Lynch !! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Lynch !!

Mopsy

"I can feel Tigermania flowing through my veins"
Jan 9, 2005
Brisbane
Why does he constantly play from behind?

Tom you are 200cm, get in front ffs.

Reactions: 2 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Some of his efforts one on one were pathetic tonight.

He's capable of more, but it's mostly the system IMO. For example, in the last quarter Dusty kicked I50. He had two options:

- 5 medium-sized Richmond players vs 1 Geelong player 30m away.
- Tom Lynch vs 5 Geelong players 50m away.

He kicked to Tom as we routinely do in these situations. Can't expect to take contested marks in the modern game. They're very rare, and even the best like Tom can only do it twice a game as a career average.

People might say look at Geelong's Cameron and Hawkins, aren't they examples of tall forwards dominating? But no. Everything Cameron and Hawkins did was in space, on the lead, with planned ball movement, or on the run from a handball. They did nothing in the first quarter when they were kicking it slow and long to pack situations, and did everything when they weren't playing like traditional contested talls.

We're asking Lynch to do a near impossible task right now. He's doing well for the role, but is capable of much more. I look forward to seeing us adapt to the changing game throughout the year and how Tom's role changes because of that.

Reactions: 5 users

Tenacious Tiges

I remember when Balmey just thugged them .....
Apr 11, 2003
He has to get on the run and the mids have to kick to his and Jacks advantage. A lot of bombs into the forward line tonight. They need to be given a chance.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Confidence at an all time low.
He is dropping marks that he should take and his set shots aren't as reliable as previous years.
Im confident he will find form

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Like the team - was awful tonight. Worst of all was that he first stopped moving & then stopped competing. If he’s injured, then stop playing him, if he’s out of form, then drop him. Having no vertical leap on top of no speed, is killing him.

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Chocolates to boiled lollies
He'll be back because he IS a good player
Forward line structure and set up needs tweaking.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Confidence at an all time low.
He is dropping marks that he should take and his set shots aren't as reliable as previous years.
Im confident he will find form
Hands of concrete this year so far. A lot of grabs just bounce out of his hands.

Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Dropped a terrible one in the first quarter.

Later in the game, probably last quarter at the Punt Rd end right in front of me a kick comes in to a contested situation. It is a bit low and in front of Lynch. So, it goes straight into the hands of a Geelong player. You can't be expected to mark the ball when it is kicked to the advantage of your opponent.

He'll be back but we also need to clean up delivery to him. If there are 5 players hanging off Lynch then we kick it to wherever our players are. I just don't get the idea you kick it to Lynch when he is so outnumbered, kick it to others and he won't be so outnumbered for long. Mind you a lot of pressured kicks out of the middle, they need to create more space so it isn't just a dump kick forward.

DS

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Let’s not beat around the bush. He was putrid tonight. Dead set looked like he wasn’t having a crack. Drops marks he should easily take and when the ball hits the deck he just about gives up. And his partner in crime Jack was even worse tonight.

These two have got to find a way to impact games when they’re not playing up to the standard we expect from them. The gap between their best and worst is too big. Compare their contemporaries in the Geelong forward line tonight; chalk and cheese.

That said our ball movement into the forward line is a disaster. It looks like we have no plan whatsoever and a Lynch and Jack just stand there surrounded by multiple opponents and stick their hands up in the air.

Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
That said our ball movement into the forward line is a disaster. It looks like we have no plan whatsoever and a Lynch and Jack just stand there surrounded by multiple opponents and stick their hands up in the air.
This. They need the ball coming in a certain way to be effective in our system. The quantity and quality dry up and the smalls at their feet vanish and they look terrible. They are not blameless but probably the least culpable in tonight's effort.