We can't hide from the fact we have a discipline problem | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

We can't hide from the fact we have a discipline problem

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Great posting all thread.

See, why would you need to read a newspaper for Richmond-related analysis?

Reactions: 1 user

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
Finally some common sense, 'discipline' did cost us the game, but not in the context of this thread and the media. i.e. NOT the 50m penalties. It was simple, we did not play our system well enough. Lack of discipline yes, but not of the sensationalist variety.

Prestia confirmed the club didn’t address giving away multiple 50-metre penalties specifically in their post-match review, rather choosing to focus on their mental lapses in the game more generally.

“We definitely didn’t watch (the 50-metre penalties we gave away) in the review,” he said on Sportsday.

“I know our mental side of the game has been documented pretty well in the last three or four years and it’s probably the work we do in that area (that we talked about), obviously we were distracted by the Brisbane Lions players instead of running back to positions defensively.

Reactions: 5 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Playing on the edge and being unsociable on the field I'm happy with. It's picking the right time to do it. Happy to give away a few free kicks here and there for being a little rough and stamping authority. When the game is in the balance and you have already given away a costly 50 then that's just dumb. Nothing tough about that. That's what we need to cut out. Happy for Lynchy to give ppl a head rub now and then.
I have never thought that we are particularly unsocialable (whatever that really means). Seems to have taken on a life of Its own.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
you mentioned the ethnicity of the two tigers and wondered what had been said to make them react so strongly. The unsubtle connection I made was that you thought they may have been racially abused.

I am about to vilify dane zorko, so look away now if youre his mum.

Zorko is a *smile*. A dumb, smart arse *smile*.

I wouldnt be at all surprised if he abused our brothers in an unacceptable fashion

Reactions: 6 users

JR8

Tiger Legend
Apr 23, 2003
Melbourne - Eastern Subs
That's exactly it. it's the massive discrepancy in the decision making by umpires in a game that's already grey.
I don't care if they're free kicks, 50m penalties or whatever...just be consistent during the game FFS.
Surely that's not too much to asK! :mad:

Exactly ToO.

Scary thing is, these umpires are meant to be the cream of the crop. Faaaaaaaaark me!

Reactions: 1 users

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
It's become an unfortunate trend that no holding the ball tackle is complete until you shove your opponent after the free is paid, and often even if you had no role in the tackle itself.

Annoys the hell out of me, next season they should reverse the kick the first 3 times it happens in round one and we won't see it again ever.
Yes. And kids copy it. Seen it numerous times at u8 and u9 level the last two seasons. Nip it in the bud.

Reactions: 3 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
BTW someone tweeted this morning that stats say Richmond has been last at giving away 50m this season.
Meaning we have given away the least, I take it? Or did he mean the most??

As I posted elsewhere, today I heard an SEN listener, Tiger man, say we have received 9 x 50m penalties against us in our last 6 x Qs of football playing the Lions. Not sure if that's correct, or where he got the stat from if so (LtRtR?).

But how common, how usual would that be, if correct? What might it indicate if true?

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
I am about to vilify dane zorko, so look away now if youre his mum.

Zorko is a *smile*. A dumb, smart arse *smile*.

I wouldnt be at all surprised if he abused our brothers in an unacceptable fashion
So what does that make *smile* Robinson? :confused:

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Boltons first 50 evolved after Oscar tackled him with Oscar getting a free kick .As he got up big brave Oscar gave Bolts a good shove into his chest. Bolts retaliated & got 50. Oscar try it on Dusty next time.

There were hints of a chicken-wing about that tackle too IMO. But, of course, it was a clear case of brutality and bullying on Shai's part and he, deserved all he copped for it for treating the big, gentle yOb like that.

It's totally unacceptable for a guy of 21yrs/175cm/77kg to intimidate an opponent of 26yrs/205cm/107kgs in such a callous manner!

As the Murdoch AFL media are informing everyone: RFC are undoubtedly a bunch of thugs who have only dominated the competition, to the chagrin of AFL henchmen along with aforementioned media, since 2017 due to their brutal, bullying tactics. The fact that they are often a younger, and especially shorter and lighter team on the oval, bears no relation to their ruthlessly barbaric conduct on the field.

The subsequent awarding of the most FF to the big yOb for the rest of the game were small compensation in hindsight. Upon checking this morning the big yOb was resting peacefully in his sick bed, and recovering from his wounds, bruises and lacerations under close medical supervision. The medicos are relieved to rule out the fear of internal injuries after x-rays cleared him this morning. In the grace of God we trust.

Reactions: 2 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Finally some common sense, 'discipline' did cost us the game, but not in the context of this thread and the media. i.e. NOT the 50m penalties. It was simple, we did not play our system well enough. Lack of discipline yes, but not of the sensationalist variety.

Prestia confirmed the club didn’t address giving away multiple 50-metre penalties specifically in their post-match review, rather choosing to focus on their mental lapses in the game more generally.

“We definitely didn’t watch (the 50-metre penalties we gave away) in the review,” he said on Sportsday.

“I know our mental side of the game has been documented pretty well in the last three or four years and it’s probably the work we do in that area (that we talked about), obviously we were distracted by the Brisbane Lions players instead of running back to positions defensively.

Yep. The boys would know they got sucked in a few times and won't do it again, at least not for a while. The 50s were a symptom, not the cause of the loss.

The game was lost mostly due to systems breakdown and that due to discipline sticking to those systems. They'll focus on that.

Reactions: 1 user

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
It seemed these trigger happy umpires did it for a half.

Even the reliable Shaun Ryan was coerced into it. AFL directive?
They got 5 goals from frees I have seen claimed from different posters although I cannot find verification on AFL stats, of course.

But whether 3 or 5. Did you think it wasn't enough? If anyone was going to influence a match, it would probably only take a sudden patch, at the top level of a sport (see cricket nobbling).

Overall FKs were 17/11 Lions. Happy now? Incidentally four players from both sides had <7 Ds. So a diff of 6 could be handy, especially when under no pressure like after a mark.
(Lucky I kept the paper. AFL match stats seem to get taken down a couple of days later. Funny.]

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Yep. The boys would know they got big yOb a few times and won't do it again, at least not for a while. The 50s were a symptom, not the cause of the loss.

The game was lost mostly due to systems breakdown and that due to discipline sticking to those systems. They'll focus on that.
Sure. But we can only be eternally grateful the steadfast umpires were not in the least 'sucked in' by anything. It's always great when they let the great, clean ball-players like Robinson and Zorko demonstrate the elite skills of the game, unimpeded by petty infringement violations such as simulation.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

I think they deliberately got under our skin, must be irritating bastards.

We need to watch out for this and make sure it doesn't happen again.

DS

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
There were hints of a chicken-wing about that tackle too IMO. But, of course, it was a clear case of brutality and bullying on Shai's part and he, deserved all he copped for it for treating the big, gentle yOb like that.

It's totally unacceptable for a guy of 21yrs/175cm/77kg to intimidate an opponent of 26yrs/205cm/107kgs in such a callous manner!

As the Murdoch AFL media are informing everyone: RFC are undoubtedly a bunch of thugs who have only dominated the competition, to the chagrin of AFL henchmen along with aforementioned media, since 2017 due to their brutal, bullying tactics. The fact that they are often a younger, and especially shorter and lighter team on the oval, bears no relation to their ruthlessly barbaric conduct on the field.

The subsequent awarding of the most FF to the big yOb for the rest of the game were small compensation in hindsight. Upon checking this morning the big yOb was resting peacefully in his sick bed, and recovering from his wounds, bruises and lacerations under close medical supervision. The medicos are relieved to rule out the fear of internal injuries after x-rays cleared him this morning. In the grace of God we trust.
Why are you limiting it to the Murdoch media?

However Bolton gets caught HTB too often without being able to draw a ball up.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
I have rewatched the controversial free kicks. It pains me to say they were probably there against us every week. Not many other clubs but us for sure. So we deal with it by;
If we hit our targets like normal and release the ball like normal at the first option we dont get wrapped up in umpiring hell.
Our hesitation cost us last week and caused us un RFC like skills. So many poor kicks. As soon as the first payer hesitates the loss of position snowballs to each other player.
We will be better this week.

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
I would love to meet Brisbane in a gf ,

That loss was probably coming , when you have a winning streak , you are the team that keeps serving up the same , why would you change the winning formula ?

They countered with something a little different from them , and good luck to them, it came off,

But it’s not a surprise second time around , we know what’s coming should we meet again . We go back to being the hunter not the hunted .

5SKULL5

What stands in the way, becomes the way!
Dec 20, 2004
Melbourne
What irritated me most was, ok Bolton got caught but the Bris player then shoved Bolton down with a flat hand to the throat. That started everything. Ump didn't have the balls to reverse it.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
What irritated me most was, ok Bolton got caught but the Bris player then shoved Bolton down with a flat hand to the throat. That started everything. Ump didn't have the balls to reverse it.

Could only reverse it if he saw it, and if he thought it was worth reversing.

But Bolton was silly. Anyone that's ever played a contact sport would have been taught from a young age that he/she who retaliates often is the one penalised.

Stoobes

Tiger Rookie
May 24, 2005
BTW someone tweeted this morning that stats say Richmond has been last at giving away 50m this season.
Reported in the paper yesterday we've given away 25 x 50m penalties this season, worst in the league. Next worst gave away only 17.
Once again we're down the bottom at 2nd last in free kick differential at -64. 3rd worse are only -44.
Pies at the pointy end again +76, #1 in the league.

I feel a bit of that free kick stuff is game style as it's been a common theme for the last 4-5 years.
Not quite ready to throw the tinfoil hat on yet but some of those 50m penalties were extremely hot.