Lynch !! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Lynch !!

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
That said our ball movement into the forward line is a disaster. It looks like we have no plan whatsoever and a Lynch and Jack just stand there surrounded by multiple opponents and stick their hands up in the air.

So that’s system, not talent or effort.

Daniel Rioli is tall enough to kick most if not all of the goals that Geelong’s tall forwards kicked.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
This. They need the ball coming in a certain way to be effective in our system. The quantity and quality dry up and the smalls at their feet vanish and they look terrible. They are not blameless but probably the least culpable in tonight's effort.

We seem to have stopped using talls as a decoy to tap the ball down to smalls, I wonder why?

The forward line consists of 6 players who are all capable of running into space and marking on the lead, or snapping at goal on the run from a contest after a chain of F50 handballs.

We play like we’ve only got 2 forwards to kick to.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
At least two of the marks he dropped, when he was in front, he dropped after Henderson shoved him in the back. He gets nothing. And we're not helping him. Need another target to spread the defence.

Reactions: 2 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
We do know how to burn players on the lead. One of the easiest kicks in AFL is to kick the ball into open space for any easy mark. But we either go long or drop it at their toes. I think we need to start looking elsewhere before just laying the blame solely on our two key forwards.

Reactions: 4 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
At least two of the marks he dropped, when he was in front, he dropped after Henderson shoved him in the back. He gets nothing. And we're not helping him. Need another target to spread the defence.

We already have 6 targets up forward

Against Geelong’s defence, I think Aarts took more marks on the lead than Lynch, which kind of proves my point

We have 6 targets... so use them.

Pretty simple stuff

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
We do know how to burn players on the lead. One of the easiest kicks in AFL is to kick the ball into open space for any easy mark. But we either go long or drop it at their toes. I think we need to start looking elsewhere before just laying the blame solely on our two key forwards.
Spot on cannot understand that , and there a options to yet we ignore them or bomb it.

Reactions: 1 user

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
We already have 6 targets up forward

Against Geelong’s defence, I think Aarts took more marks on the lead than Lynch, which kind of proves my point

We have 6 targets... so use them.

Pretty simple stuff
We need better targets than Aarts.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Because Aarts' man was busy triple-teaming Lynch?

Exactly.

We have 6 targets up forward.

Feels like I’m on my own with this one, but the way I see it, we could bring in CCJ to give us a 3rd target or we could use all 6 targets in some capacity.

Maybe kick it 40m along the ground to Rioli’s advantage. Kick it to space for George. Then kick it to Lynch on the lead when he has space. If there’s no space, kick it to someone else or tap it down to a small forward.

Lynch used to often tap it down instead of going for the mark, but he’s gradually moved away from that style of play.

I think it ties in with what happened in 2017.

We didn’t win the 2017 flag with 1 forward, we had more forwards and more goal kickers than ever. It seemed like we stumbled upon a philosophical advantage with that, but I think we’ve gradually gone away from the basic idea of being unpredictable and prioritising a spread of goalkickers in favour of traditional ideas about tall forwards. I’m sure this is a pretty simple view though, it’s hard to be sure from a distance.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Exactly.

We have 6 targets up forward.

The way I see it, we could bring in CCJ to give us a 3rd target or we could use all 6 targets in some capacity.

Kick it 40m along the ground to Rioli’s advantage.
Kick it to space for George.
Then kick it to Lynch.
Yep Aarts has shown he’s capable of kicking goals. 3 last night. Maybe our mids should kick it to him when Jack and Tom each has 2 or 3 opponents to beat. Sometimes we are so dumb the way we move the ball into our forward line.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
I was at the game and not in the best viewing position so need to watch a replay - just couldn't be sure how much of a shove Henderson got away with. But don't doubt you are right. Very likely shoved, because that's the C Scott way of playing; how he defended and how his team operates. Constant body contact, holds, grapples and interference which, strangely!!, is almost totally ignored by the dumpires.
[Look at how for Shai's m-of-year, he escaped contact and actually got a running leap].

However, it can also be argued that that is what KPDs are going to do and do do. Lynch and JR must be so used to it, you have to have good/strong enough hands to still grasp and hold the ball once you get your mitts on it. I have become fairly disappointed in Lynch. He just doesn't seem that strong, or classy enough, as I believed he was. He needs to hold a lot more marks that he gets hands too. Quite a few PRE comments on his poor hands.

I have reached the point of wondering if we would be that much worse off trying Chol again:
- he is arguably as good a mark with a greater leap
- more leg-speed
- a better kick in almost all respects; unselfish team-player who shares the ball to someone in better position
- greater agility on the deck and in general play
- best of all, can actually compete in the ruck, giving Nank a genuine rest and allowing others like KPDs and Pickett to remain in position
- this has the further advantage of providing more room for Dusty to move in for taking mark or possession; it's counter-productive for Dusty trying to find space with two slowish KPFs who are not good once the ball hits the ground, hogging it. So Nank benches, Chol moves from KPF into on-ball, DM rests forward. Use this to catch out defences too.

But Riewoldt was really ineffective too last night. Our FL has been the issue for quite a while; It's seriously malfunctioning. Too many smalls having too little impact as well. Castagna had a shocker.

But he's not on the huge $$$ and long contract!

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
I was at the game and not in the best viewing position so need to watch a replay - just couldn't be sure how much of a shove Henderson got away with. But don't doubt you are right. Very likely shoved, because that's the C Scott way of playing; how he defended and how his team operates. Constant body contact, holds, grapples and interference which, strangely!!, is almost totally ignored by the dumpires.
[Look at how for Shai's m-of-year, he escaped contact and actually got a running leap].

However, it can also be argued that that is what KPDs are going to do and do do. Lynch and JR must be so used to it, you have to have good/strong enough hands to still grasp and hold the ball once you get your mitts on it. I have become fairly disappointed in Lynch. He just doesn't seem that strong, or classy enough, as I believed he was. He needs to hold a lot more marks that he gets hands too. Quite a few PRE comments on his poor hands.

I have reached the point of wondering if we would be that much worse off trying Chol again:
- he is arguably as good a mark with a greater leap
- more leg-speed
- a better kick in almost all respects; unselfish team-player who shares the ball to someone in better position
- greater agility on the deck and in general play
- best of all, can actually compete in the ruck, giving Nank a genuine rest and allowing others like KPDs and Pickett to remain in position
- this has the further advantage of providing more room for Dusty to move in for taking mark or possession; it's counter-productive for Dusty trying to find space with two slowish KPFs who are not good once the ball hits the ground, hogging it. So Nank benches, Chol moves from KPF into on-ball, DM rests forward. Use this to catch out defences too.

But Riewoldt was really ineffective too last night. Our FL has been the issue for quite a while; It's seriously malfunctioning. Too many smalls having too little impact as well. Castagna had a shocker.

But he's not on the huge $$$ and long contract!
Chol is miles off from offering what Lynch can offer. Lynch was bad last night, but nearly BOG the week before. Down overall this year but without him we don't win the 2019 flag.

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Lynch needs to lift & be consistent. He was good in 2019 but this is 2021 & he’s played one good game & seven poor ones. He must lead/move & compete. He must mark & not be rubber hands. He must start jumping again & crash packs. That simple. If he’s double teamed, we kick elsewhere.

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
Yep Aarts has shown he’s capable of kicking goals. 3 last night. Maybe our mids should kick it to him when Jack and Tom each has 2 or 3 opponents to beat. Sometimes we are so dumb the way we move the ball into our forward line.
That's the key. Against better backman, Jack & Tom will always have at least 2 opponents. I agree in what you said. We need another tall so, one must stay on him, better delivery to the forwards, with the third tall, Jack must play CHF, he is too good one on one, he can deliver the ball. Also, we can't afford to kick long from full back if the opposition rebounds. we may need to chip, chip and kick it long over the centre.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Chol is miles off from offering what Lynch can offer. Lynch was bad last night, but nearly BOG the week before. Down overall this year but without him we don't win the 2019 flag.
That's the conventional thinking. But what - Lynch with 7 Ds with 1 in the 2nd half, 1G fom just off the goal-square, 2Ms with 94m TOG? Minus 3 clangers which takes effective possessions to 4. [While, at the other end, Cameron 22Ds, Hawkins 20 and Rohan 16].
You think that's beyond Chol ... or many KPFs? Chol played an excellent game in one of the hottest H&A matches last year - PA at AO. After one or two lesser games, dropped. When he may have had a leg issue too.

I've posted about this many times before. You have to allow new players a run of games to enable them to rise to the level and find consistency. So we will otherwise cut Chol end-of-year without knowing for sure.

I have been watching TL closely for the last year, and I have posted with some real concerns for a while. TBH, I find him quite underwhelming now. Poor hands often and once it hits the ground, not much use. Limited leg-speed to get away, suspect kicking and decision-making, weak core as gets pushed aside quite easily and unreliable set-shot. Sure, really important player, especially in '19 flag, but he IS being highly paid on a long contract too.

Every year, the game changes. I'm talking about where we're at now in 2021. You cannot live in the past. Need to adapt or ... struggle. The fact that TL is not able to have a serious run in the ruck is a handicap for the side. Arguably it was Blicsav who really changed the game last night when Nank had to bench. Ratugolea has 0 x Ds Q3.

[JR8 even worse but best KPF last season and this season in goals scored].

Last edited:

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
We don't seem to have the piñata effect happening when the ball comes in high. Jack and Lynch are often double teamed and scragged but a couple of years ago that was exploited by the likes of Castagna, Daniel and Butler swooping in to get the goals. We're nowhere near as dynamic in our forward line. Not sure if that's personnel, different game plan or it's become defendable. It's making Jack and Lynch look ordinary.

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
Yeah Lynch can be better , but our delivery in our 50 is poor to against the dogs we hit him up.Smalls a not helping not doing there job at all.Introduce CCJ in forward line if there getting double teamed changing with Nank as he did with Soldo change it up to predictable for me.