Is it time to panic? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Is it time to panic?

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Dimma is such a great, transparent coach. I get a lot out of his pressers even when he’s saying “nothing”.

We are the ultimate effort-based team. It’s either there or it isn’t. When it falls away, we make other teams look good because our best is more street rap than high poetry anyway.

There are reasons why we’re getting done the way we are every other week. Blokes are working into the season slowly and are feeling their way. Some guys are out of form. We’re playing some really raw kids - these guys aren’t the Markov kind of depth but liable to succumb to extreme pressure. The rule changes require us to work harder and longer. Lastly, we are being hunted like never before.

But - we know our best is good enough.

Our form of the past month actually passes the sanity test. Why blow a gasket against every challenger in April / May?

It just wouldn’t make any sense at all. Far better to hold the line, find out about a few players (Baker forward, Pickett in ruck, Mansell back) and try to break even before the bye.

From there, everyone knows we taper off the heavy fitness load and bring out the balls. We launch, playing our best 22 and slicing through the teams that have already blown their loads.

This has happened for the last four years. It is highly illogical to think the end is nigh based on our patchy form thus far.

We are fine, tracking as well as any team neck-deep in a dynasty run.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users

ILUVDISCO

Tiger Rookie
Oct 20, 2009
Hun article claims we are next to no chance of coming back n winning this years flag from a 4-4 start. Because only three teams have achieved it this century
( FFS. I kid you not ). Three teams in twenty years have achieved this remarkable feat yet we've got virtually no hope of doing it. Farkin meedjia imbeciles.
Two teams this century.......hopefully three

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Only 2 players arguably in top form and consistent. Bolton and Nankervis. We need more out put from a lot of players who have played only a couple of good games up to now. And Dusty needs to stop being too generous and kick the bloody goals himself instead of handing them off all the time!
Yep that one he handed to Aarts and burnt a near certain easy banana or snap for himself was costly we had them at that stage and wouldve been another dent to their confidence. Was an important wasted opportunity again which there is seeming to be too many this season.

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
Interesting observation, but have a good look.
Their four losses were by 2, 8, 10 and 4 points. Total 24. Maximum 10.
All four wins were by 10 goals or more - one by the ton.
They were 4-4 but their percentage was 145.8 and they won their next eight.
After having a good look I would still think there is no need to panic.The Hawks played 5 teams that did not make the eight,and a sixth that just got in.I think our draw has been much tougher than what the Hawks had,and yes they won their next eight games.I reckon we could as well.

mad_tiggy911

Tiger Legend
Mar 30, 2009
I'm worried but I'm normally a pessimistic person when it comes to footy.

Reactions: 1 user

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Not overly worried.

There hasn't been too many constants in our losses aside from getting absolutely destroyed in a quarter. All 4 of our losses have had that same trend, we have struggled to halt the momentum of the better teams so far.

Sydney - 2nd quarter - 8 goals for the swans
Port - 2nd quarter - scores don't show it but it was mainly domination
Melbourne - 2nd quarter - Only 4 goals but we couldn't score
Geelong - 3rd quarter - 8 goals for Geelong

It's occurred in some of our wins too but either our opponent hasn't been able to take advantage or we have outclassed them for the rest of the game

Carlton - 3rd quarter (particularly the first 15 mins of the quarter, they kept kicking behinds)

In the past we've been able to absorb these times when teams get on top with strong defence but those games we have been smashed in those quarters, the game has been so open. Some of this is probably not adapting to the new rules, but I'm sure having our best 22 out there would have made a difference.

Not concerned, but it makes next week a must win game. If we can somehow knock the Lions off in Round 10 then we will be set really well at 6-4 and we'll have switched back to the dynasty talk instead of the panic talk.

angle ankle

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 6, 2020
Dimma is such a great, transparent coach. I get a lot out of his pressers even when he’s saying “nothing”.

We are the ultimate effort-based team. It’s either there or it isn’t. When it falls away, we make other teams look good because our best is more street rap than high poetry anyway.

There are reasons why we’re getting done the way we are every other week. Blokes are working into the season slowly and are feeling their way. Some guys are out of form. We’re playing some really raw kids - these guys aren’t the Markov kind of depth but liable to succumb to extreme pressure. The rule changes require us to work harder and longer. Lastly, we are being hunted like never before.

But - we know our best is good enough.

Our form of the past month actually passes the sanity test. Why blow a gasket against every challenger in April / May?

It just wouldn’t make any sense at all. Far better to hold the line, find out about a few players (Baker forward, Pickett in ruck, Mansell back) and try to break even before the bye.

From there, everyone knows we taper off the heavy fitness load and bring out the balls. We launch, playing our best 22 and slicing through the teams that have already blown their loads.

This has happened for the last four years. It is highly illogical to think the end is nigh based on our patchy form thus far.

We are fine, tracking as well as any team neck-deep in a dynasty run.
.u don't think think there's a chance instead of being small nfast... whe're small n slow?

Tigers2020

Tiger Rookie
Nov 6, 2020
we only play 3 more top 8 teams in Geelong, Brisbane and west coast (all away) and we've already played 5 top 8 teams in 8 games. If we beat giants we go to 5-4 which is the same as what we were in 2017 and 2019

Reactions: 1 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
we only play 3 more top 8 teams in Geelong, Brisbane and west coast (all away) and we've already played 5 top 8 teams in 8 games. If we beat giants we go to 5-4 which is the same as what we were in 2017 and 2019
Understand that. Buts it’s the beatings that we are copping that has me worried.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
No. It’s definitely time to panic. Panicking is much more fun than staying calm.

1620553236314.jpeg

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Even if Dynasty is cancelled and we now have to watch re runs I’ll be content the rest of my life.

For the majority of my life we’ve been *smile* , after years of waiting for the paper to be delivered during trade week , just for a glimmer of hope or driving around the country to see the Cubs try out in the pre season , praying Tambling would be the next Franklin, all the panic and stress of been a Richmond supporter has loooooong gone out the window for me now, love the game day rituals as much as ever , however a loss has nowhere near the effect it once did for me , I feel blessed to have seen what we have, so for me gs1 footy has flipped on its head and panic is no longer part of it and what the last 4 years has produced simply can’t be replicated in anyway , not even close .

Reactions: 11 users

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Even if Dynasty is cancelled and we now have to watch re runs I’ll be content the rest of my life.

For the majority of my life we’ve been *smile* , after years of waiting for the paper to be delivered during trade week , just for a glimmer of hope or driving around the country to see the Cubs try out in the pre season , praying Tambling would be the next Franklin, all the panic and stress of been a Richmond supporter has loooooong gone out the window for me now, love the game day rituals as much as ever , however a loss has nowhere near the effect it once did for me , I feel blessed to have seen what we have, so for me gs1 footy has flipped on its head and panic is no longer part of it and what the last 4 years has produced simply can’t be replicated in anyway , not even close .
Well said Mr, Brightone. Even, if by chance we don't cut the mustard this year, we have to be thankful for 3 premierships and enjoy those heady days.
There are many clubs today who envy our efforts these past 4 years.
That is not to say we can't pull off the holy grail this year.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
On the other side of that coin, a Hawthorn supporting friend of mine was born on September 5, 1961.
18 days later, the Hawks won their first flag and have won 12 more in his 59 years.
I'm bettin he vividly remembers that win in 61 n was singin n dancin in his cot.