Luke Meehan and Conditioning team | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Luke Meehan and Conditioning team

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
perhaps the club, Luke Meehan and the 'conditioning' team need to release some kind of statement?

I know there is not much that can be said, but all these injuries have an impact on RFCs performance...

on the field, off the field, etc.. many of us pay money to the club... etc

i read that injury list and can barely believe what I'm reading... 14 players?!

Reactions: 1 users
Feb 25, 2007
You can't make this *smile* up, just terrible. Gotta feel for Juddy Clarke.

Richmond believes Judson Clarke tore his ACL after he returned to the ground in the VFL. He had come back onto the field with knee heavily strapped yet with ACL intact after testing. He then tore it, presumably as he slipped kicking a long goal.

https://x.com/RalphyHeraldSun/status/1779769660315226379

• Angry
Reactions: 2 users

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Reactions: 1 user

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
This draw has been a financial disaster for our football club.

It has. It is partly on us though.

We voluntarily put our hands up to play Carlton and Melbourne in the first 4-5 rounds every year.

They are currently two of the strongest clubs. One on a Thursday night and the second could be any night of the week.

Great for the coffers and sponsors. Not so much for fans attending or banking four points.

mad_tiggy911

Tiger Legend
Mar 30, 2009
This Meehan bloke has to go. A good example of not needing to promote from within. Best available always.

Feb 25, 2007
Because Collingwood and West Coast were outspending everyone - including us, by a significant margin, when it cames to medical/sports science and recruiting. It was likely to end up with a two tiered competition where few clubs remain competitive.
I remember someone saying we had Greg, Frank and some part time volunteers whilst Collingwood had permanent staff in every state, and multiple to cover the TAC. They then had part timers cover gaps.

What does that make us tight arses we have much more money "cash on hand" than Collingwood. We are No. 1 for revenue of almost 100 million but go cheap on sports science. Meehan was like 3rd in line, Inness, Burge and then Meehan. Gross incompetence for not searching far and wide for the best. We dropped the ball on this one and paid the price.

Lost Rob Inness to Sydney cause we cut back on costs during covid but made sure Dimma was getting most of the doe.

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
This Meehan bloke has to go. A good example of not needing to promote from within. Best available always.
He was third drop too! I was very surprised after last year they persevered. Especially considering Hardwick leaving would've opened up significant salary cap. Perhaps the club didn't want too much change in one offseason.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
What does that make us tight arses we have much more money "cash on hand" than Collingwood. We are No. 1 for revenue of almost 100 million but go cheap on sports science. Meehan was like 3rd in line, Inness, Burge and then Meehan. Gross incompetence for not searching far and wide for the best. We dropped the ball on this one and paid the price.

Lost Rob Inness to Sydney cause we cut back on costs during covid but made sure Dimma was getting most of the doe.
You've missed the point. The question was why is there a cap on footy depth spending.
At the time that was introduced, we weren't pulling in revenue like we are today. Collingwood were off doing altitude training every off season, we we doing heat because a) we couldn't afford to take everyone over to the US to do it b) there was a belief (now found correct I think) that altitude training only gives a short term benefit. You need to continue it to have it become an advantage.
Still, we were not up and about. The league had to constrain the bigger spending clubs. We probably benefited from it, as it held the others back.
Nowadays. Those constraints are there. We can choose to pay the tax for over spending, or we can work within budget. We need to recruit more selectively.

Reactions: 2 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
About 30 pages back a wise poster mentioned "The Butcher". It does have a nice ring to it.

Feb 25, 2007
You've missed the point. The question was why is there a cap on footy depth spending.
At the time that was introduced, we weren't pulling in revenue like we are today. Collingwood were off doing altitude training every off season, we we doing heat because a) we couldn't afford to take everyone over to the US to do it b) there was a belief (now found correct I think) that altitude training only gives a short term benefit. You need to continue it to have it become an advantage.
Still, we were not up and about. The league had to constrain the bigger spending clubs. We probably benefited from it, as it held the others back.
Nowadays. Those constraints are there. We can choose to pay the tax for over spending, or we can work within budget. We need to recruit more selectively.

Fair enough but that was only one part of my post. The other part is why give Meehan the job we didn't search far and wide for the best available.
Secondly, we lost Inness because Dimma wanted all the doe.

The_General

Staff member
May 4, 2004
Fair enough but that was only one part of my post. The other part is why give Meehan the job we didn't search far and wide for the best available.
Secondly, we lost Inness because Dimma wanted all the doe.
I reckon most clubs would back themselves to find another Innes. Not many would back themselves to find another Dimma - in the middle of a dynasty.

As for Meehan - there's clearly something amiss at the club. But he was there - as has been pointed out - as third in line. If the other 2 were the best (or near it) his pedigree should be amazing. I doubt he has rocks in his head and didn't learn from them.

I think we're too far from the club to know whether it's Meehan or someone under him. He wouldn't be making decisions about medical conditions, he's not qualified as a medical practitioner to my understanding. Surgeons etc are. He'd be doing rehab/strength and conditioning programs to build back what the medicos would give him guidance on - I'd have thought.

Again, I'm clearly of the belief we're doing something wrong. Lightning is striking to many times for it all to be bad luck.
Did we go too hard in pre-season that's taken us to the edge of stress/soft tissue risk? Is the medical team being too risky with what the rehab should be? Have we got a culture of "shut up and play, so we eek out more wins"...I'd have NFI. Not sure anyone would. I'd be careful we don't borderline defame Meehan professionally because we're all frustrated with the list of issues.

What I hope, pray, the club does though, is investigate this properly and get some help in the area. To assist Meehan if we think he's the goods, or replace him if he's no good. Either way, after last year, we need to be more proactive than we appear to be right now.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Because Collingwood and West Coast were outspending everyone - including us, by a significant margin, when it cames to medical/sports science and recruiting. It was likely to end up with a two tiered competition where few clubs remain competitive.
I remember someone saying we had Greg, Frank and some part time volunteers whilst Collingwood had permanent staff in every state, and multiple to cover the TAC. They then had part timers cover gaps.
A cap should never be on medical and performance.
If your prepared to use more money in a certain part of running a club, so be it.

The_General

Staff member
May 4, 2004
A cap should never be on medical and performance.
If your prepared to use more money in a certain part of running a club, so be it.
I'd suggest medical shouldn't be capped, but performance should, unless we want to end up like the EPL (or some American sports, where small market teams rarely win championships).

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004

RICHMOND

J Hopper Knee Test
D Grimes Wrist Test
J Short Calf TBC
D Prestia Hamstring 3
N Balta Knee 3-4
J Trezise Ankle 3-4
J Bauer Hamstring 3-4