Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett!

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
He's an unusual ruckman, but a good one. Dimma and Rattans references to it in their pressers was interesting. Dimma said members of the coaching panel had pushed it because he was good at it, had "jumped over" rucks in the WAFL. Ratten on the other hand didn't rate him and thought it was pathetic the couldn't take advantage when he was in the ruck, "no offence to Pickett, but he's not a ruckman".

I think he might actually be a good ruckman, when you factor in his leap, strength, and agility to follow up. As I said, there is a precedent, he reminded me of early career Darryl White, he'd go up in the ruck, then rove the tap regardless of whether he'd won it.

Reactions: 1 user

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I also believe he created a goal, when hill pooped his pants when he saw marlion was about to tackle him. Can't remember when in the game it was, but thought wow, he must have some presence on the footy field

That was his goal from 50. Seemed like a straightforward mark to Hill, he saw Marlion coming and pulled out, Marlion got the loose ball and smashed it home from 50.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I was at the ground but my immediate reaction when he tackled lonie in the last quarter was that the tackle was amazing, the speed and almost violence of it was breathtaking.
On the TV what was the reason for the free?
I wasn't sure either, but I assume as it was Lonie, a feigned for high tackle. Must have got 3 or 4 of them tonight.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
I also believe he created a goal, when hill pooped his pants when he saw marlion was about to tackle him. Can't remember when in the game it was, but thought wow, he must have some presence on the footy field

No shame in that. Gryan Miers has lived that scenario a number of times.

Reactions: 1 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Brutal game. You don’t appreciate his work without the footy unless you see him live at the game. Just works. And loves to hurt the opposition.
His workrate really showed Hill up tonight. I also love how hard he hits, was sitting just above the 50 arc, Coventry / Frawley end I think in the 3rd, he went in for the tackle and there was this huge slam of skin on skin. Not sure who he tackled but he sure felt it. All of us in that area of the ground heard the impact and everyone was commenting on it.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Forget his rucking. Yeah, it was good. But it's a novelty. I doubt he'll ruck against Gawn (though I'd like to see it).

But let's talk about his midfield work. Brutal. Instinctive. Clean. Efficient. Creative. Defensive.

Some of us have been asking for him to be played in the middle for some time. This is why.

He's done well on the wing. But that's a position that really highlights and expose his weakness, without really playing to his strengths.

I noticed Baker went to the wing. Now there's an idea.

Marlion's an inside mid. No more discussion.

Reactions: 6 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Forget his rucking. Yeah, it was good. But it's a novelty. I doubt he'll ruck against Gawn (though I'd like to see it).

But let's talk about his midfield work. Brutal. Instinctive. Clean. Efficient. Creative. Defensive.

Some of us have been asking for him to be played in the middle for some time. This is why.

He's done well on the wing. But that's a position that really highlights and expose his weakness, without really playing to his strengths.

I noticed Baker went to the wing. Now there's an idea.

Marlion's an inside mid. No more discussion.
Pickett still spent long stretches on the wing

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Yep, and was much more effective inside.
His defensive work on the wings (along with Kmac) were again massive reasons why the Saints couldn't get their run and gun going. They were looking for the double ups, but we manned up so well and he closed the gaps all night, and for some reason Saints refused to go to 1 on 1 contests, so they pissed around with the ball and then we took it off them,

Reactions: 1 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
His defensive work on the wings (along with Kmac) were again massive reasons why the Saints couldn't get their run and gun going. They were looking for the double ups, but we manned up so well and he closed the gaps all night, and for some reason Saints refused to go to 1 on 1 contests, so they pissed around with the ball and then we took it off them,

We had a very different wing set up to what we've done previously. In fact, our whole line up was new.

Kmac still patrolled his wing, but Baker spent a huge part of the game on the other. Graham, Castagna, Rioli, Aarts started almost every centre bounce as our forwards but lined up on the very edge of the forward fifty, moving basically instantly into the centre square. Each spent some time on the wing.

We started a heap of centre bounces with Martin, Edwards, Bolton and a Pickett on the inside. Dusty played very little forward.

And Cotchy spent a huge part of the game at half back, also moving into the wing.

We played much more one on one, stayed on the corridor side of our opponents, and got our good kickers further up toward our attacking fifty.

It was very interesting.

Reactions: 8 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
We had a very different wing set up to what we've done previously. In fact, our whole line up was new.

Kmac still patrolled his wing, but Baker spent a huge part of the game on the other. Graham, Castagna, Rioli, Aarts started almost every centre bounce as our forwards but lined up on the very edge of the forward fifty, moving basically instantly into the centre square. Each spent some time on the wing.

We started a heap of centre bounces with Martin, Edwards, Bolton and a Pickett on the inside. Dusty played very little forward.

And Cotchy spent a huge part of the game at half back, also moving into the wing.

We played much more one on one, stayed on the corridor side of our opponents, and got our good kickers further up toward our attacking fifty.

It was very interesting.

Pickett still started a lot of centre bounces on the wing, and Bakes was the rotation.

I noted the F50 setup as well. It was Lambert that was in there for a lot as well. We tended to position the smalls a bit wider with the 2 mids (usually Graham and Lambert with 2 of George, Aaarts and Rioli a bit further wide). The 2 mids would push up to impact the back of the stoppage (which is where we have been hurt a bit over the last few weeks).

I really liked the changed structure of this, shows we are trying new things and I think they were really important to how we played tonight.

Reactions: 4 users

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
SHocking working on a new rule that after a ruck contest, ruckman aren’t allowed to compete for the ball with midfielders. Apparently he was irate at the sight of Richmond playing another undersized ruckman.

Reactions: 5 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Hill went off the ground.
The spare jocks were required.
Hocking will investigate the 'Spare jocks interchange'

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Wow what a surprise how well Pickett can jump. Havent really seen him fly for marks but he has a talent. Dont know how well the ruck idea would go against a better ruckman, their ruckman was totally outclassed. One of Pickett's best games for sure.

Reactions: 1 user

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Wow what a surprise how well Pickett can jump. Havent really seen him fly for marks but he has a talent. Dont know how well the ruck idea would go against a better ruckman, their ruckman was totally outclassed. One of Pickett's best games for sure.
There ruckman was no better then a Robert Schaefer or Todd Elton type.
He isn't AFL quality and we took full advantage of that.
Pickett had him shitting himself.