A-League threads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

A-League threads [Merged]

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Re: A League Football 2006-2007 (merged)

jb03 said:
Haven't heard much from the Ernie Merrick baggers that were rife last season.

If they keep winning they'll give him life membership instead. On the Melbourne Victory forums some of those who bagged him are saying they will write him letters of apology and rightly so.

Amazing how a few wins (ok six) will turn people's views around.

Actually looking back, some early season form was misleading for the Victory last year. They were assembled very late prior to the season and were very light on in midfield. The departure of Thompson did not help either.

This year Vargas in defence, Muscat in midfield and Fred/Allsopp/Thompson up front have been the turn-around. Fred is clearly the best of the Brazilians - even though Allessandro has more "bling" factor.

Todays game - very enjoyable, I brought two mates who had not been before and they will come again. Great games from Fred, Thompson, and Vargas at the back again was good.

We should have made it about 6 : 1 with all the chances in the middle of the second half!

It's the unfortunate Newcastle Jets away next week, then Adelaide FC at TD again in a fortnight. Get along, its good fun and keeps the non-AFL season less boring.

Liverpool

How did that Julia and Kevin thing work out? :)
Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne

Doolz85 said:
victory creamed the roar this arvo at the dome. fred was fantastic is his first game back from suspension. 4 - 1wass the final scoreline, with muscat getting 2 from the penalty spot. i think he leads the league in goals, although 5 of his 6 have been penalties...

26 thousand were there.

You'd think a 30,000-40,000 seat stadium would be a MUST, instead of the 20,000 seat stadium they are proposing to build.
If Storm continues to have a successful era, and the Victory continues to do well each season, then a bigger sized stadium is a must, or ir will be a white elephant.

26,000 is a good crowd, considering the Grand Final was the day before ( so people would still be knackered after a big night out on the booze) as well as Storm playing the same evening.

D85

///
Nov 22, 2004
coburg

35,000 would be a good number i think. initially i did think that 22,000 to 25,000 would be enough, but ive changed my tune a little bit ;D

interested

Tiger Superstar

What you effectively want is a full house each and every week. Thats how any sports team makes money. 30,000 would, I think, not fill up every week. Its just not likely to happen. Also - you want demand for seats so you can push prices up.
25,000 would suit the Victory fine I think in terms of profits.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

interested said:
What you effectively want is a full house each and every week. Thats how any sports team makes money. 30,000 would, I think, not fill up every week. Its just not likely to happen. Also - you want demand for seats so you can push prices up.
25,000 would suit the Victory fine I think in terms of profits.

Except for the cost in alienating fans who can't get in. This was why they moved to Telstra dome this year.

This would be fine if they still move blockbuster games to the TD - but then why build the Bubble Stadium at all?

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

Liverpool said:
7 from 7....9 points clear on top! 8)

Good effort from Newcastle who played bravely and tried hard to score. The game was pretty even in terms of possession and attack - in fact Newcastle probably had the better of it.

Mighty Danny Allsopp never looked like missing one on one with the keeper on both occasions.

Where to now for Claudinho? Looks to frail to cope with the robust Australian style of defence - though he was unlucky to be called offside twice when clearly onside.

Big game at the Phone Dome this week lads.

D85

///
Nov 22, 2004
coburg

yes he has, that means a hell of a lot to the A-League!

FightingFury

Its back to Brooke time again!
Nov 25, 2003
Richmond

I have snared 4 corparate tickets to the Victory Vs Mariners game on the 3rd Nov.

Should be awesome with free :beer and dinner to boot.
Good way to watch my first Victory game.

tannerztigers

He will Conca the world
Jul 4, 2006
Jan Juc

Is anyone doing the tipping on sportal.com. Im 4th on 19 i think and could of been 20 missed a tip which was central v knights which oviously central was gonna be my tip

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne

missed the game against newcastle as i was in lakes entrance. i went to all the pubs to see if one of them was playing the game on the big screen but they all said they had ended their subsciptions in april this year when austar bumped their pub prices from $500 per month to $1300 per month. whoa!!!

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne

Ian4 said:
missed the game against newcastle as i was in lakes entrance. i went to all the pubs to see if one of them was playing the game on the big screen but they all said they had ended their subsciptions in april this year when austar bumped their pub prices from $500 per month to $1300 per month. whoa!!!

Yeah?
Wonder what the idea of that is?
Maybe to try and make up for the shortfall they are going to get from pubs and individuals unsubscribing because the FoxFooty channel is now defunct?
Bloody big increase, all the same.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

Top win for the Victory in Sydney last night - the Bling FC came out hard and the old man Corica scored on a counter attack in the 8th minute.

Sydney dominated the first half but the tide turned when Corica did a hammy. The Victory looked all purpose after the break and came out all guns blazing. Archie scored after a great run and cutback from the end line by Fred - a nice quick toe poke beat Bolton at his near post - the Sydney keeper was not help by Danny Allsopp giving him a nice bump just as the shot went past - ref didn't notice though so it was all good.

More good play by Fred and a nice cross in from Carceras allowed Archie to nail his second with a great header from the far post back inside the near post - hard to do.

Excellent support from the Melbourne BWB and affiliates - clearly louder than the Cove fans judging from the TV coverage.

Next week the hapless KFC in New Zealand.

D85

///
Nov 22, 2004
coburg

quality win. probably the best in our short history in terms of grit and determination and will to succeed.

cannot stand corica, shouldda got a red card for his challenge just befroe half time! :mad:

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

Doolz85 said:
quality win. probably the best in our short history in terms of grit and determination and will to succeed.

cannot stand corica, shouldda got a red card for his challenge just befroe half time! :mad:

Yeah - but I think that's when he did his hammie and had to go off shortly after so sucked in to him.

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne

It actually worked out o.k with Muscat getting a card too.
He can have a rest now (he'l miss the game against NZ), and I'm guessing Sarkies will get Muscat's job in the middle partnering Brebner.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

Liverpool said:
It actually worked out o.k with Muscat getting a card too.
He can have a rest now (he'l miss the game against NZ), and I'm guessing Sarkies will get Muscat's job in the middle partnering Brebner.

I'd like to see Sarkies get more game time but Fred seems to have taken his spot.

My mail is Mark Byrnes will replace Muscat.

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne

Antman,
Didn't Fred play out on the right against Sydney, with Muscat/Brebner partnering each other in the middle...and Caceres out on the left?

I haven't watched the game from the other night against Sydney yet :-[ ...was at the rugby, and taped the Victory, but haven't got round to watching it yet.....so was just wondering.

D85

///
Nov 22, 2004
coburg

byrnes will come into the squad, with panta getting the start, id like to see AT LEAST 45 mins out of sarkies, that boy got game