SHOULD CLUBS CHALLENGE RESULTS? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

SHOULD CLUBS CHALLENGE RESULTS?

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Its the same in the NRL, not as bad because the angles are easier to manage camera-wise, and also cricket, they were brought in to make it predictable and rational, but after getting on 10 years or so, it hasn't. Its thrown up whole new ways to stuff things up.
I reckon cricket has got it right. If you accept the ball tracking as fact (which at times it doesn't look logical) then the system they now have is pretty good.

Reactions: 2 users

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
Regardless how crap we played, ultimately the game was decided by an incorrect decision by ARC. We're not talking the subjective decision of an umpire. The mechanism that is supposed to provide its objective ruling was applied incorrectly and came up with an indefensible position. We'd be nuts as an organisation to let this die without a whelp. The fact we made plenty of mistakes and it shouldn't have come down to the ARC decision is a totally different discussion.

Reactions: 7 users

OldTiger1967

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 3, 2017
Thinking about this discussion - the AFL Corporate control every facet of the elite game. Therefore,

1. If a club challenges a rule or incorrect decision that club will get *smile* all when the financial assistance is decided on who gets what
2. You reckon the umpires are bad now - they would be way worse if we questioned their ultimate bosses.
3. Media are ever cognisant of the AFL Corporate's process of granting media rights - any poor press by those media outlets would place them at a disadvantage come media rights granting time.
4. The AFL sees any disenchantment from club fans as one eyed passion out of control and therefore should be ignored.

So much for the peoples game?

Reactions: 1 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Just saw a complete looney on the news ... direct from the once great USA.
Last year, this particular nutjob hatched a cunning plan to overthrow an official result.

It got me thinking.... we have a man on the inside, so we don't even need to storm the podium on Grand Final day...

When the cup ambassador swings by during the week to check in with his foundation....

Let's take back what's been stolen... stick it in a cabinet with a blown up photo of THE goal... and send a picture to McLachlan!

No left foot

Tiger Rookie
Aug 30, 2020
Its all about accountability. There is none. If there was any accountability there would have been a review of the ARC ages ago and it would have been radically overhauled and upgraded, or scrapped.

This is normal modus operandi for the AFL, make a show of good practice, which is the official ARC process, on-field call requires conclusive evidence to overturn, but then routinely, randomly, arbitrarily ignore it. You can't do that if there is an accountability mechanism, especially not repeatedly. They always do the same thing in response to the inevitable legimate criticism, 'tick it off', then go to ground until it blows over.

Was talking to a fellow tiger mate who is a company CEO, he is just amazed that it happened, asked the question is the ARC guy corrupt or leant on to be biased, or an idiot with no concept of dimension or geometry?

Objectively, by the AFLs own official process, and physical reality, it was incompetent or corrupt, or both maybe.
ARC tech is operated by JAM TV which is run by Eddie Mcguire. Write him a nice letter on behalf of Richmond and Tom Lynch asking him to explain the flaws in the system.

• Angry

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
It was fairly obvious we were cheated re the Lynch goal even though he tried to be flash instead of going through the basics to ensure a goal but we would be on a slippery slope if we allowed any club to challenge the result of a game after completion. It would open a Pandora's box where each and every club will be challenging a close loss and winning a game will be decided in a court. May as well forget actually playing a game and just toss a coin instead.
Maybe drop the technology and leave it up to the goal umpires who are rarely far out on their calls

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
It was fairly obvious we were cheated re the Lynch goal even though he tried to be flash instead of going through the basics to ensure a goal but we would be on a slippery slope if we allowed any club to challenge the result of a game after completion. It would open a Pandora's box where each and every club will be challenging a close loss and winning a game will be decided in a court. May as well forget actually playing a game and just toss a coin instead.
Maybe drop the technology and leave it up to the goal umpires who are rarely far out on their calls
Used to be able to do something like that during the Argus system. It’s how Collingwood won their fabled 4th Premiership in a row back in the ‘30’s.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
I reckon cricket has got it right. If you accept the ball tracking as fact (which at times it doesn't look logical) then the system they now have is pretty good.
I generally agree, but it still throws up the odd head scratcher

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Pretty sure the AFL owns the licences, the colours and the logo's, plus they allocate the sharing n distribution of the shekels. They're currently thinking about how to licence a team in Tasmania n would also prefer to keep an even number of teams in the comp rather than stuff around with teams having a bye every round.
Wonder how long it would take for one stand alone club attacking HQ to curl up n die???

Reactions: 1 user

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania

Its more straight forward UKT- it not about challenging any result or decisions made on the ground by an umpire - it’s about challenging the AFL on the simple fact that they did not follow its defined process - ump claimed a goal - challenge why the ark decision making process didn’t follow their own rules and overruled the umps decision.

Its about keeping the AFL accountable. Processes are in place for this one very important reason.

Its about making sure that the AFL doesn’t introduce for example, new rules weeks out from a season without following their process - the AFL processes is that all new rules need to be trialled in a pre-season before being introduced.

Both theses examples are important as both these processes keeps the AFL accountable and transparent - what we are doing is simply making it harder for potential corrupt activities to enter our game.

Its hard to corrupt a fully transparent system.

Whats is stopping an official for example, to introduce on the eve of a season a weird ruling like say - teams only allowed to select 1 player over 2.1 metres tall when say a team (s) have spent off seasons and trade periods around say recruiting 3 dominant 211 cm players who play for a team the official doesn’t like.

What’s stopping the arc operators to be bribed to make a decision we witnessed on Thursday night - easy to do if they don’t need to show the evidence publically.

Who is to say the official on Thursday night isn’t a lions supporter, or is about to go on a lions sponsored trip around the world - we don’t know why he didn’t follow due process.

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Its more straight forward UKT- it not about challenging any result or decisions made on the ground by an umpire - it’s about challenging the AFL on the simple fact that they did not follow its defined process - ump claimed a goal - challenge why the ark decision making process didn’t follow their own rules and overruled the umps decision.

Its about keeping the AFL accountable. Processes are in place for this one very important reason.

Its about making sure that the AFL doesn’t introduce for example, new rules weeks out from a season without following their process - the AFL processes is that all new rules need to be trialled in a pre-season before being introduced.

Both theses examples are important as both these processes keeps the AFL accountable and transparent - what we are doing is simply making it harder for potential corrupt activities to enter our game.

Its hard to corrupt a fully transparent system.

Whats is stopping an official for example, to introduce on the eve of a season a weird ruling like say - teams only allowed to select 1 player over 2.1 metres tall when say a team (s) have spent off seasons and trade periods around say recruiting 3 dominant 211 cm players who play for a team the official doesn’t like.

What’s stopping the arc operators to be bribed to make a decision we witnessed on Thursday night - easy to do if they don’t need to show the evidence publically.

Who is to say the official on Thursday night isn’t a lions supporter, or is about to go on a lions sponsored trip around the world - we don’t know why he didn’t follow due process.
I get what you say and its is hard to refute it and I was probably being too simplistic. However the comment about about keeping the AFL accountable and transparent is a misnomer. On;y favoured sons seem to be able to enter AFL Towers so it is impossible to change the thinking of AFL when they make their own rules without any real negotiation. Unless all the AFL teams combine to fight back nothing will happen. That will never happen as certain teams seem to have new rules written round their needs and to curtail other teams despite ruining the game. The 'Stand' rule is one of them. I am not too impressed with the 6,6,6, rule either!
I only found footy in 2001 so a relative newcomer but even with my limited knowledge of the finer points of the game, I have watched with real concern how the AFL has progressively damaged the game with meddling and dare I say it, some corruption. I will stick to it and my Tigers till I drop but hope greater minds than mine will wake up and get footy back to what it should be, for the fans

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

The problem with this is that letting decisions like this stand without protest, a decision which clearly did not follow their own rules, means they continue to do whatever they like. Wrong decision that costs a final, a knock out final? No problem, just let it slide.

We should not accept this, it is clearly not good enough.

Is anyone seriously saying this is the standard we should accept?

DS

Reactions: 4 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I'm very pissed off with the AFL about the ARC though, separate issue.

I think its very important to separate the issues.

1. The governing bodies processes failed spectacularlly

2. Richmond werent good enough to win.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Lynch should have kicked that goal, and we all know it was a point, ARC stuff-ups regardless.
Huh? For a usually logical poster that’s a strange call.

If there wasn’t evidence of you being in the crowd I would assume you were running the ARC.

Have the AFL released exactly how the official decision was reached including the footage relied on? Just for transparency and all that?

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
We need to agitate for what the NBA have set up. An independent transparent accountable organisation who’s whole purpose is to increase the accuracy and speed of decision making and also Identify bias to have warning signals for gambling influences.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
Posters can pontify as much as they like about the mistakes we made as a team, but the reality is that despite those mistakes we still only lost by 3 points.

Explain then, why it's okay that Brisbane go forward in this finals series after having victory given to them by a scrore review and a series of soft holding decisions in their forward line, not withstanding the number of holding the ball decisions we didn't receive in our own forward line?

Yes, we made some glaring mistakes, but then how bad was Brisbane to need a score review to give them victory, when we made so many mistakes?

Why do we hav to be say 5 goals better than everyone else to cover these biases?

We would have been bck on our home deck this week against a poor Melbourne, having had a week to get the cobwebs from the break out of our system. The reality is that as a team, we have been within 6 points ov ever opponent in the last 18 matches. We had Geelong covered without Prestia, and after Geelong got a 6 goal break on us as we tried to shuffle the deck chairs after his injury.

This premiership is ripe for the taking as there is no real dominant team, and one of the better contenders is now on the sidelines while a pretender goes forward in our place.

I would have loved nothing more than to give Geelong yet another MCG finals nightmare.

Thats how i feel and it's sticking in my guts something shocking.

Reactions: 5 users

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
No one questions the afl is the problem we still get screwed if we do or don't so go ahead. We should be demanding this morning we're is the conclusive evidence it was a point and make it public cannot believe media keep quite this is cheating.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Huh? For a usually logical poster that’s a strange call.

If there wasn’t evidence of you being in the crowd I would assume you were running the ARC.

Have the AFL released exactly how the official decision was reached including the footage relied on? Just for transparency and all that?

Yeah the process was rubbish and broke their own rules, no doubt. Don't condone it at all.

Lynch's reaction told the story and no, ARC shouldn't take that into account either so don't @ me either.

Still spewing Lynch screwed the pooch and then 5 defenders screwed another closely related pooch 30 seconds later.

Richmondy.