Lynch !! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Lynch !!

Mycotchinrules

That's just like, your opinion, man
Mar 17, 2014
Cheers to the ridiculous Herald Sun article criticizing Lynch.

He will be breathing fire this week.

The Dogs backline isn't that flash. I'm marking him down for 4 goals.

Reactions: 1 users

angle ankle

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 6, 2020
.tom is consistently battling 2/3 other talls...wtf do they come from & where's their opponents? (jack!?)
.we need to add a mobile tall fwd to create options, take some heat off him & help ball retention...
.broad the obvious...please stop with caddy calls..3 slows don't make a quick.

• Haha
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Amazing what the defenders get away with.
I saw May in one particular contest holding back Lynch by the arm. What chance has he got with that rubbish going on unpunished?

I honestly would start feeding him the angry pills again. Plays his best fired up. Wouldn't mind if he flattens the odd defender.

Reactions: 6 users

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008
Amazing what the defenders get away with.
I saw May in one particular contest holding back Lynch by the arm. What chance has he got with that rubbish going on unpunished?

I honestly would start feeding him the angry pills again. Plays his best fired up. Wouldn't mind if he flattens the odd defender.
True. Unfortunately the ridiculous "axe murderer" narrative the media spun on Tom last year hasn't done him any favours when it comes to getting frees from the umpires.

He certainly barrelled Max Gawn twice on Saturday and to Gawn's credit he copped it and kept going.

I think Tom's got reserves of angry pills in his back pocket, and as another poster has commented, Blobbo's predictable superficial criticism of Tom should have the desired effect for this week's game.

Reactions: 1 user

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
True. Unfortunately the ridiculous "axe murderer" narrative the media spun on Tom last year hasn't done him any favours when it comes to getting frees from the umpires.

He certainly barrelled Max Gawn twice on Saturday and to Gawn's credit he copped it and kept going.

I think Tom's got reserves of angry pills in his back pocket, and as another poster has commented, Blobbo's predictable superficial criticism of Tom should have the desired effect for this week's game.

This 100%. The media hanged him last year. Look at the impact its had on frees.

I'm a big believer in pre-conceived bias, and since the media hanging (which wasn't even for anything too bad, who did he actually knock out??) he has been destroyed by the umps. I suspect they look at the contests with pre-conceived bias, ie Tom goes near someone, theres contact, he must have infringed right.

He's been involved in a similar number of frees per game (for and against throughout his career), but the swing between what he gets and what he gives away has dramatically changed since the witch hunt.

1619494772964.png

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul

I'm a big believer in pre-conceived bias, and since the media hanging (which wasn't even for anything too bad, who did he actually knock out??) he has been destroyed by the umps. I suspect they look at the contests with pre-conceived bias, ie Tom goes near someone, theres contact, he must have infringed right.

He's been involved in a similar number of frees per game (for and against throughout his career), but the swing between what he gets and what he gives away has dramatically changed since the witch hunt.

View attachment 12024

That's some really insightful statistics there Mr P, thanks for sharing. Does a great job of demonstrating just how badly Tom Lynch, and by association the RFC, is screwed over by the umps. Unfortunately i can't see the sycophantic AFL media ever reporting this bias as there is no love lost for our club anymore and the neutrals are sick of our success.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004

View attachment 12024
100% clowns like Robbo and Cornes have influenced the way the umpires see the way defenders play on Lynch.
Its getting to the stage Gale might need to storm into the coaches rooms and unleash.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
That's a very interesting breakdown Mr P.

I wonder if forwards in general experience a similar pattern as they age and lose a bit of physical advantage. In Lynch's case, I think his free kick decline matches his increased tendency to wrestle rather than be on the lead. I'd bet his numbers of frees for v against are much better when he is hitting up and not stationary.

It would be interesting to see the breakdown of what types of frees he gets and what he gives away. If the frees have dropped away because he's getting less arm chop frees then it would certainly point towards that. Similar if his frees against have increased due to marking infringements, but its either very coincidental that its in line with when his character was assassinated in the media last year over things that other players do and they don't get the same treatment.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
His greatest strength has deserted him a bit. Taking very few contested marks these days.
I keep banging on about it but I do worry about the effect that finger injury has had.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
His greatest strength has deserted him a bit. Taking very few contested marks these days.
I keep banging on about it but I do worry about the effect that finger injury has had.

He's not getting on the lead as much as he used to. He is far far better at a lead up mark, than pack marks when its on his head. Jumping Jack can do that but Lynch less so.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
I think he plays best when he is hitting up 30-60 from goal and he doesn't seem to be doing much of that.

Whatever the reason for it is, this is something I have noticed. He seems to be playing much deeper in the forward line and not moving that much in any direction. Not sure if that is an injury issue or by design. I suspect the latter.

It does allow him to be double teamed or even triple teamed, but at the same time that in itself should create opportunity as long as there is pressure on the ball coming out of the forward line.

At the moment, I think things just aren't quite clicking. It remains to be seen though if this sort of tactic will actually work, and I guess if it is even a tactic at all.

He might be injured.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
I'd be pretty pissed off if we had our roster in top nick for Round 6. Not to say Lynch hasn't had a very mediocre start.

I'm liking Lynch getting around the ground a bit. I like him higher at this stage of the season.

And if his knee's ready (thank you for the tip on this last year, TBR) let's ruck him a bit more.

R6? Plenty of time yet.

Reactions: 3 users

Punt n Brunton

Tiger Purist
Sep 17, 2003
The game style which largely involves bombing it long, is not helping Lynch at all. Rarely see him on a lead, marking out in front of his eyes.

I'd like to see Coleman-Jones come in, and play deep forward, with Lynch more the roaming CHF. Let him run free and get separation and unleash him for a few weeks.

Reactions: 11 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
H
The game style which largely involves bombing it long, is not helping Lynch at all. Rarely see him on a lead, marking out in front of his eyes.

I'd like to see Coleman-Jones come in, and play deep forward, with Lynch more the roaming CHF. Let him run free and get separation and unleash him for a few weeks.
He came alive after half time in the GF when he pushed up the ground.
I agree.
Another tall could spook the footscray defenders

zgod

Tiger Legend
Feb 25, 2008
Suspect we will be thanking blobbo for Toms awakening this week.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
He does look too stationary at the moment, think he is much better when moving around.

Lynch is a very good player, I'm sure he can turn it around.

DS

Reactions: 4 users

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
He came alive after half time in the GF when he pushed up the ground.
I agree.
Another tall could spook the footscray defenders

For sure, but the key will be a mobile tall if we are going to persist with Lynch deep. I'd love to see CCJ get a crack this week, but he doesn't add enough versatility with Lynch there unless we see a need, first and foremost, to give Nank a solid ruck chop out ahead of Pickett.

I can't believe I am typing this, but that player is Chol IMO. He did a few good things I thought against Casey up forward, but in all honesty, all we need him to do here is play that decoy role. Be a threat and hold his man to account by moving in every direction except into the deep forward area to take the pressure off Lynch.

Batchelor Party

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 25, 2011
USA
For sure, but the key will be a mobile tall if we are going to persist with Lynch deep. I'd love to see CCJ get a crack this week, but he doesn't add enough versatility with Lynch there unless we see a need, first and foremost, to give Nank a solid ruck chop out ahead of Pickett.

I can't believe I am typing this, but that player is Chol IMO. He did a few good things I thought against Casey up forward, but in all honesty, all we need him to do here is play that decoy role. Be a threat and hold his man to account by moving in every direction except into the deep forward area to take the pressure off Lynch.
I agree that we need a tall to take pressure off Lynch but question whether Chol has the discipline and desire to make himself a consistent threatening target for the entire game. In past games he has done both the spectacular then lapsed into laziness. Will be an interesting selection committee this week, obviously they have better insights into the mindsets of players.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
I agree that we need a tall to take pressure off Lynch but question whether Chol has the discipline and desire to make himself a consistent threatening target for the entire game. In past games he has done both the spectacular then lapsed into laziness. Will be an interesting selection committee this week, obviously they have better insights into the mindsets of players.

I must admit I am now already seriously considering the wisdom in suggesting it.