Robbie Tarrant - Welcome to the Jungle | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Robbie Tarrant - Welcome to the Jungle

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
Unfortunately looked cooked like many of our veteran premiership heroes have looked this season so far

Reactions: 1 user

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
You know, when you’re 32 and your best footy is behind you and you change clubs you’re still 32 with your best footy behind you.

Reactions: 4 users

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
I'm more inclined to look further up the ground as the source of Tarrant's woes yesterday. Midfield absolutely burned on transition. We'd win a clearance, hack it forward, have it intercepted and rebounded quickly back. If you have a half decent forward line which the Crows do, that's nigh on impossible to defend. Having said that, I'm not sure our matchups were right anyway. Missed Gibcus third man up terribly I thought.

Reactions: 5 users

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
He's conceded 12 goals to his direct opponents in the past 3 weeks. That is ugly on it's own without considering that is what we brought him across for.

There has been a lot of discussion about our forward half, but it is actually our defence (including midfield defensive pressure no doubt) that is our biggest issue this year ILO.

17th in the league for conceding a score when the ball enters our defensive 50 is an ugly stat.

Combination of not having a consistent lineup, missing Grimes, poor stoppage work and Tarrant getting towelled up by key fowards.

Reactions: 6 users

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
He's conceded 12 goals to his direct opponents in the past 3 weeks. That is ugly on it's own without considering that is what we brought him across for.

There has been a lot of discussion about our forward half, but it is actually our defence (including midfield defensive pressure no doubt) that is our biggest issue this year ILO.

17th in the league for conceding a score when the ball enters our defensive 50 is an ugly stat.

Combination of not having a consistent lineup, missing Grimes, poor stoppage work and Tarrant getting towelled up by key fowards.

All true LD and some good stats. Tbh those numbers aren't surprising given Vlastuin and Grimes have hardly played, Gibcus and Miller have played a lot and Astbury and Houli have retired. It's an area of the ground that has been subject to a lot of upheaval.

The 17th for conceding a score in our defensive 50 is an interesting one, and I think that speaks to the midfield defensive pressure. Winning and losing clearances don't matter a hell of a lot if it's a rushed clearance or if you're able to force a kick out wider. It seems to me:

1. when we win the clearance, we are easily intercepted and burned the other way.
2. when we lose the clearance, not enough pressure is applied to negatively affect the opposition's kick forward.

Those two things are a bad mix for a defence already missing some very good players and playing some new or inexperienced players.

Reactions: 1 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Calm down everyone.
He’s just a gap fill player
Not like he’s playing on next year.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Balta looked like the next young Rance in defence. Then we moved him forward.

I think part of the problem structurally is actually Robbie Tarrant who's more like an old Rance.

He's no David Astbury prototype.

Maybe the talk shouldn't be whether Jack R is past it..rather is Robbie Tarrant past it?

Biggy, Miller, Gibcus & Balta should be our future key defenders.

Think different Tigers.

zgod

Tiger Legend
Feb 25, 2008
Balta looked like the next young Rance in defence. Then we moved him forward.

I think part of the problem structurally is actually Robbie Tarrant who's more like an old Rance.

He's no David Astbury prototype.

Maybe the talk shouldn't be whether Jack R is past it..rather is Robbie Tarrant past it?

Biggy, Miller, Gibcus & Balta should be our future key defenders.

Think different Tigers.
Yep.
I would like to see Gibcus play as much as possible with Taz playing here and there as support.
Not sure this is what we sold him though.
Gibcus will be a star

Reactions: 1 user

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
This reminds me of when we recruited Mark Graham to fill a gap while youngsters develop. Gibcus, Miller and Biggie still have a way to go. Next year they'll all be clocking the miles up while Grimes, V and Broad school them.

Reactions: 6 users

tora

Tiger Rookie
Dec 10, 2021
This reminds me of when we recruited Mark Graham to fill a gap while youngsters develop. Gibcus, Miller and Biggie still have a way to go. Next year they'll all be clocking the miles up while Grimes, V and Broad school them.
Tarrant was supposed to be a plug and play Astbury replacement. So we could have a crack at a flag. I thought Tarrant was unnecessary. Miller and biggie have been in our system long enough to know the game plan. We have Grimes, Broad, vlas, short etc back there to help the young players where to position.
If we didn't have Tarrant, Balta could have stayed back. I like what Balta is doing up fwd but it's not winning us games. Maybe Miller could have trained as a backup kpf. 2 rucks plan didn't work so far. 5 games in and there's issues with our preferred set up. I love gibcus and he's exceeding expectations. I think Miller is like Ross and defer to senior players too much.
(Dusty returns and we go undefeated. Win the flag again. All part of the dimma plan)

Last edited: