SHOULD CLUBS CHALLENGE RESULTS? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

SHOULD CLUBS CHALLENGE RESULTS?

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
If you took it to intergalactic court in The Hague,

the AFL would go

'Nah, we ticked that off'

On the 'we beat ourselves' school of thought;

Its a bit like victim blaming i reckon.

Bloke goes out in a crop top and cutoff shorts and gets really pissed and falls asleep in the gutter,

And gets raped,

He didnt do it to himself.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
last nights decision, plus the bad call against Sydney when Warner kicks into the 2nd tier is absolute farcical. on both occasions the umpires have done the opposite of what‘s been adjudicated all year.
BTW, Lynch is terrible from that pocket, how many of us said to ourselves “he’ll miss this”
Was just going to post that the two most controversial free kicks this season have gone against us, coincidence..................................:mad:

Reactions: 1 user

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
One of the biggest issues I have with AFL supporters is that no one takes the fight up to city hall. We just bend over and cop it with no complaints. Every. Single. Time. Thursday night footy is the case in point.

Footy clubs are the same. Why does the RFC never question the days and times of our matches? Why do we never question the umpires or the controversies that we always seem to be on the wrong side of?

Sure, maybe the club does this behind the scenes, but at some point, you need to communicate this to the fans… because right now many of us are of the view the RFC is a lap dog of the AFL.

The alternate view to what you have presented is that the club doesn't do that because they don't have an issue with the AFL, accept there are swings and roundabouts in sport and you sometimes you get the rub of the green and sometimes you don't.

And for the most part they feel the AFL does a pretty good job of running the competition.

It's a highly unpopular view but it is plausible as an explanation as to why you never hear the reactions you are seeking.

Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Conspiracy brain says - first they (the footy illuminate) slid us to Thursday night, then they released the dusty tape just as our players were settling into beddibyes and the the royal flush umpiring on game day. I agree. But it’s just as easy to decide that our *smile* house decision making, composure and skill execution cost us on the night and the extra pressure that placed us in an away final was self inflicted. I choose option b. As there is more the club can control in that thinking. It does not mean the afl is not corrupt though, it is. Anything that is competitive and relies on big money to operate is easily corruptable. Politics, government contracts, policing, supermarket pricing etc etc!

I think we all know that Richmond should have won that game and, had we played maybe 0.5% better, or just made a few better decisions we would have won. No argument there, that is our fault.

But, it is also the case that the decision made on Lynch's goal was not only ludicrous, it was in clear contravention of the rules as laid down by the AFL, and it cost us the game. Despite everything else we did, it remains the case that one bad decision, an absolute howler, cost us the game.

The non-50m penalty in the Swans game was also clearly contrary to the rules as laid down by the AFL.

They break their own rules and get away with it constantly. I don't know how you even start to make such a corrupt, opaque, boy's club accountable, but complaining behind closed doors is clearly a failed strategy. Tried it, and I'm sure other clubs have too, and it has clearly not worked. Something else must be done.

How long do we allow the AFL to destroy our great game? This is an organisation which runs a sport which has massive buy in from fans who support their clubs/teams through thick and thin, yet the AFL is universally reviled.

DS

• Dislike
Reactions: 10 users

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
I think we all know that Richmond should have won that game and, had we played maybe 0.5% better, or just made a few better decisions we would have won. No argument there, that is our fault.

But, it is also the case that the decision made on Lynch's goal was not only ludicrous, it was in clear contravention of the rules as laid down by the AFL, and it cost us the game. Despite everything else we did, it remains the case that one bad decision, an absolute howler, cost us the game.

The non-50m penalty in the Swans game was also clearly contrary to the rules as laid down by the AFL.

They break their own rules and get away with it constantly. I don't know how you even start to make such a corrupt, opaque, boy's club accountable, but complaining behind closed doors is clearly a failed strategy. Tried it, and I'm sure other clubs have too, and it has clearly not worked. Something else must be done.

How long do we allow the AFL to destroy our great game? This is an organisation which runs a sport which has massive buy in from fans who support their clubs/teams through thick and thin, yet the AFL is universally reviled.

DS

What irks me media got no balls to go hard at them the afl all yes men. Like you said we copped 2 bewildering decisions this year cost us games and afl doesn’t own it pathetic.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
So is there an legal appeals process that could be enacted - Cripps got off on a technicality cause the tribunal didn’t follow it’s own rules even though it was pretty obvious Cripps was guilty - there is generally an excepted consensus view that the AFL didn’t follow due process with the score review.

Putting out a bland statement without evidence doesn’t cut it now in a professional business sporting landscape.

Question - can the AFL legally overturn a result ala siren gate in Launceston? If they can we should have at least pushed the AFL through an appeals process. Most change only occurs when somebody (s) agitate.

No point complaining if we then don’t do anything about it.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Problem is not the score review but our own dumbass players.

Lynch hailed as such a great full forward misses from 2m out

4 yes 4 of our experienced players knock each other over and fail to punch the ball through for a point

Dumb dumb dumb

The club cannot make any genuine case to review the decision when it is our own stupid fault

Exactly. How we could lose to that rabble there beggars belief.

We lost, own it.

And to make matters worse if we got over them we'd be playing a rubbish Melbourne at the G next week.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria

We lost, own it.

And to make matters worse if we got over them we'd be playing a rubbish Melbourne at the G next week.
That’s right, Ant. We’ve done it all year. Failed to put games away. If we do that we don’t allow dodgy calls to come into it.

tha8ball

Tiger Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Oh East Melbourne!

We lost, own it.

Hard to swallow isn’t it. Even without Prestia - Melbourne would’ve been very beatable especially with Petracca injured. Would’ve been a prelim vs Geelong. Geez

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Its all about accountability. There is none. If there was any accountability there would have been a review of the ARC ages ago and it would have been radically overhauled and upgraded, or scrapped.

This is normal modus operandi for the AFL, make a show of good practice, which is the official ARC process, on-field call requires conclusive evidence to overturn, but then routinely, randomly, arbitrarily ignore it. You can't do that if there is an accountability mechanism, especially not repeatedly. They always do the same thing in response to the inevitable legimate criticism, 'tick it off', then go to ground until it blows over.

Was talking to a fellow tiger mate who is a company CEO, he is just amazed that it happened, asked the question is the ARC guy corrupt or leant on to be biased, or an idiot with no concept of dimension or geometry?

Objectively, by the AFLs own official process, and physical reality, it was incompetent or corrupt, or both maybe.

Reactions: 7 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003

We lost, own it.

They aren't a rabble, they are at worst a good side. Lachie Neale played one of the great finals games, we had 5 very inexperienced players in the side, and we lost or best midfielder at half time.

It doesn't beggar belief that we lost, not at all. We could have won it, and without the ARC farce we would have, but it doesn't beggar belief that we lost.

I'm very pissed off with the AFL about the ARC though, separate issue.

Reactions: 5 users

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
The game should just be umpired properly and fairly.

If this was the case, we would have won 6 flags in a row including this year lol

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
They aren't a rabble, they are at worst a good side. Lachie Neale played one of the great finals games, we had 5 very inexperienced players in the side, and we lost or best midfielder at half time.

It doesn't beggar belief that we lost, not at all. We could have won it, and without the ARC farce we would have, but it doesn't beggar belief that we lost.

I'm very pissed off with the AFL about the ARC though, separate issue.

Sure snakey, that's one point of view. Melbourne smashed the Lions a week ago though and put them into the elimination final slot, and their captain was a joke for his tough guy antics. They were mentally shot, and ripe for the picking. They should have been smashed and most other sides in the top 8 would have done so. Losing Prestia hurt, but they had players out pre-game as well, Rayner, a key defender (forget who) and Lyon. And they lost McInerney as well. Dimma had to do something to lock Neale down - sure, we had no Graham but he could have tried something. Lynch should have kicked that goal, and we all know it was a point, ARC stuff-ups regardless.

Just watch Melbourne belt them at the G next week.

It's our season in microcosm - a great success in bringing new players through, a total disaster in terms of losing games we should win, and this was one of those.

I just hope we haven't handed Geelong a flag.

• Dislike

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Sure snakey, that's one point of view. Melbourne smashed the Lions a week ago though and put them into the elimination final slot, and their captain was a joke for his tough guy antics. They were mentally shot, and ripe for the picking. They should have been smashed and most other sides in the top 8 would have done so. Losing Prestia hurt, but they had players out pre-game as well, Rayner, a key defender (forget who) and Lyon. And they lost McInerney as well. Dimma had to do something to lock Neale down - sure, we had no Graham but he could have tried something. Lynch should have kicked that goal, and we all know it was a point, ARC stuff-ups regardless.

Just watch Melbourne belt them at the G next week.

It's our season in microcosm - a great success in bringing new players through, a total disaster in terms of losing games we should win, and this was one of those.

I just hope we haven't handed Geelong a flag.
Neale, Bailey, Zorko, Hipwood, Cameron didn't look mentally shot to me. I think the opposite was true, they were galvanised by that controversy.

I don't know it was a point, I think it was a goal so speak for yourself, I have faith in the ump, the trained pro in the perfect posi.

Melbourne should bounce back, if they do they will beat Brisbane and IMO would have beaten us, if they play like that again, Bris or us could and should beat them.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Its all about accountability. There is none. If there was any accountability there would have been a review of the ARC ages ago and it would have been radically overhauled and upgraded, or scrapped.

This is normal modus operandi for the AFL, make a show of good practice, which is the official ARC process, on-field call requires conclusive evidence to overturn, but then routinely, randomly, arbitrarily ignore it. You can't do that if there is an accountability mechanism, especially not repeatedly. They always do the same thing in response to the inevitable legimate criticism, 'tick it off', then go to ground until it blows over.

Was talking to a fellow tiger mate who is a company CEO, he is just amazed that it happened, asked the question is the ARC guy corrupt or leant on to be biased, or an idiot with no concept of dimension or geometry?

Objectively, by the AFLs own official process, and physical reality, it was incompetent or corrupt, or both maybe.
Whoever was overseeing the ARC had probably made up their mind, based on Lynch’s reaction, what the score was before it was referred. From there it’s easy to overrule the goal umpire (probably why it was so quick) and because of the AFL’s lack of accountability, it goes through. They’ll sign off on anything as long as they don’t have to admit to making a mistake. The entire umpiring and rules area needs to be free of the likes of Scott, Gilligan and the rest of them. As long as they have control over it this sort of thing is going to continue, and we all know that when they have positions to fill there’s no way anyone with a shred of integrity will be appointed.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
the Arc in its current format is actually ok (not perfect) if they only followed their own rules that they put in place. But the guy who has been appointed to make the decisions seems to have no idea and I'm not just talking about our decision.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
the Arc in its current format is actually ok (not perfect) if they only followed their own rules that they put in place. But the guy who has been appointed to make the decisions seems to have no idea and I'm not just talking about our decision.
Its the same in the NRL, not as bad because the angles are easier to manage camera-wise, and also cricket, they were brought in to make it predictable and rational, but after getting on 10 years or so, it hasn't. Its thrown up whole new ways to stuff things up.