Jake Aarts | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jake Aarts

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
I was responding to a claim Aarts was the best "pressure" forward.
Fine. But “pressure acts” don’t define the whole role of a pressure forward.
You can chase or corral a player and that’s a pressure act point or 3. Castagna didn’t lay a single tackle. Arts laid 5.

Reactions: 1 users

Mantikorr

Tiger Superstar
Apr 26, 2006
Rioli was better than Aarts tonight. Comfortably.

Rioli and George 12 pressure acts each, Aarts 7. Last week Aarts 12, George 18.
What exactly constitutes a pressure act anyway?

I'd like to see the 'pressure act' stat removed and replaced with 'forced turnover'

Reactions: 1 user

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
When MRJ plays and Daniel is in the same side it is going to be a great moment in football history. Something very special and unique, hardly comparable to any other player.

On D Rioli, he is another one I wouldn't pass judgement on without watching live. I've no idea how he is playing from watching on TV. I've seen his role live and appreciate that his stats give no indication of how well he is playing, so until I watch a game in person I've no idea what he is doing.
The first game they play together will indeed be a milestone. But I only want RFC sides selected on performance (however the Coaches want to define that) not genetics.

Whether Dan is in or not simply having Maurice's son debut will be a highlight. Having cousins play in the same side is it that special or unique?

Are there any players you would pass a negative judgeMent on based on TV?

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Absolutely, there are plenty of roles that are contest based, or the stats can show you how effective they are. The tricky ones are the defensive role players because without seeing ehat they are doing, or knowing what they are supposed to be doing, it is very hard to measure.

For example, when I watch Rioli live I can see that his role is to cover the extra defender, effectively to play on two opponents. We want to play a plus one back, which allows the opposition to do the same, but we don't want them to have easy outlet kicks from defence. Rioli covers his opponent and the spare, and often positions defensively instead of offensively to prevent them setting up an outlet, which effectively stops him getting the ball. Very hard to judge that role anyway but to watch how well he does it.

Given the way the ball is exiting our forward 50 this year the question has to be asked: is this role as effective as it has been and should it change?

DS

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Someone needs to tell Aarts he aint Dusty. The fend offs just dont work.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
Absolutely, there are plenty of roles that are contest based, or the stats can show you how effective they are. The tricky ones are the defensive role players because without seeing ehat they are doing, or knowing what they are supposed to be doing, it is very hard to measure.

For example, when I watch Rioli live I can see that his role is to cover the extra defender, effectively to play on two opponents. We want to play a plus one back, which allows the opposition to do the same, but we don't want them to have easy outlet kicks from defence. Rioli covers his opponent and the spare, and often positions defensively instead of offensively to prevent them setting up an outlet, which effectively stops him getting the ball. Very hard to judge that role anyway but to watch how well he does it.
If this is true then Dimma has moved away from the unique feature of our game style that succeeded in 2017+, having lively small fwds at the foot of the packs with defensive run and chase, using Rioli, Castagna and Butler (now Aarts). Using Rioli to mind 2 defenders is nuts and no wonder he looks out of sorts and not getting near it. If other players are being used in ways that don't allow them to excel then no wonder they look disinterested.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
He was doing it in 2017 as well, it's not always him, Castagna, Butler and now Aarts are always covering an extra when the opposition use them there.

We like a plus one in defence so that's the price we pay. Every time Grimes or Vlastuin take a third man up intercept you can thank a small forward.
So do we bring back rioli and replace aarts with another quick with a big engine like ralphsmith?

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
I'd get MRJ in there. He will give us the spark and bit of excitement we desperately need.
Based on VFL performance he is nowhere near ready. Just a 17 year-old kid. As if he can make a major difference. Needs much more time in the system.

Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I understand what is being said about Rioli and I've seen him run, cover opponents and block space/outlets. But he used to crumb a goal every now and again too. If all he is doing is to cover 2 opponents (I know, it is a lot) then he ceases to be a threat and they don't have to counter him. It really doesn't work that well without the small forwards also being able to attack occasionally, to be opportunistic.

DS

Reactions: 3 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Based on VFL performance he is nowhere near ready. Just a 17 year-old kid. As if he can make a major difference. Needs much more time in the system.
No doubt some 17 year olds have that spark to be instant stars but I agree with you MRJ shouldn't believe the press and needs at least a season at VFL level and built his game and stamina

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
I'm something of a fan. But I think Jake should stop burning Dusty. Looks amateurish.

dmc

Kick it long and direct!
Feb 5, 2004
Ohio, USA
A hard worker but does not have enough tricks to his game. Very slow to get his hands free in a tackle and gets caught HTB way to often. I wish we had an upgrade right now but the cupboard is empty.

DragaTheCro

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2004
Was really good a few weeks ago and has gone downhill since. He ain’t on his own.

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
Never rated him and still don't a vfl footballer for me for us to get better have to replace him.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
The problem with Jake Aarts is that he has great attributes but makes us weaker as a team.

He's strong over the ball and has elite footy IQ. Good endurance runner too.

Unfortunately, he cannot contest at all over head, is slow when he ball hits the ground and although a technically good kick, is an awful user on the run. Can also spray a set shot.

He's so so slow.

And the opposition exposes it all the time. In trouble down back? Kick it to Aarts' man. It's an uncontested mark. And if you do drop it, just take a minute to pick it up and run away. And if the kick actually lands in front of Aarts, he's not going to hurt you with it.

We look poorer when he plays.

And the Aarts Castagna combination is abominable. You can't have two players who have no ability to score in your forward line. That's how you go two weeks without scoring ten goals. Especially if you're not able to maintain any forward pressure. Rioli was at least dangerous around goal. And genuinely frightened running defenders when he wasn't.

I would love to play on Aarts. And that's no compliment.

gutfull

Tiger Superstar
Jul 6, 2013
Hands up to any forward who will chase & tackle.
Mrj got to play next week ready or not .
Any other small forward ? Play them .
Our backs are decimated ((((.
Broad & Balta tough to replace now !

Our outs are
Soldo big loss
Nank hmm same
Prestia
Lambert
Titch been hurt all year
Houli
Cotchin needs a new position ?.
Mid are getting beat up so it starts from the rucks which we don't have (.
Trade well package up all picks and go get a gun ...