Sam Lloyd | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sam Lloyd

Re: Welcome Sam Lloyd

davidrodan said:
How bout Floyd?

for some reason 'pink' or even 'pinky' sounds like your trying to be, subtly, rude ;D
If he helps us win a flag I'll be happy to get comfortably numb.

Yosemite+Sam+ysguns2.gif

If he was wearing no. 30 at training today he looked the goods. And I am 98% sure it was him.

Scrap that. Stig said that was batsanis.

Stylo said:
Nathan G Brown mkII

Hopefully
Phhhht! How about we just worry about him being Sam Lloyd, hopefully competent AFL footballer before we tag him. Poor bastard hasn't even survived his first pre season with us yet.

Stylo said:
Nathan G Brown mkII

Hopefully

He'll have to be if he's to succeed in the role, very few guys make it as a small marking forward. I'd probably even downgrade the expectations to a Giansiricusa or Porplysia type role. The thing with Lloyd is he doesn't have that whippet-like pace, fantastic mark but will 181cm be enough to fully capitalise on his primary strength?

As for Nathan Brown clones, just wait for Billings to light up the stage. He's the closest thing to Brownie that I've seen in a long time.

Hehe, was kinda taking the mickey. Brown is a lofty target.

I do think he'll be a decent player though. I reckon BH you're selling him a bit short on his ground level game. He's a very good mark but also smart with ball in hand. Look forward to seeing more of him.

Stylo said:
I do think he'll be a decent player though. I reckon BH you're selling him a bit short on his ground level game. He's a very good mark but also smart with ball in hand. Look forward to seeing more of him.

He's not what I'd consider a natural crumbing forward, certainly not from the footage I've seen. The lion's share of his goals come directly from marking situations or one on one contests. At VFL level that can stand out, but at the highest level it can be a hard game to maintain. On the bright side, he played really well at state level so let's hope there's plenty of improvement left.

bullus_hit said:
He's not what I'd consider a natural crumbing forward, certainly not from the footage I've seen. The lion's share of his goals come directly from marking situations or one on one contests.

Don't know which footage you've been watching but in the 3 minute highlight reel on the Tiger website, I counted no less than 7 crumbing and/or snap shot style goals. Not too mention the beautiful pickups and evasion and pinpoint passes to teammates from up the ground. They don't look more natural than he does. Of course the question remains whether he can take the step up to AFL, afterall he was only Pick 66, so there are no guarantees, but gee he looks pretty prospective.

GoodOne said:
Don't know which footage you've been watching but in the 3 minute highlight reel on the Tiger website, I counted no less than 7 crumbing and/or snap shot style goals. Not too mention the beautiful pickups and evasion and pinpoint passes to teammates from up the ground. They don't look more natural than he does. Of course the question remains whether he can take the step up to AFL, afterall he was only Pick 66, so there are no guarantees, but gee he looks pretty prospective.

I've gone over a fair bit of Frankston footage (Youtube is your friend) and my initial judgement still stands, Lloyd relies very heavily on marking and 1V1 contests. His reading of the play is reasonable without being outstanding, and he doesn't possess the weapons that the top echelon of small forwards have in spades - pace, elite agility & silky skills at ground level. His marking is outstanding but just how far this will take him is debatable. His tank is also a work in progress and subsequently leaves him behind Gordon, Banfield & McDonough with regards to match readiness. If he makes the grade, I believe it will be more in the Porplyzia mould than say a Betts, Garlett or Walters. With Lennon the frontrunner, and Gordon & Banfield bringing more to the table, it will be an uphill battle for Lloyd, at least in the short term.

Update on Sam from a good friend who knows Sam.
* He is loving the RFC, not a bad bloke there
* Training is super hard, even the seasoned players say they are getting a flogging
* Cotchy is his mentor of sorts, best bloke ever
* He has dropped about 3-4kgs but has been told he needs to improve his running, which he focused on over Xmas
* Club has high ambitions for 2014....HIGH

Ghost of 29 said:
Update on Sam from a good friend who knows Sam.
* He is loving the RFC, not a bad bloke there
* Training is super hard, even the seasoned players say they are getting a flogging
* Cotchy is his mentor of sorts, best bloke ever
* He has dropped about 3-4kgs but has been told he needs to improve his running, which he focused on over Xmas
* Club has high ambitions for 2014....HIGH

Thanks for the heads up Ghost, all very good to hear!

bullus_hit said:
I've gone over a fair bit of Frankston footage (Youtube is your friend) and my initial judgement still stands, Lloyd relies very heavily on marking and 1V1 contests. His reading of the play is reasonable without being outstanding, and he doesn't possess the weapons that the top echelon of small forwards have in spades - pace, elite agility & silky skills at ground level. His marking is outstanding but just how far this will take him is debatable. His tank is also a work in progress and subsequently leaves him behind Gordon, Banfield & McDonough with regards to match readiness. If he makes the grade, I believe it will be more in the Porplyzia mould than say a Betts, Garlett or Walters. With Lennon the frontrunner, and Gordon & Banfield bringing more to the table, it will be an uphill battle for Lloyd, at least in the short term.
Beat home vlastuin and McDonough in the pre Xmas 2 k time trial...

Reservoirtiger said:
Beat home vlastuin and McDonough in the pre Xmas 2 k time trial...

Difficult to know whether Vlastuin or McDonough are down on match fitness or Lloyd has exceeded expectations. McDonough has also racked up big possession tallies at VFL level, something which Sam is yet to achieve. In any case, he'll need to lift a couple notches to earn a spot. There's a big queue vying for the HFF role and fitness will play a central role.