Robbie Tarrant - Welcome to the Jungle | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Robbie Tarrant - Welcome to the Jungle

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I think the problem is that you cannot outpace a leading forward. The leading forward has the advantage of knowing where they are leading to which gives them a split second to get separation and they're off. You need a defensive set up which allows for a player to come in from the side and spoil and we simply don't have the set up sorted. Everyone knows that Melbourne will sling shot after a turnover, but stopping a fast forward move is close to impossible (we know this, we used to be the best at it).

Tarrant is ok, not setting the world on fire, but hopefully teaching the younger players what they should be doing.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

ThePercies

Tiger Superstar
Apr 8, 2007
Bendigo
I think the problem is that you cannot outpace a leading forward. The leading forward has the advantage of knowing where they are leading to which gives them a split second to get separation and they're off. You need a defensive set up which allows for a player to come in from the side and spoil and we simply don't have the set up sorted. Everyone knows that Melbourne will sling shot after a turnover, but stopping a fast forward move is close to impossible (we know this, we used to be the best at it).

Tarrant is ok, not setting the world on fire, but hopefully teaching the younger players what they should be doing.

DS
What young players though?

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Reminds me of watching Chip Frawley at the tail end of his career. No confidence.

Reactions: 2 users

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Actually looked like a Richmond defender on Saturday night.

For the first time this year, he didn’t spend the whole game trailing behind his man, trying to push him out of kicking range but conceding possession.

He intercepted, covered two men when he had to, ran off to get involved when it was time to move the ball out of defence and pushed up forward to lock the ball into our forward line.

A couple of VFL games was all it needed for him to learn the ropes.

Should have had a goal too. Was undone by Tom Lynch’s undeserved reputation as a hard man who must be penalised every time he makes contact with a defender.

Reactions: 4 users

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
Tarrant will not look upon this game as one of his better games in yellow and black. Seems out of touch in all aspects

I don't think he had the right matchup. He needed to be on Franklin inside 50 and let Grimes go with him up the ground. In fact, a few games this year we don't look to have gotten our matchups right down back.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
That horrible decision to punch which he missed was the most North Melbourne thing I've ever seen.

Started their run on too.

I really don't want this guy in a final.

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
After last week's effort, tonight was very disappointing.
Need him to stand up and string together some strong games.

Reactions: 1 user

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Can't get Balta back soon enough. Geez he was horrible. What about that attempted spoil punch when he was actually on his own and should have just marked it o_O Almost missed the ball completely and the Swans goaled.

Still look on the bright side. North are stuck with CCJ for 4 years on big money and he can't get a game in the worst team in the AFL.

Small victories.............

immorta

~~we are eternal all this pain is an illusion~~
Mar 31, 2005
Melbourne
Can't get Balta back soon enough. Geez he was horrible. What about that attempted spoil punch when he was actually on his own and should have just marked it o_O Almost missed the ball completely and the Swans goaled.

Still look on the bright side. North are stuck with CCJ for 4 years on big money and he can't get a game in the worst team in the AFL.

Small victories.............
Yeah, Taz doesn't get a look in once Balta is back

Punt n Brunton

Tiger Purist
Sep 17, 2003
The missed spoil in the 3rd was horrible. I also hold him to account for that Heywood goal on the line. He’s paid to kill those contests.