Sam Lloyd | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sam Lloyd

Re: Welcome Sam Lloyd

taraba said:
Hmmm off the top of my head Mark Lecras, Eddie Betts, Jason Porplyzia and Angus Monfries are a few that come to mind that aren't 'uber-quick' with outstanding agility who go alright.

Stephen Milne went ok for a slow small too. And Chapman isn't particularly quick. I'd like to see a comparison between all current 'slow' and 'quick' smalls. Think the tortoises might go ok.

tigs2010 said:
Forgot we could have cut Derickx. Was obvious we didn't want to take more than 38 but you're right about Derickx. However, Hannath hasn't done anything to warrant worrying about it.

Still a whipper snapper in ruck terms, he's got really good skills for a bigman and can take a strong contested mark. I think he'll get some good opportunites in 2014.

bullus_hit said:
Still a whipper snapper in ruck terms, he's got really good skills for a bigman and can take a strong contested mark. I think he'll get some good opportunites in 2014.
No doubt, but I don't think he's going to be one we look back and say I wish we had him.

Jackson said Lloyd could play midfielder and that's great but would we really need him to leave the goals?

Mids now include foley Jacko knights lids S Edwards Grigg Cotchin Martin Helbig Conca Arnott Ellis Vlastuin McDonough Williams Lennon and maybe Gordon. And that's with the rookie draft to be concluded

tigs2010 said:
Hannath went before Stephenson for a start. This year the club didn't specifically go out and try recruit mature-aged players. They've recruited the best available player according to them. It's just turned out that way, that we've got 2 state-league players on the list. It's a shame that with the way it's panned out it looks like they've topped up and ignored the future but that's just the way it is. I suspect they go best available in the rookie draft too. Hopefully that doesn't include Thomas now that we've got some ready to go players, they don't see a need for him and can go best available. I am worried they've promised him a spot.

I Agree with Bullus on this Topic tbh Tig's

Personally think that our mind was made up before the draft that at #50 we would take Gordon & #66 We would take Lloyd if they were available still

Personally if we had Wilson #50 & Templeton #66 with Gordon & Lloyd Rookies i would have rated our draft alot better

DirtyDogTiger said:
Jackson said Lloyd could play midfielder and that's great but would we really need him to leave the goals?

Mids now include foley Jacko knights lids S Edwards Grigg Cotchin Martin Helbig Conca Arnott Ellis Vlastuin McDonough Williams Lennon and maybe Gordon. And that's with the rookie draft to be concluded

perhaps with the new interchange cap we want/need as many players that can rotate over the ground as possible, with the depth we have, although there's always more needed we would rather ready to go players as opposed to getting players that need 2-3 years to develope before they are ready to go. especially non KPP's

turk-d-tiger said:
I Agree with Bullus on this Topic tbh Tig's

Personally think that our mind was made up before the draft that at #50 we would take Gordon & #66 We would take Lloyd if they were available still

Personally if we had Wilson #50 & Templeton #66 with Gordon & Lloyd Rookies i would have rated our draft alot better
I know for 100% fact that didn't happen hence I've kept pointing it out. Gordon would have gone by 66. As did a number of other options we liked both at 50/66. People like to pot the club because we didn't take players they liked and tbh I can't be *smile* pointing out they are wrong anymore. People can just be upset about it.

Jonesracing82 said:
perhaps with the new interchange cap we want/need as many players that can rotate over the ground as possible, with the depth we have, although there's always more needed we would rather ready to go players as opposed to getting players that need 2-3 years to develope before they are ready to go. especially non KPP's
agree

tigs2010 said:
I know for 100% fact that didn't happen hence I've kept pointing it out. Gordon would have gone by 66. As did a number of other options we liked both at 50/66. People like to pot the club because we didn't take players they liked and tbh I can't be *smile*ed pointing out they are wrong anymore. People can just be upset about it.

Yep, to take it to the ridiculous, would we stil have taken Gordon at 50 if Tom Boyd was still available? Of course not. The club has a list of players in the order they would like them and who we get at 50 depends on what happens beforehand. I doubt we were always going to pick Gordon at 50 regardless.

Contrary to the direction of thought, after only one VFL preseason I actually don’t see Llyod as a guaranteed ‘plug and play’ player.

Lloyd is old is age years, but he’s young in professional football years. It might take him a season to adjust to top level fitness requirements.

I am really interested by the pick, we’ll see how he plays, but we needed some goal kicking x-factor.

Col.W.Kurtz said:
I am really interested by the pick, we’ll see how he plays, but we needed some goal kicking x-factor.

Who'd you have in mind at pick 66?

GoodOne said:
Who'd you have in mind at pick 66?

I like the pick, bush football legend, bit of x-factor, potentially has some upside because of his unconventional background. He’s an intriguing prospect and the worst case scenario is he doesn’t adjust to AFL fitness levels and is cut at the end of the year.

My point was that he’s not the typical VFL recruit whose done 3 preseason at AFL clubs and been around the ‘system’ for a long time.

Intrigued by Lloyd's potential, but I doubt he's a plug and play.

Certainly not in the way dimma likes our small forwards to harass, pressure and generally scrap like junkyard dogs.

We're worried about kingy's fitness. All we had as cover this year was titch, and he was running mid.

Lloyd is depth only in 2014, and perhaps for his entire AFL career.

Col.W.Kurtz said:
My point was that he’s not the typical VFL recruit whose done 3 preseason at AFL clubs and been around the ‘system’ for a long time.

ok gotcha. Yes I think it's good to think outside the square. It will be an interesting comparison of progress from here between Lloyd and Gordon for this very reason.

GoodOne said:
Yep, to take it to the ridiculous, would we stil have taken Gordon at 50 if Tom Boyd was still available? Of course not. The club has a list of players in the order they would like them and who we get at 50 depends on what happens beforehand. I doubt we were always going to pick Gordon at 50 regardless.
Apparently we would have. Maybe it would have been Thorp instead if we needed a KPF. :hihi

If he fails, he fails. At the very least we are targeting SLR's in areas that we have weaknesses in.

Method is fine, the right pick for the spot in the draft. Only gets a one year deal so the fallout isn't to bad if he fails.

These two picks are another indicator to me that we are trying to free up cap space to make a big swing at the free agency class next year.

SCOOP said:
These two picks are another indicator to me that we are trying to free up cap space to make a big swing at the free agency class next year.

Or room to hold our current crop of youngsters without pressure.

Col.W.Kurtz said:
Contrary to the direction of thought, after only one VFL preseason I actually don’t see Llyod as a guaranteed ‘plug and play’ player.

Lloyd is old is age years, but he’s young in professional football years. It might take him a season to adjust to top level fitness requirements.

True but he played a full season plus state game in the VFL so he clearly has the fitness for that level. Add to that he has constantly played for the past few years in the country and mornington peninsula league, so yes he will need to build his fitness to AFL but he will already be at a pretty good level..if he is dedicated it won't be an issue.

Ghost of 29 said:
True but he played a full season plus state game in the VFL so he clearly has the fitness for that level. Add to that he has constantly played for the past few years in the country and mornington peninsula league, so yes he will need to build his fitness to AFL but he will already be at a pretty good level..if he is dedicated it won't be an issue.

No fitness base prepares someone for what is required at AFL level. He's miles off AFL condition, shape and tank. But that's ok for the first 12 months.