Now that we are out - who wins it and who do you want to win it? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Now that we are out - who wins it and who do you want to win it?

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
I would like to see the cats getting knocked out by a last minute goal due to a 50m penalty because dangerfield infringes on the stand rule.
Last night was a good attempt but I'm still hoping for my perfect scenario to play out.

Reactions: 1 user

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I think Port win it. There's just something about them this year.

Anyone but Geelong or Melbourne.

Reactions: 1 users

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
I've turned around on Melbourne, you have to respect the footy they are playing. Same goes with Port. They both seem to have their heads down, and you don't hear much from them unlike the Salty one.

I would LMFAO if Geelong go out in straight sets. Their playing group won't come back from it, and it will set them back a decade. They're all in for this year with no view for the future. The fact that they are the only team without a representative in the U22 squad of 40 speaks volumes. Can you feel the pressure oh Salty one?

BL are the other team that I would love to see go out in straight sets. Highly unlikeable team.

Reactions: 2 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I've turned around on Melbourne, you have to respect the footy they are playing. Same goes with Port. They both seem to have their heads down, and you don't hear much from them unlike the Salty one.

I would LMFAO if Geelong go out in straight sets. Their playing group won't come back from it, and it will set them back a decade. They're all in for this year with no view for the future. The fact that they are the only team without a representative in the U22 squad of 40 speaks volumes. Can you feel the pressure oh Salty one?

BL are the other team that I would love to see go out in straight sets. Highly unlikeable team.
Love to see the Cats go out in straight sets. They may very well fall off a cliff if that does happen.

Reactions: 3 users

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Like to see GWS win, Toby Greene appeals as Norm Smith Medalist. Pretty much every other team has someone I couldn't stand to see as a premiership Player.

i.e. Jake Lever, Jeremy Cameron & Patrick Dangerfield, Dayne Zorko, Footscray, Buddy Franklin, David Koch, there are probably more.

Bill Haverchuck

Tiger Superstar
Jun 27, 2011
My mum was an old south supporter who grew up in albert park so i have always had a soft spot for them(i actually barracked for south before i switched to us) so obviously the swans...
Not that i see them as a chance...

I suppose GWS would be tolerable...but still annoying all their advantages now they get pick 2 ffs...

Bulldogs would have been ok but they look done...

Demons , Cats , Lions and Power ughhh despise them all unfortunately i think its 99.99% certain one of them will win...
Although i am starting to find the prospect of the dees winning less horrific than earlier in the season so hopefully them...I will just have to spend the next 10 years avoiding footy media if they do...imagine on the couch...

Hayfever

Tiger Champion
Apr 12, 2005
Demons will win. First time I’ve ever thought that in last 65 years but they are playing good footy.

Geelong’s window of opportunity gets shut if they don’t do it this year. No Dusty to spook them out of it either. But they remain the games biggest chokers with Scott, Danger and big Tom most likely to lose it at the most crucial moments again.

Reactions: 2 users

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
Strange season. Totally woeful second half of the year yet if we had beaten GWS last week we'd be potentially knocking bulldogs out of finals next week. Yet the gulf between Bulldogs and us this year has been massive.

BTW Demons for me. Only side I have enjoyed watching this year on a regular basis. Looking for GWS to surprise too.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
I prefer to see a VIC club win, Dees would be good, long time between drinks, but please not Geelong. Their supporters are still super salty about us repeatedly knocking them out of premiership contention and always complain how immensely lucky we were. Can't see them winning anyway. Their list is ridiculously old (3 years older per player than Dees yesterday) and in finals atmosphere they're unlikely to maintain 4 qtrs of pressure.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
I think Melbourne or Port Adelaide wins it.

Melbourne the form team all year and keep answering the critics when there were times they looked like faltering.

Port have been abouts for a few seasons now. And I was always more nervous playing them than Geelong in our finals years. They have only missed progressing in very tight matches. Keep coming back year after year to the pointy end. If they knock off Geelong in the first week (I believe they will) they get a home Prelim. Then they would play a GF on what is likely to be neutral ground.

As we saw in last year’s GF and this last round. Geelong are obviously packed with star players. But they can’t maintain the rage for a full four quarters. Get found out in the second half. When the competition is on such a knife edge, I think the age of their list contributes to that. They have gone all out trying to buy a premiership this year. High risk strategy that I don’t believe will come off.

My outsider/dark horse is Sydney if anyone was to come from the clouds.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I think Port win it. There's just something about them this year.

Anyone but Geelong or Melbourne.
Gone under the radar a bit. Easy draw for a side which made the PF last year, but they have won lots of games and finished second.

They are a chance. I reckon they were probably better last year and they were very good last year, we only just got past them.

Big chance for Port Adelaide this year.

DS

Puntrd64

Tiger Superstar
Apr 2, 2005
My son in Canada sent me his overview of the finals.
I thought I would share it here.

My ranking of teams I'd least like to win the premiership this year.

1. Essendon
Drug cheats who should have had their AFL license revoked. They are ahead of us on 16 premierships; I look forward to us narrowing the gap, not them widening it.

2. Geelong
Where to start? We have taught Chris Scott to respect us (begrudgingly), but deep down he can't stand us and can't figure out how to emulate us. We talk of 'connectedness' and 'Richmond Man'; he and his star players grow their hair long to express their individuality and acceptance of difference. They just don't get it. Seeing a Chris Scott post-KO press conference is delectable, a delight--something to have your morning coffee to with the promise of a great day to come. The Geelong Dad's Army model does not deserve validation and Steve Hocking's clear conflict of interest-- his ad hoc, untested rule changes that have profoundly eroded the aesthetics of the game--deserve to be punished.

3. Port Adelaide
The Bonaparte Syndrome entrant on the list: Port fans are as feral as it gets; they sure wish we cared about them and their opinions, but we just don't, and that's what hurts them the most. Where irrelevance meets shinboner meets illiterate, unabashed criminality, you find Port Adelaide fans. They make me proud to know Collingwood people. Not even their own mothers want them to win the premiership.

4. Sydney
Historical advantages for player acquisition and retention, perpetual home ground advantage to propel them into finals more years than not, dour football, dour coach--it took a Hardwick rocket for Longmire to use his library card to start taking out books about attacking, entertaining football.

5. Western Bulldogs
Soon after the 2016 grand final, Beveridge said he expected it to be the first in a Bulldogs dynasty. I simply don't want history to show that from 2016 to 2021 Richmond won 3 premierships and the Bulldogs 2. Should they stop throwing the football to each other, I have no real problem with them triumphing at a later date.

6. GWS
Fake club created for commercial reasons who turned on each other when the going got tough after the 2019 GF. The Amazon documentary exposed a toxic, antiquated culture in my opinion--not quite the Adelaide Ubermensch, Einsatzgruppen mentality, but a ruthless streak that is unlikeable nonetheless.

7. Brisbane
Faux tough Mitch Robinson aside, I have no real problems with Brisbane winning it, although I doubt they can now. I think that's a case in point: they are a little soft to be premiers; the Geelong home prelim was an embarrassment last year.

8. Melbourne
The team that reminds me most of Richmond 2017. Just like we were at that time, I think they are humbled enough by historical failures to take goodwill into the finals as 'everyone's second team'. Good luck to them, because I sure don't fancy any of the others winning it instead!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 9 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Gone under the radar a bit. Easy draw for a side which made the PF last year, but they have won lots of games and finished second.

They are a chance. I reckon they were probably better last year and they were very good last year, we only just got past them.

Big chance for Port Adelaide this year.

DS
I agree DS about Port.
Just for this year do hope Melb make it and win.
Still a bit to play out.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
If it wasn't for their supporters i'd probably be hoping the Dee's get over the line.

But after spending decades listening to their supporters gloat over a victory in a February practice game or some other menaingless game, i just can't bring myself to do it.

They are the number one group for getting ahead of themsdelves. I'd hate for them to be right, even just this time! Plus, that would bring them up to 13 flags with us. "F" that!

Reactions: 3 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
My son in Canada sent me his overview of the finals.
I thought I would share it here.

My ranking of teams I'd least like to win the premiership this year.

1. Essendon
Drug cheats who should have had their AFL license revoked. They are ahead of us on 16 premierships; I look forward to us narrowing the gap, not them widening it.

2. Geelong
Where to start? We have taught Chris Scott to respect us (begrudgingly), but deep down he can't stand us and can't figure out how to emulate us. We talk of 'connectedness' and 'Richmond Man'; he and his star players grow their hair long to express their individuality and acceptance of difference. They just don't get it. Seeing a Chris Scott post-KO press conference is delectable, a delight--something to have your morning coffee to with the promise of a great day to come. The Geelong Dad's Army model does not deserve validation and Steve Hocking's clear conflict of interest-- his ad hoc, untested rule changes that have profoundly eroded the aesthetics of the game--deserve to be punished.

3. Port Adelaide
The Bonaparte Syndrome entrant on the list: Port fans are as feral as it gets; they sure wish we cared about them and their opinions, but we just don't, and that's what hurts them the most. Where irrelevance meets shinboner meets illiterate, unabashed criminality, you find Port Adelaide fans. They make me proud to know Collingwood people. Not even their own mothers want them to win the premiership.

4. Sydney
Historical advantages for player acquisition and retention, perpetual home ground advantage to propel them into finals more years than not, dour football, dour coach--it took a Hardwick rocket for Longmire to use his library card to start taking out books about attacking, entertaining football.

5. Western Bulldogs
Soon after the 2016 grand final, Beveridge said he expected it to be the first in a Bulldogs dynasty. I simply don't want history to show that from 2016 to 2021 Richmond won 3 premierships and the Bulldogs 2. Should they stop throwing the football to each other, I have no real problem with them triumphing at a later date.

6. GWS
Fake club created for commercial reasons who turned on each other when the going got tough after the 2019 GF. The Amazon documentary exposed a toxic, antiquated culture in my opinion--not quite the Adelaide Ubermensch, Einsatzgruppen mentality, but a ruthless streak that is unlikeable nonetheless.

7. Brisbane
Faux tough Mitch Robinson aside, I have no real problems with Brisbane winning it, although I doubt they can now. I think that's a case in point: they are a little soft to be premiers; the Geelong home prelim was an embarrassment last year.

8. Melbourne
The team that reminds me most of Richmond 2017. Just like we were at that time, I think they are humbled enough by historical failures to take goodwill into the finals as 'everyone's second team'. Good luck to them, because I sure don't fancy any of the others winning it instead!

Your son has a good eye

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
My guess is three teams can win it - Melbourne, Port, Geelong.

Hate Geelong. Hoping for Toby to get a slap on the wrist, then kick the winning goal after the siren. Out in straight sets....

Don't particularly like Melbourne or Port, but I do respect their footy.

I would feel sorry for Melbourne supporters to finally win it, and be locked out of travelling to Perth to see it.

Given 2017 was one of the best days of my life, it would be a shame for Melbourne not to experience this.

I think Port is a good rebuild template for us in this draft, and I respect what they have done. If we can nail our picks, our list is refreshed and we could snag one more premiership in the next 2 years while Dusty still terrorises the comp.

The_Celebrant

Tiger Superstar
Aug 18, 2018
malemelbournecelebrant.net.au
Demons have the best balance of talent, experience and desire across the ground. The fact they leave guys like Nathan Jones, Melksham, Hibbert out means they not only have real depth but don't select on sentiment or 'loyalty'. Their humiliating 2018 PF loss will have steeled them.