Robbie Tarrant - Welcome to the Jungle | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Robbie Tarrant - Welcome to the Jungle

thought he was good last night. was his opponent HeadBand?

Yes - he played and beat him often (well the 1st and 3 Rd qtrs for sure as I was at the City end).

But on a side note, our defence was shocking in that first qtr. It was like we kept getting our match ups wrong, we often seemed disorganised and there was often a doggies player free with plenty of space to lead into. I think Gibcus is going to be a good player for us but there were plenty of times he had no idea who he was on or what was going on.

They clearly got the defence working better and looked more controlled in the 3rd, we were so lucky the dogs didn’t kick straight or it was game over.

Also, in the warm up, our players were kicking every thing but when the dogs had a go, they missed everything and some shockers too - luckily both teams carried that form into the game.

Reactions: 1 users
Going well but it will be important to retain Miller & Nuyon.
Has a 2 year deal but hoping to see him phased out.

I think that’s underestimating him a little. If he’s phased out, it will be because Nyuon and Miller have kicked the door down and rightfully so.

Tarrant is slotting well into the DTLD role. Very much a like for like replacement.

He is not quite so sure with the Tigers defensive structures though and I think this is causing issues at the moment, esp with Grimes and Vlastuin missing and two inexperienced talls beside him. We are lucky Broad is stepping up to organise down back.

Also, it was a coaching mistake to not play Tarrant on Max King against the Saints when Grimes went off the field. Gibcus is not ready to take on the better key forwards yet.

Reactions: 1 user
Add Tom Brown. 23 touches and 7 marks in the VFL. It's great having this depth but have we over balanced to the defensive side?
Different types.
Tom Brown is a slight, running HBF'er. As is Banks.
Tarrant an inspired free agent pick-up for two years, brought over to play on gorilla forwards, and provide time to progress other key backs Miller, Biggy and Gibcus.

Different types.
Tom Brown is a slight, running HBF'er. As is Banks.
Tarrant an inspired free agent pick-up for two years, brought over to play on gorilla forwards, and provide time to progress other key backs Miller, Biggy and Gibcus.
Wasn't comparing Brown to Tarrant. Just commenting on Ian's point that we have plenty of defensive stocks. FWIW, I wouldn't say Brown is a running HBF in the Short/Rioli mode, more an intercept medium back, more in the Vlastuin mould.

Best to not continue into 2023. Realistically proves nothing and looks lost in most games.

Reactions: 1 users
Worst game so far but been good till today. Think it was more bad coaching with giving him the athletic Himmelberg instead of Tex all night

Worst game so far but been good till today. Think it was more bad coaching with giving him the athletic Himmelberg instead of Tex all night
If he isn't good enough to play on Himmelberg types then he is no good to us. And Tex was towelling him up anyway

If he isn't good enough to play on Himmelberg types then he is no good to us. And Tex was towelling him up anyway
Not every defender is made equal and its up to the coach to find the right match ups. He came for the Tex type forwards but was found playing in Himmelberg for large parts of the first half. Bad coaching for mine

He's 40yo and it's R5. Always been more an intercept type but he can defend. Did he look soft at times? He did at Norf.

He's smart and skilful and not wound up.

I'm still optimistic about Tarrant if we can play some football.