Tom Browne | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tom Browne

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
Smoking Aces said:
Tom Browne

Certainly not in business of making stuff up jack. I’m getting on these days, and have a few reliable sources up my sleeve. No surgery, as I reported, which is great. You’re a champion of the game, which is better when you’re playing. Hope you get back ASAP. And wish you the best

Now for Jacks reply

Tom it couldn’t have been true. You posted your so called information from a source at midday today and I didn’t have a scan until 3.30pm. You’ve either got the ability to time travel or you guessed....

They brought this up on triple m this morning. I nearly screamed. Fat ed and darcy were basically talking *smile* defending browneye. They said at the end of the day browneye was right, completely ignoring what was stated, in that Riewoldt had the scan at 3.30 so how could he know what the result would be at midday, 3+ hours BEFORE the scan took place. What made me shake my head was that McGuire said that browneye obviously had a source at the medical centre that knew the result. But again, ignoring the fact that this "source" knew the result before the scan even took place. The source must have the surname Nostradamus.
Browneye had a 50/50 punt on the result and got it right. Flipping a coin doesn't make you a good journalist.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Legends of 2017 said:
They brought this up on triple m this morning. I nearly screamed. Fat ed and darcy were basically talking sh!t defending browneye. They said at the end of the day browneye was right, completely ignoring what was stated, in that Riewoldt had the scan at 3.30 so how could he know what the result would be at midday, 3+ hours BEFORE the scan took place. What made me shake my head was that McGuire said that browneye obviously had a source at the medical centre that knew the result. But again, ignoring the fact that this "source" knew the result before the scan even took place. The source must have the surname Nostradamus.
Browneye had a 50/50 punt on the result and got it right. Flipping a coin doesn't make you a good journalist.
I’d imagine Edward would have had a totally different take on Browne’s reporting if it was a Collingwood player, greatest hypocrite on the planet

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Jack needs to take it further on his afl360 platform to expose this knob.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
All the media are out to protect this flog over this issue with Jack.

After Footy Classified some other crap show called The Oval Office came on hosted by Sam McClure. McClure asked Goldstein about the issue with Jack and he'd stated that all the players want is someone to present the truth. McClure said he had no problem about what Tom had done as it appears he was right, again ignoring the fact that the scans hadn't taken place and this was a complete guess.

Ironic that the question he'd posed Goldy was around whether the players and the media were at war, and Goldy actually said that the media were a "necessary evil" which McClure didn't like. So McClure asks Goldy what the players want, Goldy says the players just want the truth reported and then McClure goes on and says that stuff about Jack that he doesn't see the issue as Brown was right. Ironic that he wants to know about the "war" and what the players want, gets told and then just says oh its ok that he guessed because he was right in the end. Rolls eyes. The media just don't get it.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
mrposhman said:
All the media are out to protect this flog over this issue with Jack.

After Footy Classified some other crap show called The Oval Office came on hosted by Sam McClure. McClure asked Goldstein about the issue with Jack and he'd stated that all the players want is someone to present the truth. McClure said he had no problem about what Tom had done as it appears he was right, again ignoring the fact that the scans hadn't taken place and this was a complete guess.

Ironic that the question he'd posed Goldy was around whether the players and the media were at war, and Goldy actually said that the media were a "necessary evil" which McClure didn't like. So McClure asks Goldy what the players want, Goldy says the players just want the truth reported and then McClure goes on and says that stuff about Jack that he doesn't see the issue as Brown was right. Ironic that he wants to know about the "war" and what the players want, gets told and then just says oh its ok that he guessed because he was right in the end. Rolls eyes. The media just don't get it.

Seen this a few times (by accident after FC finishes) and can't understand what it's supposed to prove. Too many 'footy' shows on TV nowadays.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
the thing that (dis)concerns me is that the media (and others) thinks this story between Browne Nose and Jack is important. The 'Tabloid' mentality that circulates the AFL is juvenile at best, and because it appeals to peoples sound-bite mentalities and fabricated busy life it makes me worry for the planet. Petty Blah Blah is taking over .. the world .
As far as Eddie Maguire goes, he is suffering a serious case of over exposure. I'm waiting for his head to explode.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
The media have decided they are the story. They dictate what's newsworthy and what isn't. They are doing it because of their twisted belief that the public have a right to know everything.

One of the broadcasts will latch onto an issue. Then every other AFL show will play the soundbite and continue banging that drum louder.

While there's no real proof, I'd say Croc Media have a meeting Sunday night to decide which AFL issue to push that week and all their shows push that agenda. It's about sensationalism and clickbait.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
The media will never bury the media. Accusations against them will only ever turn the story against you.

"Tweet was at midday, scans were 3 hours later" - leave it at that and let the public draw their own conclusion. If they steer the story to something else, just keep referring to the timing of the tweet vs scan and let the public be the judge.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Baloo said:
The media have decided they are the story. They dictate what's newsworthy and what isn't. They are doing it because of their twisted belief that the public have a right to know everything.

One of the broadcasts will latch onto an issue. Then every other AFL show will play the soundbite and continue banging that drum louder.

While there's no real proof, I'd say Croc Media have a meeting Sunday night to decide which AFL issue to push that week and all their shows push that agenda. It's about sensationalism and clickbait.

They call it “Croc Media” for a reason.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Plenty of media defending Tom Browne, they look after own.
When David King run up the arse of a taxi and fled the scene of the accident, it was reported in the media, but there was no big deal made of it.
Imagine if it was Dusty or any player for that matter, it would still be front page news. As i said they look after their own.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
tigerman said:
When David King run up the arse of a taxi and fled the scene of the accident, it was reported in the media, but there was no big deal made of it.
Imagine if it was Dusty or any player for that matter, it would still be front page news. As i said they look after their own.

Give King break.
Poor guy was drunk.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
tigerman said:

This

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
123kid said:
The media will never bury the media. Accusations against them will only ever turn the story against you.

Rupert Murdochs mantra right there 123

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Mr Brightside said:
I’d imagine Edward would have had a totally different take on Browne’s reporting if it was a Collingwood player, greatest hypocrite on the planet

Absolutely.... for a bloke keeps saying I'm just a journalist he's the first to play the man when it comes to anti Collingwood stories.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
TigerForce said:
Seen this a few times (by accident after FC finishes) and can't understand what it's supposed to prove. Too many 'footy' shows on TV nowadays.

It's weird....and why run it straight after another similar panel show? Unless, of course, the only way anyone would watch it is, like TF, by accident.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
22nd Man said:
It's weird....and why run it straight after another similar panel show? Unless, of course, the only way anyone would watch it is, like TF, by accident.

That was me last night too, by accident, no substance to the show whatsoever. Pointless, should have just gone to bed.

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Too many talking heads now when it comes to footy. Too much piffle and fluff that is held up as newsworthy.
Just a shame so many of the journos have so little of substance to say or present.
The biggest shame is that it won't get any better as time goes on. Most likely will spiral into a vacuous pile of abject nonsense.

Some may laugh at me, but I get my footy fix and info from PRE and while some of it is off the register at times I do find many of the posters insightful and knowledgeable.

RaoulJuke

Tiger Rookie
Sep 17, 2016
What Jack did to him was spot on for mine. Too much 'fake news' slips through these days. IF Browne is saying he should not question his sources, well - if you are literally reporting something that is 100% not true - then your source needs to be questioned. As a journalist must protect a source at all cost, this burden then falls onto YOU.

The AFL is, very very quickly, following the lead of the NBA these days which is - the most exciting narrative wins before anything else. Because of this, it has become a "players league". This means, the players decide who they want to play for - who they want to play with, and when they want to do it. From this empowerment you have seen a pretty strong shift in the control of who rules the relationship between the media & the players. Several players, have their own TV shows, podcast etc. Reporters don't get away with much. Journo's ask dumb questions, they literally get a response of 'NEXT QUESTION'.

I find it highly ironic that in a world where legit political reporters are being faced with jail time for reporting truths & are under immense pressure to expose sources that a total waste of space in Browne, reporting footy, is trying use those same ethics to defend his total willingness to report on fake news or at least, not fact check stuff his 'sources' tell him. If he legit walk past Jack in the car park during the time frame all this was happening live - how *smile* hard is it to stop and quickly ask, "just been told this - that true?"

But no - he had to be the first to report it. And boy o boy, wowie - are we all impressed he was able to "tell" us the news a full hour before Richmond would have told us anyway. What a 'reporter'