Prelim Final prelude thread. Tigers v Salties | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Prelim Final prelude thread. Tigers v Salties

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
I've only been browsing this forum for six months but christ you're a negative person. I really hope your actual life is better than what you project on here. God help you if it isn't.

You don't like it, dont read it

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Dangerfield went at 47% efficiency after that bump. Heard footsteps for the rest of the game

Yeah right.
Dangerfield was there worse player.
Go to bed.
The bump came when we were 5 goals up.
The bump meant nothing. No more then a good tackle or good goal.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
8 changes from our line up, most of them important players to our structure.

Not only that we had a very unsettled lineup during that period, 4 changes alone for that game, 3 the game before, 4 the game after. Cotchin had just come back and had hammy issues again during Geelong game, Dusty had a huge corky in the 2nd and was limited & Edwards also copped an injury in that game. Team is now very settled, much fitter (even Lynch) and I think we can do to them what we did in 2017, they were in it till 3/4 time and we ran all over them with our speed and constant pressure.

Reactions: 3 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Dusty toying with Stewart on the wing was defining as well

How about the miracle man?
Cotchins goal?
Cotxhins 745 tackles?
The small forwards goal?
Rance spoil on fat guts?
Big V's mark going back?
Jacks pick up on the wing to set up Prestia?

All better then a Halleys comet moment from Ellis.

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
Not only that we had a very unsettled lineup during that period, 4 changes alone for that game, 3 the game before, 4 the game after. Cotchin had just come back and had hammy issues again during Geelong game, Dusty had a huge corky in the 2nd and was limited & Edwards also copped an injury in that game. Team is now very settled, much fitter (even Lynch) and I think we can do to them what we did in 2017, they were in it till 3/4 time and we ran all over them with our speed and constant pressure.
You only have to look at the Collingwood game early in the year , when we were close to full strength to realise we were a long way from our best .

Injuries or no injuries, we are in far better touch now.

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
Yep. Huge issues now with their structure with Hawkins out. I think they'll try and play Dangerfield forward for alot of the game. Plays into our hands imo. I am quietly confident.

In 2018 Hawkins missed 2.
Geelong won both v port and Collingwood.
The match scores in both games were below geelong’s average scores for and against.
Menegola scored 3 in one game
Horlin -Smith got 2 in the other.
They spread the scoring load through the midfield.

So expect them to try to keep the game contested and 1 on 1 rugby style.

Reactions: 1 user

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
We need to bring the heat as we did in '17 QF. They have shown they *smile* themselves under pressure which is why they have failed in Finals so often over the yrs.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
In 2018 Hawkins missed 2.
Geelong won both v port and Collingwood.
The match scores in both games were below geelong’s average scores for and against.
Menegola scored 3 in one game
Horlin -Smith got 2 in the other.
They spread the scoring load through the midfield.

So expect them to try to keep the game contested and 1 on 1 rugby style.

Yes they'll have no choice but to try to get goals from different avenues. If midfield push too far forward Geelong will definitely get smashed on the rebound. Hard to push forward AND deliver the sustained efensive pressure. Menegola is struggling for form this year. Has kicked 3 goals the whole year and only 1 in his last 8 games. Horlin-Smith now at Gold Coast. Ablett is the obvious one but I have been surprised at his lack of intensity in the last two games. Doesn't want to get the hard ball and looks slow when with it. Time has caught up I'm afraid. Dangerfield is the obvious to spend more time forward which takes a way a big body from the mniddle. Kelly can kick a goal. Otherwise they're going to have to rely on Rohan and Miers. Hawkins has played every game and their forward structure revolves around him. Very difficult to restructure successfully especially in a final.

Don’t Argue

Tiger Superstar
Jun 22, 2019
I'm pretty comfortable with it.

Hardwick is a relationship coach, Scott is a game analyst.

If either side was going to produce something tactical to gain an advantage in the game it will 100% be Geelong. We will roll out our very good system and play it from start to finish.

I’d argue that Hardwick keeps reinventing our game plan and has every other team in the league attempting to copy us. Geelong went and recruited two small forwards in recognition of Richmond’s innovation. Geelong’s biggest weekness is that their game never evolves. Slow and methodical has caused them to continually fail in finals.
When you talk football analysts, I think of Clarkson. Definitely not Scott.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Big deal. Dangerfield was still there best player. Didn’t change the result.
It was a Nothing moment.
Dangerfield was nowhere near their best player that day. Plenty of possession and wasted most of it because of the relentless pressure. Check the replay

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
He has the greatest winning percentage of any coach in the history of the game that has coached 200 plus games and has made finals 8 years out of 9.

That says more about the Cats distinct homeground advantage than it does about Super Coach Salty. And he knows it hence the 3months of homeground finals wailing we've been subjected too.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I understand people don't like Scott as a bloke but there is no denying his record as a coach.

He has the greatest winning percentage of any coach in the history of the game that has coached 200 plus games and has made finals 8 years out of 9.

You don't build a record like that without being highly tactically capable.

That's when the cue is for his knockers to say, yeah but he was gifted a flag in his first year but that isn't true either.

Apart from the fact flags are bloody hard to win, he took over an aging team that was on the wane and had just lost the best player in the game. Have a look at the articles from that preseason and you'll see most people had Geelong as a 4-8 type team and possibly even falling out of the eight.

Like him or hate him, he will be a huge factor in the game.

here's a tip TBR. Check out Scott's percentage winning record at Cattery park vs other venues. It stands at about 80% to low fifties at the MCG and elsewhere.

There's a reason why Scott has a good record at home and a middling record away, not to mention a terrible finals record. It's because the Cats are heavily advantaged playing at Kardinia Park.

And sorry, a 70% or thereabouts losing finals record means he can't be considered a great coach.

Reactions: 2 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
There's been plenty of coaches with homeground advantages over the years of VFL/AFL footy Baloo. He has a better record than all of them.

No coach in the last 15 or so years trained on the ground they play on, and on a ground so distinct in shape to the others.

Don’t Argue

Tiger Superstar
Jun 22, 2019
Yeah right.
Dangerfield was there worse player.
Go to bed.
The bump came when we were 5 goals up.
The bump meant nothing. No more then a good tackle or good goal.

No that was the funny part. He wasn’t their worst player.
I’ll tell you one thing. His bump meant more than your opinion. You need to stick with comedy which is your strength and stop attempting to delve into facts.

Last edited:

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I understand people don't like Scott as a bloke but there is no denying his record as a coach.

You don't build a record like that without being highly tactically capable.

That's when the cue is for his knockers to say, yeah but he was gifted a flag in his first year but that isn't true either.

Apart from the fact flags are bloody hard to win, he took over an aging team that was on the wane and had just lost the best player in the game. Have a look at the articles from that preseason and you'll see most people had Geelong as a 4-8 type team and possibly even falling out of the eight.

Like him or hate him, he will be a huge factor in the game.
The next 2 weeks (hopefully 1 week) will determine his reputation.