Maurice JNR | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Maurice JNR

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
axlefoley said:
Another article on news.com.au saying Freo are keen on him, do they have any idea? However it does say that Junior will be boarding at Scotch College (Melbourne) next year.
Yeah, the coach of St Marys said Freo were enquiring so i doubt theyd be enquiring if he's not eligible for them.

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
From wikipedia:

West Australian and South Australian teams
In addition to the standard eligibility rules, the South Australian and Western Australian clubs have a modified rule in place, valid until the club has been in the AFL for 20 years, with eligibility to be determined by a certain number of games played for specific sides in SANFL or WAFL, if those games were played prior to the club entering the AFL.[5][10] Specifically:

• Until 31 October 2007, the West Coast Eagles could select any player whose father had made 150 WAFL appearances prior to 1987 for Claremont, East Perth, West Perth or Subiaco.
  • Until 31 October 2010, Adelaide could select any player whose father made 200 SANFL appearances prior to 1990 for South Adelaide, Norwood, Glenelg or Sturt.
  • Until 31 October 2015, Fremantle could select any player whose father has made 150 WAFL appearances prior to 1995 for East Fremantle, South Fremantle, Perth or Swan Districts.
  • Until 31 October 2017, Port Adelaide can select any player whose father has made 200 SANFL appearances prior to 1997 for the Port Adelaide Magpies, North Adelaide, West Adelaide, Central District, Woodville or West Torrens.

More than one eligible team and player choice
If a player is eligible to be selected by more than one team the individual player may choose which one of these teams is able to pick him under this rule. For example, Joe Daniher's father Anthony Daniher played 118 games with Essendon and 115 with Sydney. Joe selected Essendon.

(Likewise Jr could choose to play with Daniel. And he is boarding at Scotch and not in WA.)

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Apparently the rules were changed in 2006, just none of us noticed. The 20-year expiry period was abolished because it was felt to be unfair if a player had a son later in life, as Maurice did with MJ. He is eligible for Freo, but they have no chance.

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland
The wikipedia links, ie [5] and [10] above, to the AFL documentation of these rules seem to have been permanently deleted at the AFL end.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
My understanding is MJ is available to Fremantle as a father son selection but

MJ has no affiliation to fremantle as he father didnt play for the dockers but a western australian state team and the AFL/VFL team is what he would know as his fathers team.

MJ also supports/Barracks for Richmond
MJ Has Daniel already playing at the Tigers
MJ will be boarding at Scotch College next year and will be around the club regularly
MJ Will be getting to know all the players and staff and coaches at the club and will be looked after and tutored by the Tigers

Fremantle dont have a chance to get him as a father son selection as its the player that needs to agree and MJ wont, The kid wants to be a Tiger
MJ already has a Jeep & Driver waiting for him when he arrives in Melbourne

E

easy_tiger

turk-d-tiger said:
My understanding is MJ is available to Fremantle as a father son selection

your understanding is wrong Turk.

Here is a useful tool to ascertain ones level of correctness on Tiger matters:

If you disagree with something Taz says about the Tigers, then your level of correctness is perilously close to Zero. ;D

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
spook said:
Apparently the rules were changed in 2006, just none of us noticed. The 20-year expiry period was abolished because it was felt to be unfair if a player had a son later in life, as Maurice did with MJ. He is eligible for Freo, but they have no chance.
Bloody hell, what a shambles. Is there a link or an official statement from the AFL in the archives somewhere that locks in an official ruling as to this issue? Another three years of yes he is, no he's not argument would be enough to send the lot of us stone bloody crazy.

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008
spook said:

Thanks spook.

tigerjoe12

Tiger Superstar
Aug 24, 2006
This is interesting.

I was lucky enough to attend the Richmond GF lunch in 2011. & again, very lucky to be seated with Maurice Rioli's family the day they announced & named the large function room the Maurice Rioli room. Anyway, we were all chatting & the family basically said Maurice jnr was the one to watch out for out of all the Rioli kids. This was long before Daniel was drafted but Cyril was clearly already a star.

Be interesting to see how well the family have predicted this one...

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
spook said:

This makes sense and surprised Wikipedia hasn't been updated.

GEDS1

Richo's last lap
Apr 15, 2007
tigerjoe12 said:
This is interesting.

I was lucky enough to attend the Richmond GF lunch in 2011. & again, very lucky to be seated with Maurice Rioli's family the day they announced & named the large function room the Maurice Rioli room. Anyway, we were all chatting & the family basically said Maurice jnr was the one to watch out for out of all the Rioli kids. This was long before Daniel was drafted but Cyril was clearly already a star.

Be interesting to see how well the family have predicted this one...

TJ I find this fascinating as MR was my favourite as a 9 year old and to see another come through much in the same look despite some difference in style will be amazing. Fingers crossed we have another mysterious magician on our hands !

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
easy said:
your understanding is wrong Turk.

Here is a useful tool to ascertain ones level of correctness on Tiger matters:

If you disagree with something Taz says about the Tigers, then your level of correctness is perilously close to Zero. ;D

I think I had to admit that i am wrong incorrect erroneous inaccurate mistaken inexact maybe

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Maurice Rioli snr was only 176cm tall

MJ already looks to be at the height his father played at and he is only just 15 years old, I think MJ could end up a 185cm midfielder and not a small foward which would be sensational

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Tigers of Old said:
Article in the HUN today stated again that Freo are eligible. ???

I admitted defeat earlier !!, Spook had found some info to say this 20 year rule was abolished in 2006,
so yes they are eligible, highly *smile* unlikely though that MRJ would want anything to do with that purple rabble

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
taztiger4 said:
I admitted defeat earlier !!, Spook had found some info to say this 20 year rule was abolished in 2006,
so yes they are eligible, highly *smile*ing unlikely though that MRJ would want anything to do with that purple rabble

But Freo are eligible! ;D

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
taztiger4 said:
so yes they are eligible, highly *smile*ing unlikely though that MRJ would want anything to do with that purple rabble
I was as adamant as you were, until I saw that info.

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/fremantle-dockers-show-interest-in-potential-fatherson-draftee-maurice-rioli-jr/news-story/055332ae76d87076f2ccc900f89d1d91