Most underrated player to wear yellow and black | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Most underrated player to wear yellow and black

6cdc6cf426f0260b94b9e9ae951efc2b

Im biased, but I loved Jakes game later in his career up forward.
I love Jake's game against Collingwood.
Between him and Tommy Hislop slapped there entire team.

Reactions: 2 users
Broad and Astbury never got the plaudits they deserved from the AFL ecosystem but we always rated them highly.
Dave was certainly underrated by Salty. Who will forget how he bragged how he loved the Astbury/Hawkins match up at halftime in the 2020 grannie.
Hawkins 2nd half = 1 point
Dave was the ultimate unsung hero, solid with a capital S

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Dave was certainly underrated by Salty. Who will forget how he bragged how he loved the Astbury/Hawkins match up at halftime in the 2020 grannie.
Think he was a key driver of our standards.

Salty what a goose.
Astbury was a Gun.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Underrated by who?
If we're talking AFL, media etc, then Vlaustin. Should be a multiple AA.
If we're talking by our own then Jackson, Pettifer, Castagna.

The entire backline between 2017 and 2020.

Bibliography:

2017 All Australian Team
2018 All Australian Team
2019 All Australian Team
2020 All Australian Team

Reactions: 3 users
In the 80s Id have to say Greg Strachan, Barry Rowlings and Graeme Landy although my memory is limited early 80s. Michael Pickering.

Michael Mitchell 80s into 90s.

In the 90s - Matty Rogers, Nick Daffy , Jason Torney and Andrew Kellaway, Jamie Tape, Mark Merenda

In the 00s - Ivan Maric - helped changed the culture at the club, Will Thursfield.

Of the last 10 years - Kane Lambert, Josh Caddy, Dion Prestia , Shane Edwards, Dave Astbury, Nick Vlastuin, Nathan Broad.

For some reason, Jason Torney only got his props during his time in Adelaide. I was gutted when he was traded. Warrior.

Torney matured into a bloody good player. Luckily he only got to 100 games at the RFC for any father sons.

Last edited:
Castagna was pretty underrated by the general public and our own supporters. Triple premiership player and no one from PRE could even fit him in their best 22 combined premiership side!

No contest.
Mathew Richardson.
Would have been an all time great in a good team.
Misunderstood by the footballing community.
Carried us on his back for a decade.
Opposition and commentators laughed a him.
The joke was on them

Reactions: 5 users
Hard one and not underrated within but across the years I’d say Fred Swift was the most underrated.

In the 80s Id have to say Greg Strachan, Barry Rowlings and Graeme Landy although my memory is limited early 80s. Michael Pickering.

Michael Mitchell 80s into 90s.

In the 90s - Matty Rogers, Nick Daffy , Jason Torney and Andrew Kellaway, Jamie Tape, Mark Merenda

In the 00s - Ivan Maric - helped changed the culture at the club, Will Thursfieldd.

Of the last 10 years - Kane Lambert, Josh Caddy, Dion Prestia , Shane Edwards, Dave Astbury, Nick Vlastuin, Nathan Broad.

Torney was a bloody good player. Luckily he only got to 100 games at the RFC for any father sons.
Daffy was seriously under rated and then when Mick Malthouse called him the best small forward in the game everyone loved him too much.

No contest.
Mathew Richardson.
Would have been an all time great in a good team.
Misunderstood by the footballing community.
Carried us on his back for a decade.
Opposition and commentators laughed a him.
The joke was on them
He is an all-time great. But yeah.