Luke Meehan and Conditioning team | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Luke Meehan and Conditioning team

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
Now we can focus on the most important recruiting of this off-season.

Reactions: 4 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
I’m Luke warm on this appointment.
Internal promotions can breed apathy.
Hope we searched high and low both nationally and internationally and that he was the strongest possible candidate.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Hope we searched high and low both nationally and internationally and that he was the strongest possible candidate.
True, but other side is that Luke already knows the players' history and now has more authority to control their issues.

Reactions: 3 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
I wish him luck, because that is what he is going to need most.
@The Big Richo .... this being your area of expertise. ... was wondering what sort of numbers, staff wise, he would be in charge of and secondary question. .. who are the medicos usually answerable to, head of footy or head of high performance?
Always been curious to how it works if you can share some insight.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
I wish him luck, because that is what he is going to need most.
He’ll need some fresh ideas and a strong sense of what he wants to achieve most of all.
Same same won’t cut it.
Athletes need to be inspired to achieve results they thought they couldn’t otherwise achieve

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014

They tend to be cheaper too.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
@The Big Richo .... this being your area of expertise. ... was wondering what sort of numbers, staff wise, he would be in charge of and secondary question. .. who are the medicos usually answerable to, head of footy or head of high performance?
Always been curious to how it works if you can share some insight.

It's a bit hard to answer because everyone does it a bit differently and the titles change a bit. This role as Physical Performance Manager, would likely be called High Performance Manager at other clubs, or Director of High Performance at others but there can be nuances with how they set them up.

In general terms that role is the overseer of all things physical when it comes to the players and would report to the footy manager (although we do that differently as well) and manage a large team of staff.

Depending on the area of expertise of the person the structure under them will change a bit so again generally they could have someone managing strength and conditioning, sports medicine, rehabilitation and training services but again different clubs combine those roles and chop them in many different ways.

Then in turn those people are managing or working with consultants which covers all your doctors, physios, dieticians, weight coaches, running coaches, boxing, trainers and so on and so on.

To give a more concrete example of a club I've actually been inside, we had one football manager, who had a head of physical performance under him. Under him you had three athletic development coaches, one senior in charge of rehab, one in charge of conditioning and one who also oversaw the second tier program, a head of medical services, a dietician, a physio and head of training services as full time staff.

Then as consultants you have three Drs, one senior and two assistants, another physio and other training staff would be either students on placements or traineeships and other staff would be sourced as needed as consultants as well.

Reactions: 6 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Unlikely we looked any further than the staff kitchen

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Unlikely we looked any further than the staff kitchen
I think the opposite. But given the proximity to pre- season, I imagine there weren't a huge amount of candidates who weren't already employed.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Also consider the soft cap, that'd put a stop to searching too far & wide. In Luke's case he'd have a fair idea of the errors made last summer, where we started the season being run off of our legs, injuries aside that was a major issue early on for us too & with us it usually goes the other way.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Everybody starts somewhere !!

Lets hope the people who are incharge of promoting him believe he is the best person available to take our team foward and he becomes the best in the game.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
hope it works out obviously but there is no way they did that

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Has a wealth of experience in S&C. Good luck to him.
But the soft cap would have been the driving factor in this and any footy dept appointments.

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
He couldn't do a worst job then the bloke we had last year.
We had players injured running through the banner.

• Haha

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Has a wealth of experience in S&C. Good luck to him.
But the soft cap would have been the driving factor in this and any footy dept appointments.
Soft cap has now been increased. Extra $1m or thereabouts for upcoming season.
Depends on where club prioritises the funds.
I would have thought, after last years run with soft tissue injuries and inability to run out games, that they would direct them to sport science and performance

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
It's a bit hard to answer because everyone does it a bit differently and the titles change a bit. This role as Physical Performance Manager, would likely be called High Performance Manager at other clubs, or Director of High Performance at others but there can be nuances with how they set them up.

In general terms that role is the overseer of all things physical when it comes to the players and would report to the footy manager (although we do that differently as well) and manage a large team of staff.

Depending on the area of expertise of the person the structure under them will change a bit so again generally they could have someone managing strength and conditioning, sports medicine, rehabilitation and training services but again different clubs combine those roles and chop them in many different ways.

Then in turn those people are managing or working with consultants which covers all your doctors, physios, dieticians, weight coaches, running coaches, boxing, trainers and so on and so on.

To give a more concrete example of a club I've actually been inside, we had one football manager, who had a head of physical performance under him. Under him you had three athletic development coaches, one senior in charge of rehab, one in charge of conditioning and one who also oversaw the second tier program, a head of medical services, a dietician, a physio and head of training services as full time staff.

Then as consultants you have three Drs, one senior and two assistants, another physio and other training staff would be either students on placements or traineeships and other staff would be sourced as needed as consultants as well.
Thanks for your detailed assessment. ....Whichever way it works at our club, it's a big job with huge responsibility, so as you've mentioned we wish him luck.

Reactions: 1 users

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Soft cap has now been increased. Extra $1m or thereabouts for upcoming season.
Depends on where club prioritises the funds.
I would have thought, after last years run with soft tissue injuries and inability to run out games, that they would direct them to sport science and performance

At the expense of the culture, leadership and mental development i.e. Emma Murray and Shane McCurry (these two are leaders in their field and we rightly invest more here than anyone) or getting assistants in like Ben Rutten and David Teague who would both be at the higher end?

When we have the above and also a senior coach who is one of the highest paid in the league, we can't pay top $$ everywhere and the above are our big investments. something then has to give.

Club has obviously thought the gap between Luke's ability and getting someone external wasn't worth the sacrifice somewhere like the above.

Time will tell if that is correct, but can understand the clubs logic.

Reactions: 8 users