbourne - we only just lost this and we should have won. At times it looked like a Richmond game which we haven't done enough this year.

DS

Ice

Tiger Superstar
Jul 18, 2006
Josh J Kennedy (WCE)
Kane Lambert (RICH)
Shannon Hurn (WCE)
Nick Vlastuin (RICH)
Nic Naitanui (WCE)
Dustin Martin (RICH)

Coaches votes, good to see Nick V back to some good form