Sydney Stack | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sydney Stack

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
IMO it speaks to how highly he is rated at the club. The coaches figured an underdone Stack was better than the next best option. They were wrong but it shows their thinking.

Maybe so, but it doesn't send the right message to those players who have put in the required training and discipline during iso.

Reactions: 3 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Yet in the past couple of games Shai has made a pretty good fist of playing midfield so lets hope the same happens with Syd.
Exactly.

even more of a risk having 2 mids without a tank
They can rotate and rest forward. We have more mid options this week, and everyone bar Dusty drops one in the pecking order with the return of the Chimpion.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Exactly.

They can rotate and rest forward. We have more mid options this week, and everyone bar Dusty drops one in the pecking order with the return of the Chimpion.

Exactly.
Dusty more time midfield this week depending on match ups.

One out.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Maybe so, but it doesn't send the right message to those players who have put in the required training and discipline during iso.

What kind of message would that be exactly?

“This will teach you how to handle an unprecedented pandemic lockdown you unprofessional interstate teenager!”

Dimma showing why he’s a master coach with his handling of Stack.

The poor form could be the best lesson he’ll ever get IMO

Reactions: 2 users

T-Shirt Tommy

Apr 11, 2011
What kind of message would that be exactly?

“This will teach you how to handle an unprecedented pandemic lockdown you unprofessional interstate teenager!”

Dimma showing why he’s a master coach with his handling of Stack.

The poor form could be the best lesson he’ll ever get IMO

It would send a wrong message to the other players that despite them putting in the required work, others who haven't will be picked before them.

And yes, it did send the wrong message to Stack (who incidentally has a history of being out of shape and has poor training standards - refer to Stig and Caesars training notes). If we keep rewarding Stack with games when he doesn't apply himself, how on earth can we expect him to learn about the fitness requirements of being a professional AFL footballer?

And Dimma showing why he's a master coach with his handling of Stack? Yeah, it was great - Stacks form was so bad that it played a major part in our losses earlier in the season. Losses that are accentuated in a shortened season and could cost us a finals spot.

BTW, Balta by his own admission came back in poor condition but was made to earn his spot back and look at him now. Same deal with Eggmolesse-Smith.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
love watching the stackman play - here's hoping he has a ripper game and cements his spot.

Reactions: 4 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Good lucky to Stacky, I hope he plays mid/forward. If does, I'll put him down for 2 goals.

Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
It would send a wrong message to the other players that despite them putting in the required work,

you can't just select the hardest working blokes.

Football talent, form and role/need will be the 3 heaviest weighted selection criteria until the end of time.

Stackman is clearly best available on criteria 1 and 3 and he's got the only real opportunity he'll get in Covid footy to tick criteria 2 tonight

I'll back him in.

got a bit fat 3 months ago? likes the odd zinger burger? dances Tik Tok like theres no-one watching?

Perhaps.

But this is kid is Tough and is a superbly balanced footballer

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017

Football talent, form and role/need will be the 3 heaviest weighted selection criteria until the end of time.

Stackman is clearly best available on criteria 1 and 3 and he's got the only real opportunity he'll get in Covid footy to tick criteria 2 tonight

I'll back him in.

got a bit fat 3 months ago? likes the odd zinger burger? dances Tik Tok like theres no-one watching?

Perhaps.

But this is kid is Tough and is a superbly balanced footballer

*smile* oath. Steve Morris would have played 300 games if hardest working was the main criteria. Stack is a star in the making. He's got plenty of taillights to follow at the tigers. He might occasionally go off course but you've gotta indulge talent a little.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I’m sorta hoping Dimma puts him up forward with a short stint or 2 on the ball and says “just play”.

T-Shirt Tommy

Apr 11, 2011

Totally agree, no use selecting hard working plodders who butcher the ball. But you also can't select the supremely skilled who won't do the hard yards.

Anyhoo, he's in tonight and I hope that the kid smashes it.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
It would send a wrong message to the other players that despite them putting in the required work, others who haven't will be picked before them.

And yes, it did send the wrong message to Stack (who incidentally has a history of being out of shape and has poor training standards - refer to Stig and Caesars training notes). If we keep rewarding Stack with games when he doesn't apply himself, how on earth can we expect him to learn about the fitness requirements of being a professional AFL footballer?

And Dimma showing why he's a master coach with his handling of Stack? Yeah, it was great - Stacks form was so bad that it played a major part in our losses earlier in the season. Losses that are accentuated in a shortened season and could cost us a finals spot.

BTW, Balta by his own admission came back in poor condition but was made to earn his spot back and look at him now. Same deal with Eggmolesse-Smith.

We’re both saying supremely talented kids need to learn to work hard, somehow.

There’s being told, and letting him find out for himself.

Dimma let him play and find out for himself. Hopefully this will dent his ego slightly and spark something inside him that comes from within.

It would’ve been easy for him to make excuses if they left him out of the team. It’s a pandemic lockdown. In his mind, he could’ve convinced himself he would’ve starred anyway. Instead, he played poorly and this forces him to learn an important lesson.

I agree it wasn’t the best decision for maximising our chances in a couple of early rounds, but Dimma’s decision might payoff more in the long run.

As for team morale and rewarding work ethic... these aren’t issues. At all. Dimma has other ways of maintaining an excellent work ethic within the group.

While a lesson does need to be taught, I think Dimma has been a modern day master of answering the question of “how”. He certainly brought out the best in Sydney in his first year, let’s give him time in year 2 before we criticise his approach.

Last edited:

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
I don’t actually. Actually want him to succeed, but
Very evident that all who watched training that he has come back not very fit . His work ethic isn’t good . You might find that you can have all the talent and ability in the world but if you don’t apply yourself and listen to what’s required you won’t be getting a game . Not a good listener
End of story .

Well on that basis he must have been applying himself and listened to what's required because he is getting a game.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Reality is that he hasn’t played a good game since round 18 last year and struggled this year

Since Round 18 last year? That's like 2 or 3 games because he then had a serious ankle injury basically putting him out of finals. This year many players have been lacking in form. Circumstances are unique so need to cut some slack. Stack is young but very talented. Of course he needs to work hard to make it. I'm not writing him off. He could become a very good player and deserves more opportunity to prove himself.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Yet in the past couple of games Shai has made a pretty good fist of playing midfield so lets hope the same happens with Syd.

He has been lightning in 1st halves and tapered off in 2nd halves. I wonder if that's a fitness thing.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I'm not sure he has the work ethic to match his talent.

Be interested in what the guys watching live make of his efforts.

Even on the TV you could tell he was struggling to make contests or to follow his man when the dogs were coming out of defence. Still no tank.

And yet some beautiful little timed handpasses. He just has to get fit.